x5 gearbox

triston

i am driving a 2012 x5. recently i noticed my car vibrates a little when i step on the accelerator during low gear. when i am in high gear this does not happen.i googled the internet and thought its likely a coil or spark plug issue.i sent in my car to a small mechanic.they tested the coil and spark plug and said the problem remains.in the end they told me they are sure its the gearbox issue. they use the term transmission valvetronic. they said need to change the gearbox which if course is going to be expensive. i am just not so convinced that my car problem is so serious that the whole gear box got to be change.the vibration experienced is mild. the car is still moving quite smoothly otherwise. can any bmw expert comnent on my issue?
thanks so much!

My friend has a 325 convert with a 3l engine.
He experience this problem where he could not solve it at his workshop. On top of this, his engine stalled with several engine check lights sessions prior to stalling.

So a lot of things like coil, sparks, fuel system were changed. Engine fires up but drive still sluggish. So it's was found that the torque converter needs overhauling. Now he is a happy man.

Try checking with your workshop unless they want to carrot you with a fully new GB.

which workshop did you go to and are they familiar with BMW?

if I am not mistaken you can read the transmission to identify the threshold of it to determine issue.

I had mine checked at Mcwell before I brought it to KTAC for 2nd opinion before I resolved my clutch slip.

good luck!

If it continuously jerks while stepping on the accelerator then it may not be the gearbox.

Gearboxes jerk during a gear shift ...

They should be referring to the mechatronics.

Valvetronic is related to the engine intake valve system.

Any of our trusted site sponsors should be able to sort out the problems with regards to gear box or the transmission.

From what I understand (layman terms), the gear setup is made up of 2 components, the transmission and the mechanical gears (at least for my E60)

Mechanical gears probably last about 250k km before need to overhaul them. The transmission unit is about 200k km

Transmission would consist of the mechatronics which include the solenoids. Normally if just vibrate during initial move off (like what i experienced previously), the 1st-2nd solenoids that controls the 1st-2nd gear shift are going to kaput soon. I dont get this when I'm cruising on highway.

You could try the cheaper solution of just changing the solenoids (about $700+ at ES) + labour (depends on WS) or the whole mechatronics(which would include the solenoids) Mine is using the ZF transmission which is pretty robust, so I only changed the solenoids. No vibration at low gears now.

Whole mechatronic change would cost about S$3.2K at one of the site sponsor (does not include ATF) or S$2300+ at ES

The above was all based on my personal experience with my E60 so do take note of that.

Another culprit could be the speed control sensor located within the mechatronic but not sure whether you can just change that alone.

My opinion would be that if your ride has at least 3-4 years left and you would want to take it all the way, do the full mechatronics change, or if you have budget, + the mechanical gears as well.

Good luck!

(PS. if any of the gurus think that any of my above info is wrong, please correct me, as I'm always keen to know more, thx!)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j88events
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back