What's more???? Frustration. - Radiator Fan Kaput

Re: What's more???? Frustration. - Radiator Fan Kaput

delrosa81;702519 said:
All these wear and tear are normal for this car. My car is rching 4 yrs old this coming dec.

I have replaced the following items:-

Oct 2010: Changed New Gearbox, under warranty
Mar 2011: Changed a new set of shock absorbers
Aug 2011: Air Con fan coil leaking, changed a new fan coil
Sep 2011: :Leaking Vanos sensor x 2 and engine oil filter housing leaking. Changed all the 3 oil seals, change dunno wat pulley and changed the washer fluid water pump due to leaking also.

Today Nov 2011: Now car in work shop to rectify the following, leaking oil sump gasket, leaking engine oil pump, leaking rear axle box or rear differential, leaking power steering piping, changing new whole set of radiator hoses top and bottom and still awaiting for more bad news.

From forums and friends, I have known these common wear and tear issues so my expectation of the car's reliability is still within tolerable limits. But the thing is due to the complexity of accessing some of these problem areas, car will not be ready within a day, thats what pisses me off. At least 2 to 3 days to properly rectify all the problems.

As such, I look forward to "problem free" motoring for the next 2 to 3 yrs after all the rectifications.

Don be too fustrated over all these issues, get it replaced and done up properly and the car should serve you nicely for quite awhile.

Happy Motoring!

Cheers!

Hi, your ride & my ride can become brothers man.

You are right. I hate car to be place in the workshop for 2 to 3 days. It's really inconvenience me. By the way, how much did you replace your shock absorbers??

franklkk;702586 said:
Hi, your ride & my ride can become brothers man.

You are right. I hate car to be place in the workshop for 2 to 3 days. It's really inconvenience me. By the way, how much did you replace your shock absorbers??

haa haa yeah, But honestly, car was problem free (almost) for 1st 3 years. So still very much wear and tear after the 3rd year onwards.

I got the workshop to complete everything by 6pm daily so I can drive home and drive to work. morrow gotta send it in again for them to repair the rest. till now, they only assembling back my oil sump. The engine oil pump and rear axle box hopefully can be done by tomorrow. then wed do up the radiator hoses and engine mountings and also rectify the power steering fluid leak.

Headache man......but boh pianz la....part and parcel of car ownership I guess.

As for shock absorbers, I replaced it with Bilstein B8 shock absorbers. If I remember correctly, everything in was around 1.2k++

delrosa81;702600 said:
haa haa yeah, But honestly, car was problem free (almost) for 1st 3 years. So still very much wear and tear after the 3rd year onwards.

I got the workshop to complete everything by 6pm daily so I can drive home and drive to work. morrow gotta send it in again for them to repair the rest. till now, they only assembling back my oil sump. The engine oil pump and rear axle box hopefully can be done by tomorrow. then wed do up the radiator hoses and engine mountings and also rectify the power steering fluid leak.

Headache man......but boh pianz la....part and parcel of car ownership I guess.

As for shock absorbers, I replaced it with Bilstein B8 shock absorbers. If I remember correctly, everything in was around 1.2k++

That's a good arrangement between u n the workshop. Solved all your problems. From your list, all the repair will cause u a bomb man. As what u have mentioned. Hope all these will last u a couple of years. Beside, which workshop did u send to replace your coilover? Can PM me the lobang?

delrosa81;702600 said:

Hi, You really got a long list comparing to mine... What is Vanos sensor leaking? Symptom to look out for?

How bilstein B8 compare to stock asbsorber? I am plan to change the my shocks too.

eddienike;702784 said:
Hi, You really got a long list comparing to mine... What is Vanos sensor leaking? Symptom to look out for?

How bilstein B8 compare to stock asbsorber? I am plan to change the my shocks too.

Yeah, no choice, all wear and tear I guess.

ok for the vanos sensor, its actually near the top of the engine, just above the pulley belts area, got 2 plugs into the engine, those are the 2 sensor plugs where there are oil seals inside, if leak, you can see the cables all coated with oil. Another oil seal to look out for is the oil filter housing area, that is another area that will leak.

