Why not X3?

Re: Why not X3?

WooolfyPrincesss;343026 said:
My X3 is preowned. Its 1 year old when i got it. Its in very gd condition. wif 18" rims. Everything Original from PML wif warrenty still.... Depreciation is $10.5k per year. I got a very good deal cos owner is an expat...He's leaving SIN soon. So, he rushing to close e deal.
Buying 2nd hand definately is more cost saving. Moreover, the purpose of chosing an X3 is for e purpose of my 3 dogs.
So, you may really wanna consider preowned so as to bleed less especially if NEWER X3 is coming soon in 1-2 years.....

Wow! that's a good deal you got there.
Yup! Going 2nd hand would help cushion the impending drop in value when the new car comes along unless the new one looks more frugle :)

But I'm wary of used car people but may give the one you pointed out in sgcarmart a look. Maybe I could be lucky to lend almost a good deal as you :lol2:

BlackStealth;343010 said:
I just got a used X3, the one with the M54 engine. (cause i have the option to go back to my usual nonsense mods)

Depreciation is about $11-13k if you get a used one. I have been looking around and there are only a few (maybe 2 out of 7) really good conditioned ones around. So far, have been doing some research, it seems that the reliability&maintainence of the X3 is pretty good.

Only three common complaints from all reviews on all year models are:

1)Fuel Consumption (Better FC with the newer engines (late 06 onwards)
2)Stiff Ride Quality (especially more pronounced on the sports package) I LOVE IT!
3)No matter what BMW says, it's not an off-roader. Dont try it.

I put in $150 and gets about 550km driving MOST conservatively on mostly highways, hence, i am bleeding too in the petrol department.

As for the xenons/adaptive headlights/running boards/racks etc... one can get them from ebay rather than paying a bomb at PML. I have checked and even took down all the part numbers.

As for space, i feel that the interior of the X5 compared to the X3 isnt THAT much bigger..same for the boot space. And if you wanna compare FC for X3 and X5 as compared to space vs mpg??? Then i think one must be very confused between wanting image and FC minded- given today's cost of fuel.

As for being lesser than an X5?? Hmmm never thought about it. Arent there 2 seperate categories? I may feel 'abit' lesser by 500cc - if i was next to a 3.0 lItre X3. But only by horsepowermind, not image (And i cannot find them legally anywhere in Singapore, but all one have to do, is to call "D" for heart surgery)

After talking a lot of cock, i also feel X5 is nicer than X3-for the price of another toyota corolla. It's way more expensive to buy and to maintain for the SAME purpose of usage. (Does X5 still only seat 5?)

What else? Oh, i have bicycle racks for sale for the X3. Anyone interested?

Oh Oh, last but not least, I chose the X3 because--there are not many on the road. I kinda like that idea. Might be stupid to some, but i like the looks, the budget fits me, usage serves my purpose and ITS not everywhere on the road.

Thanks for your sharing. Very comprehensive and touch on same concerns as muar :)

WooolfyPrincesss;343042 said:
If you can find one tat depreciate around $11k plus minus is very good already!! Better still if it comes wif moon roof, 18" rims, side steps, roof rack n Xenon. :lol2:
Mine is still under warrenty. Till next Year. So, cant do modification now. Got to wait till warrenty over.........Hope you find yr LOVE car soon....:cloud9:

Hey, that's a good guide. Thanks.

moon roof, 18" rims, side steps, roof rack n Xenon
This is what I would have spec in :)

What sort of mods do you plan to do on the car that needs for it to be out of warranty? :)

WooolfyPrincesss;343054 said:
I wanna do e foldable side mirrors. Those tat folds inwards/upwards when parked. Cos in SIN, alot of carpark lots are quiet narrow. Eg: Ikea Carpark etc.....:cloud9:

Hey, those you don't have to wait..
even if they are not options, at the very most they should only unwarrant the portion that affects the side mirrors and not the whole car, IMO.

Hmm.. I think if people see my parked SUV, I would reckon they park further away else ding ding ding to them :)

hehehe, yeah, so rough one. Later see you on singapore seen.

Take care of your car. no bang bang

hahaha oosh oosh, you think they sled dogs is it?

Ok, take care of yourself and your car please

END OT

Hey Dr DRV, how's your 335 doing? Better track it soon :p 6Km/L..pretty steep there. Glad you are having fun with your new ride...based on your record, think you will be selling it in 2010? haha...

OK, anyone have xenons lights and running boards for X3 to sell me? please...

DRV;343020 said:
BlackStealth,

Did you get your X3 the same time as me? We met at the dealership?
Haha, getting rid of bicycle racks already?

