Where to buy Castrol oil

Re: Where to buy Castrol oil

Samurai;832250 said:
So the profit margin is sucked up by the source. :shoot: Change supplier! :shoot:

Some sources you cannot say no too.

Bought Castrol Edge 5W40 from MX 2 days back, $16/L...

xspace;834552 said:

Good oil. But M cars need Castrol Edge TWS 10W60. MX have?

Tanzy;834568 said:
Good oil. But M cars need Castrol Edge TWS 10W60. MX have?
I don't think they have. Only place i know is ES.

xspace;834552 said:

Are you referring to this?

Castrol

This oil can be use on F10 523i?

Edge 10W60 seems to be manufactured or distributed in Malaysia so its easy to get them there.

Physicist;836388 said:
Edge 10W60 seems to be manufactured or distributed in Malaysia so its easy to get them there.

For M engines, it must be TWS and not the regular 10W60 Edge. Base oil is different.

I am not sure. I can't tell, but if they say it is recommended then you have to take their word for it.
The most immediate difference between regular Edge and Edge TWS is the base oil. One is Group IV and the other is Group V respectively.

Just came back from Eng Soon they don't have stock for TWS 10W60, any bro can advise where to get them?

Thks

cps7733;900511 said:
Just came back from Eng Soon they don't have stock for TWS 10W60, any bro can advise where to get them?

Thks

Munich Auto. Use many many vouchers and it will be slightly cheaper than Eng Soon. Munich sells at $48/bottle.

racingminds;809685 said:
Eng Soon was 26/L. PML was 47/L if I remember correctly. PML used to be around 40/L but BMW Asia removed the discount.

That's almost half price!!!

M-Noobie;903158 said:
That's almost half price!!!

The manual recommends Castrol TWS, but you don't have to. Many other brands out there to try and so far we all have our favourites apart from Castrol. However make sure you stick to the recommended viscosity! ///Ms need 10w-60!

HCH;903914 said:
The manual recommends Castrol TWS, but you don't have to. Many other brands out there to try and so far we all have our favourites apart from Castrol. However make sure you stick to the recommended viscosity! ///Ms need 10w-60!

Castrol TWS is a very good oil. It may not be the best idea to stick to any 10W-60.
A quick search on the internet, especially at BTOG will provide many nights of lengthy reads as to why it should be the only oil to be used in the M3. Plus at $26/L, it is not pricey also, assuming you are trying to save a couple of dollars off the ownership expense of an M car. It's pittance compared to the depreciation suffered.

Tanzy;903917 said:
Castrol TWS is a very good oil. It may not be the best idea to stick to any 10W-60.
A quick search on the internet, especially at BTOG will provide many nights of lengthy reads as to why it should be the only oil to be used in the M3. Plus at $26/L, it is not pricey also, assuming you are trying to save a couple of dollars off the ownership expense of an M car. It's pittance compared to the depreciation suffered.
There are a lot of clever ppl on this forum. It seems that they have better knowledge that the manufacturer.

Tanzy;903917 said:

The amount of fuel it drinks alone makes the price of engine oil insignificant!
Yes, very lengthy reads. It almost seems mandatory that every M Board/folder must have a "Why TWS" discussion. The "TWS only" arguments invariably lead from the oil being recommended by BMW and being adventurous unnecessarily exposes the car to risk of failure. It's great news to the dealerships if everybody kept their car stock. But sampling different kinds of oils is no different from slapping on aftermarket parts. Oils are in fact safer because they adhere to established industry standards of minimum performance criteria. Unlike say getting the ECU tweaked by a tuner.
Castrol has tie ups with numerous other manufacturers, Volvo, VW etc where they print the Castrol brand on the oil fill caps and/or cite it as a recommended oil in the manuals. The only difference with ///M is we seemed to have an oil 'designed' for us. Even that doesn't seem too convincing when it seems that TWS is used interchangeably with 'EDGE' depending on the sales jurisdictions. http://www.lindvigs.com/obioban/EDGE_10W-60.pdf . Are we then now to conclude that we should be using Castrol EDGE? Is there really a pressing reason to ensure the 'right oil' goes into the car when even the manufacturer is so loose with nomenclature?
The ///M - TWS tie up seems more marketing driven in nature. Castrol is a good oil. But there are other equally good products out there. Until ///M tells me we should never put any other oil into our engines, I will continue to cast a wandering eye over other products... ditto non-OEM approved tyres.... ditto rims.... ditto.... ooops... LTA is looking.

HCH;904022 said:
Yes, very lengthy reads. It almost seems mandatory that every M Board/folder must have a "Why TWS" discussion. The "TWS only" arguments invariably lead from the oil being recommended by BMW and being adventurous unnecessarily exposes the car to risk of failure. It's great news to the dealerships if everybody kept their car stock. But sampling different kinds of oils is no different from slapping on aftermarket parts. Oils are in fact safer because they adhere to established industry standards of minimum performance criteria. Unlike say getting the ECU tweaked by a tuner.
Castrol has tie ups with numerous other manufacturers, Volvo, VW etc where they print the Castrol brand on the oil fill caps and/or cite it as a recommended oil in the manuals. The only difference with ///M is we seemed to have an oil 'designed' for us. Even that doesn't seem too convincing when it seems that TWS is used interchangeably with 'EDGE' depending on the sales jurisdictions. http://www.lindvigs.com/obioban/EDGE_10W-60.pdf . Are we then now to conclude that we should be using Castrol EDGE? Is there really a pressing reason to ensure the 'right oil' goes into the car when even the manufacturer is so loose with nomenclature?
The ///M - TWS tie up seems more marketing driven in nature. Castrol is a good oil. But there are other equally good products out there. Until ///M tells me we should never put any other oil into our engines, I will continue to cast a wandering eye over other products... ditto non-OEM approved tyres.... ditto rims.... ditto.... ooops... LTA is looking.

There is no ambiguity with the naming of Castrol Edge TWS 10W-60 with respect to the M3. Just use the one with BMW part number. Castrol will continue to market it's off the shelf oils as it sees fit but it also will continue to supply BMW with the correct oil. In Singapore, it's simple. Buy it from Eng Soon or Munich Auto. Doesn't take much effort.

Good example with aftermarket parts. How many aftermarket parts do genuinely improve performance?
What is wrong with using a recommended oil that is considered safe and approved?
Do you feel being ripped off for paying $26/L?
Is there any significant saving to be had by using another oil?
If there is a better performing oil, how do you know it is the better?
Better than the approved Castrol oil for all the different driving conditions the engine will go through?
What are the gains from using other oils?
Just to be different or convince yourself that you know better?

BMW and Castrol will stand behind their recommended oil based on their testing and engineering. Who's going to back up any other XYZ engine oil if something happens?

Last edited by a moderator:

HCH;904022 said:
The only way to know which 1 is better is through UOI. W/o that it is possible to do. By the way, please raise hand if you have ANY UOI before.

I admit I nato only.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
n666fit

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back