X3 review and experience

deerbike

Hi,

Looking at pre-owned X3. But didn't get to see any review or discussions on it.

Care to share your experience?

Thank you.

Cheers;)

Re: X3 review and experience

Unless you do have certain constraints, you should really consider the X5 instead.
X3 is pretty dated. 6 years old with the new model launching next year. Unless you want to wait for that (which is still an X5 inline 6 engine and a styling that will be modelled closely after the X5), get a 2-3 yrs X5 will be a much better option. X5 has all the luxury and comfort you need. With the 3L inline-6 and an updated gearbox ( same as the new 630), it will easily punch 274bhp with enough muscle to take this big bull up Genting effortlessly ( seriously I have tried that). Super cruiser too, it will let you hit 200km/h easily. The facelifted ones from late Dec 07 models not only have new gearbox but also 20inch rims, roof rails and 5-7 seater configuration.
X5, being a high end luxury SUV model, gives you extremely good build quality, from engine to cabin, Xdrive and all the electronics integration to safety. Do justice to yourself and go do a comparison. You will know what I mean. Further more, the looks alone will make the X3 looks extremely dated.

Thanks for your suggestions.

X5 is definitely a better option than X3 but I am looking at a reasonable budget thus looking at X3 instead. Still a in-line 6 although less powerful than X5:>

Any thoughts on its maintenance and reliability?

I was looking at PML service charges and it seen that X3 service cost is much lower compared with the other model.

Check out the Xoutpost forum. Lots of good info from X-series owners.
Avoid going to the X5 postings as it might poison u!8)

Xoutpost

X3 is fine. It is not as clumsy as a X5. It uses well tested technology. SUV's sometimes look better if they are functional, not high fashion. it is up to you.

The E83 X3's are the last of the Austrian made ones. The replacement is American.

Beware of the new 2012 X3 model's radio. The reception is so bad that the PML service consultants admitted that there are constant distortions in almost all channels. The car is good to drive, like any BMs, but this on has very inferior reception. I have sent my car in for 1 whole week and they admitted that they cant fix it. This head unit performs this way, with very bad distortions. I am a radio guy and this is affecting my driving everyday.

davequek;1039917 said:
Beware of the new 2012 X3 model's radio. The reception is so bad that the PML service consultants admitted that there are constant distortions in almost all channels. The car is good to drive, like any BMs, but this on has very inferior reception. I have sent my car in for 1 whole week and they admitted that they cant fix it. This head unit performs this way, with very bad distortions. I am a radio guy and this is affecting my driving everyday.

I gather you haven't seen this....

http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/elebest-pte-ltd/80532-radio-signal-booster-eb003-available-elebest.html

I was the one who went to see Dr Max at Elebest. On open roads, the reception improved. But not in city areas, it is still bad after Dr Max added the booster. I will visit him again to see if his latest B003 is better!

Last edited by a moderator:

anyone has experience with absolutetint? i'm thinking of going for their top range which is really cheap compared to other brands.

Cantergal;1041435 said:
anyone has experience with absolutetint? i'm thinking of going for their top range which is really cheap compared to other brands.

I am on Absolute Tint, they charged $630 for my X3. It is very good. Mine is the Platinum series.

for x3 owners: is your FC better or worse than what the car computer shows? so far I haven't finished one tank yet.

Cantergal;1042709 said:
for x3 owners: is your FC better or worse than what the car computer shows? so far I haven't finished one tank yet.

Pls. At least have 3 tankfuls before you talk abt fc or try to compare.

Cantergal;1042724 said:
speak only you have constructive things to say:shhhh::shhhh:

too bad you cant understand that it was a constructive comment.

My FC is getting better by the day. Tats impossible for a BMW. I am dumping my car

It is possible if you run a 4 pot 328 variant engine like those in preFL E46 days

the auto start stop is completely useless. also the brakes arent v strong. make sure to have sufficient breaking distance as its a heavy car. maybe need to upgrade brake fluid n hose...?

otherwise no problem n nice drive

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sun88comco

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back