IMHO, X3 is less common than ubiquitous 5 series and has more road presence. Most people do not view 5 series as same league as X5... X5 is really another league up, somewhere between 5 series & 7 series, in fact closer to 7 series.
X5 now comes with option for 7 seats, although last row is impossible.

X3 is now really good value for money. Only thing to beware is that a new X3 will likely be launched in the next 1-2 years, so preferably buy used to avoid getting hit there.

Off topic but I just went up to KL and got 10-11km/L on NS highway. It's possible man if drive with light foot.
Most times I get 6km/L :-(

Hey BlackStealth,

Not flying today? I'm flying tomorrow to Europe... OT but enjoying my 335! It's great! Just checked, average milage is about 8.5km/L. 6km/L only when it's floored to the max... rarely really 'cos S'pore no space.

Was considering an X3 some time before to put my doggie in the back & the golf. It's beautiful... and I thought yours comes with the running boards...

Maybe I'll get the new X3 in 2010... hahaha

When I bought the last M54-engined X3 from PML, got it for $153K on a $50K OMV. Not bad at all IMHO. I was (and still am) risk-averse to the new all-aluminium N52 engine with Valvetronic, although the current one pumps up 218BHP vs my 192BHP.

That said, I chose the X3 over the 5-er that I was test driving because of its x-Drive (AWD) first and then the space.

Having owned RWD and FWD cars like forever, this was my first AWD car and I can say that nothing beats its wet-road handling characteristics. Safe and composed, no matter how slippery the fast tight corners are. If you value the others in the car with you, choosing the X3 is a safe bet ... not only that, its tall and solid ... and it all adds up during an accident.

* I had my fair share of fish tails and oversteer tail-outs on my previous RWD, on wet roads, with an aggressive right foot! Thank you very much. But not with the x-Drive(n) X3.

On dry roads, its handling on curvy 'B' roads is very close to that of a RWD sedan, in fact, much more neutral. No FWD fight at all. Being AWD however, it may have a slight tendancy to understeer just a bit at its limits, but nothing an ease-off of the pedal will not correct. In fact, after having tested the XC90, CRV, RX300 and the usual suspects, I must say that BMW's X3 is the best-handling SUV (on roads) yet. That near-50/50 balance is still very palpable.

But the best attribute of the X3 is on high-speed, long haul drives. It is smooth, comfortable and relatively quiet (actually even more so than when it is in start/stop traffic, or in-city drive). On weekend nights, when I used to fetch my son back to SAFTI camp and back, at 160 km/h along AYE is what I would really term as a Grand Turismo cruise. Even a colleague of mine, who owns both the E60 and E90 sedans commented on the X3's comfortable ride (I did not tell him that mine came standard with normal tyres, while his are both on run-flats!).

That, of course, means that I have a spare tyre at the back, which was requisite for me, if I were to travel up north.

Dimensions-wise, the M54X3 then was nearly the same size as the then-X5. I recall, from the specs, the X5 was only about 2cm wider than the X3 and

WooolfyPrincesss;342952 said:
Harlow Snoopy.......You lookin for meee??:lol2:

ya you and your SSSs :):):)

thanks for taking the time to come in :) cos you seem busy lately

E83_X3, good insights into the car. Since X3 is similar height compared to X5 but lighter, how does it perform in windy days?

With a kerb weight of 1.7-1.8 tonnes, I don't think you will notice any difference on its traction and stability with the kind of 'gale forces' that we get here, or even up north - along the NS highway ... in spite of its larger cross-section area (compared to a lower-slung sedan).

The above is with regards to the X3. Have not compared with the X5.

X5 though heavier, has a slightly larger cross-section area, so these might just even out ... don't know.

i feel the previous 2.5l x3 is more than sufficient if you want a fast ride .. accel is there with the inline 6 .. no need to get x5 if u want a powerful ride .. the x3 is powerful enough .. just my 2 cents ..

i feel the previous 2.5l x3 is more than sufficient if you want a fast ride .. accel is there with the inline 6 .. no need to get x5 if u want a powerful ride .. the x3 is powerful enough .. just my 2 cents ..

Not sure why a reply to a 3yr old post. U selling one?

hi guys , thinking of buying an '06 X3 , any comments about cars this old?

Efficient FC seems like a lost cause , mileage done at 78k (cause for concern to gearbox?). Otherwise , this may be my 1st beemer and i love the drive. Love love love....

appreciate any advise at all.