Bilstein B8 is stiffer than stock, for the 1st month u will feel very nice dampening, etc. after the first month it feels the same as stock liao la. thats what i feel haa haa.

delrosa81;702798 said:
Yeah, no choice, all wear and tear I guess.

ok for the vanos sensor, its actually near the top of the engine, just above the pulley belts area, got 2 plugs into the engine, those are the 2 sensor plugs where there are oil seals inside, if leak, you can see the cables all coated with oil. Another oil seal to look out for is the oil filter housing area, that is another area that will leak.

Bilstein B8 is stiffer than stock, for the 1st month u will feel very nice dampening, etc. after the first month it feels the same as stock liao la. thats what i feel haa haa.

I am clearer now. Tks for information.

Ur butt is pretty fast adaptive.. Haha... not sure is it not too bumpy for me.

Btw dun mind u PM me the workshop to purchase the Bilstein shocks. Tks

To update my 2nd day of repairs, items, etc

Done: Engine Oil Sump Gasket replaced.
Doing: Engine Oil Pump Seal, Valvetronic Seal and Engine top cover gasket seal.

Still pending: Radiator Hoses, Thermostat, Rear Axle Box Oil seals. I am still thinking whether to do the power steering cos the leak is very very minor, workshop advise is to just drive first, when leaking badly then do.

Another would be engine mountings, workshop also advise still ok la, don waste money do first. Guess I will not do both the power steering or engine mounting for the time being first.

franklkk;671162 said:
Lastly wear & tear. Door lock at right rear passenger door. Cost me $265/- (part & labour).

List of wear & tear that I have replaced.

1. Gasket.
2. Valve rocker cover.
3. Radiator fan
4. Brake rotor & pads
5. Brake sensor
6. Oil Pump
7. Air-con coil leaking. (on hold)
8. Radiator piping.
9. Rear passenger door lock. (Right)

Rgs

Latest replacement since I brought the car on 1 Oct 2010.

-con't-
10. Repair Gearbox Valve Body
11. Replace Rear LEFT passenger door lock.

Latest wear & tear lining up.

1. Radiator spare tanks leaking.
2. Water bypass hose leaking.
3. Water Stopper need to replace.

Think twice if you intend to buy a 2nd car. :verysad:

franklkk;757255 said:

-con't-

Over the live of my used E39 (3.5 yrs), i had spend close to 10k (including 8 pcs of tyres). No regret. I simply luv the drive.

franklkk;757255 said:

Franklkk, what had happened to your valve body? which work shop do repair?

davidtch;757355 said:
Over the live of my used E39 (3.5 yrs), i had spend close to 10k (including 8 pcs of tyres). No regret. I simply luv the drive.

Is reasonable lor..
I have been trying to keep below $3k/yr..
So for the last 9-mths I calculated.. I have already spend $2.4k on maintenance..

But of course if there is a major one, sure will over the budget of $3k/yr.

Jarren;757925 said:
Is reasonable lor..
I have been trying to keep below $3k/yr..
So for the last 9-mths I calculated.. I have already spend $2.4k on maintenance..

But of course if there is a major one, sure will over the budget of $3k/yr.
If u car already reach 5 yrs & u intend to keep it to 10 yrs, i would suggest to change:
1. Shocks.
2. Steering tie-rod
3. Front & rear wishbone
4. Petrol pump & filter
5. Alternator & batt

It would help to maximise the value of these items. For item 2 & 3, it usually last up to 7 - 8 yrs. For item 1, 4 & 5, usually last up to 100k km.

eddienike;757700 said:
Franklkk, what had happened to your valve body? which work shop do repair?

Oh. I always felt that my gearbox is not sensitive after engaging either to Reverse or Drive.I need to wait for half a second before start moving. Moverover, my gearbox error code appeared & diagnosed that my valve body is faulty. So, just have to spend money to repair lor.