Hi,sorry to TS for hijacking your tread as I cannot create a new thread. Just gotten my new X3 M-sport 35i last sat and wanted to do a short review about it.. :) It is M sport with Alpine White and red/brown interior with wood trim. I know some people find it werid but I loved the colour tone after seeing it in real life. :)

Having only driven only less 200km on it and when I got the vehicle,it had only 22km. Thus,I have only had a short time with it. Having driven the E90 320i pre-FL before this car,I can compare the huge difference in both cars.

Pros:
1) The engine!!!! The N55 engine is really a huge huge jump from the 320i's block(should be N42?) Coupled with the 8 speed gearbox the pick up is super smooth even without reving over 4.5k for the run in period.

2) The handling,espically the dynamic handling package. With comfort setting,the difference is huge even with koni FSD's on my E90. The car really glides over irregular surfaces with only minor bumps for deeper portholes. But at high speed you can really the floating of the car when the road is a bit 'wavy'. Have yet to try the sports mode as wanted to run in the supension first.

3) The space!! There is really a lot of space in the car. The E90 feels cramped due to the short roof. The rear seats are also quite comfy.

4) The panorama roof!!! Huge difference with the cover open. You won't feel the 'darkness' of the black headliner with the M-sport package. The only thing is closing of the cover takes quite a while due to the length. Contributes to the comy of the car with the vast amount of natural light.

5) The HIFI pro option. The sound from 16 speakers is a huge jump from the basic in the E90. Even before the running in the tuning of the equalizer, the sound is really really good. Espically with the surround sound on. I can feel the sub compared to the E90. The usage with USB is also very easy. Loved the sound. I have upgraded my sound system in the E90 to a 3 way quite high end system with tube amp and this system is comparable to it. :D

6) The M sport package. I really love the M sport steering wheel!!! The thickness and feel of it is really unbelievable. Love driving and turing the car with it. Only thing is the steering stitches at some corners are sticking out a bit,so a bit pricky. I also love the M sport body kit, thats why I choose Alpine White to get the M sport package,else wanted something different,wanted the colour Blue Water as I have yet to see an X3 on the road with this colour. But with the M sport package, I love the way the rear bumper is in piano black colour with the stainless steel exhaust. The body kit is the same as what epiworks posted with the rear bumpers in black. The first time I saw the M sports on the E90,I made up my mind on getting one for my car. :D

Cons:
1) The main thing I don't like about the car is the exhaust. When under acceleration with the engine reving to 3k plus,the exhaust note sounds 'droning' and like a taxi rattling. Even my friend asked me about it when I was going uphill and accelerating,he asked why my car sounds like no power. Not sure is it due to the closing of the exhaust valve.

2) The start/stop. It is not perfect,but sometimes I feel it is quite bad as a few times even after lifitng off the brake pedal,by the time the engine re-engages,the car is already jerking forward as the engine reved. This isn't good for the gearbox. The other complaint is the location of the button beside the engine's start/stop button. When seated at the driver's seat,both button's are blocked by the indicator stalk. Thus,i need to tilt my head towards the passanger's side to see if I the S/S is active or not. Another thing is the duration i find is quite short. In the end I feel it is countered by the amount of fuel to start the engine again.

3) The puny rims,18 inch M rims. Don't like the looks of it,but it came with the M sport package. The 19 inch they offered which is staggered I did not like the design and the price of 3.8k is really over for the design.

4) The super stiff chassis. Not that I don't like the way BMWs made the chassis so stiff the conering is super stable and planted,but when going over humps and some right turns,the doors will move and give off the creaking sound. It was very bad in my E90,now even new car,the sound is also there. Worst thing is in the E90 it was mainly the rear doors. Now with the X3,the front doors are also creaking!!!

5) Brakes,although adequete, I find the feel would not be that good when with a full load and stopping in a short time.

6) The servicing. BMW has now skipped the first few oil changes to 12k~15k depending on how I drive. Why skip the oil change during the run in period? The cost cutting is really bad,like with the S/S which i feel will burn out the starter motor quite fast.

Sorry for the long review but I am super excited about my new car!!!! :p Once runned in and nearing the warranty,there will be a few changes made to the car.. :p
Things to do:
1) Paint sealant(Was thinking of CSII ceramic coating)
2) Exhaust with quad pipes!! (So my car will look the same as epiworks picture :D )
3) Rims,thinking of 20inch!!!
4) Brakes!!
5) Tuning!!
6) Infratint!! (Car came with free 3M solar flim,but having used infratint on 3 of my vehicles,I still prefer it for the heat rejection)

Lastly,thanks all who took time to read my post.. :) And sorry TS once again for hijacking your thread.. :)

Bro.. thank you for the review. i was thinking of getting one too. Care to share how much u paid for it?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onbetceovn
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back