The WS is located at Kaki Bukit. It is not a sponsor WS in the forum.

franklkk;757948 said:
Oh. I always felt that my gearbox is not sensitive after engaging either to Reverse or Drive.I need to wait for half a second before start moving. Moverover, my gearbox error code appeared & diagnosed that my valve body is faulty. So, just have to spend money to repair lor.

The WS is located at Kaki Bukit. It is not a sponsor WS in the forum.

Interested to know the WS n the cost. Can PM me?

zorro;613752 said:
My car hit 40k a lot of wear and tear parts starts to fail......so at 105k sure need a lot of maintenance if the previous owner didnt replace them...watch out for things like gear-box slips/jerk, spark plug ignition coil, Valvetronic motor, position sensor, suspension components, brake system and the cooling and air-cond system.

BMW is not as reliable when compare to the Jap/Kor cars due to the design and the high operating temp here....

bor, what is position sensor?

franklkk;653033 said:
Latest updated for my car.

1. Air-con coil leaking. Need to replace.

2. Radiator leaking. Need to replace.

It is true that when a car reach 5 yrs old, wear & tear set in. Problems comes one after another. This time, the replace cost will cost me a bomb. I might think of selling it off my car to replace for VW Jetta. New car make me feel safer. I am afraid that next time my update will be gear box & some other unexpected problems.

Any advice from the bros here the repair cost for the above items?

Regards

aircon coil 1200, radiator 600. I chg these 2 items between 90-100kkm. Bro, dont be disappointed. Whn you touched up yr car & in good running conditions, bring her to NS highway for 200kmh. u will know why BMW is the best seller in SIN & WW. the driveability & stability are simple cant find elsewhere. @ 200kmh, i still holding steering with right hand only, talking & relaxing. My wife said, why do drive so slow:huhhuh: because she felt the stability. Previously my 2003 corolla, @160kmh, need to hold steering damn tight with both hand.

delrosa81;702519 said:
All these wear and tear are normal for this car. My car is rching 4 yrs old this coming dec.

I have replaced the following items:-

Oct 2010: Changed New Gearbox, under warranty
Mar 2011: Changed a new set of shock absorbers
Aug 2011: Air Con fan coil leaking, changed a new fan coil
Sep 2011: :Leaking Vanos sensor x 2 and engine oil filter housing leaking. Changed all the 3 oil seals, change dunno wat pulley and changed the washer fluid water pump due to leaking also.

Today Nov 2011: Now car in work shop to rectify the following, leaking oil sump gasket, leaking engine oil pump, leaking rear axle box or rear differential, leaking power steering piping, changing new whole set of radiator hoses top and bottom and still awaiting for more bad news.

From forums and friends, I have known these common wear and tear issues so my expectation of the car's reliability is still within tolerable limits. But the thing is due to the complexity of accessing some of these problem areas, car will not be ready within a day, thats what pisses me off. At least 2 to 3 days to properly rectify all the problems.

As such, I look forward to "problem free" motoring for the next 2 to 3 yrs after all the rectifications.

Don be too fustrated over all these issues, get it replaced and done up properly and the car should serve you nicely for quite awhile.

Happy Motoring!

Cheers!

bro, whr do you chg suspension? how much?

franklkk;757255 said:

-con't-

Latest. I have replaced all suspension.

chinweyngee;759508 said:
aircon coil 1200, radiator 600. I chg these 2 items between 90-100kkm. Bro, dont be disappointed. Whn you touched up yr car & in good running conditions, bring her to NS highway for 200kmh. u will know why BMW is the best seller in SIN & WW. the driveability & stability are simple cant find elsewhere. @ 200kmh, i still holding steering with right hand only, talking & relaxing. My wife said, why do drive so slow:huhhuh: because she felt the stability. Previously my 2003 corolla, @160kmh, need to hold steering damn tight with both hand.

pls dun put other road users at risk

franklkk;787545 said:
Latest. I have replaced all suspension.

Can pm me the WS where u repaired your gearbox ? Tks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
77vincomcom

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back