Y cable, help!

waynechai

Hi guys,

I still can't figure out the purpose of y cable, and help is really appreciated.

1. When you use y cable, do you choose option aux or USB to play?

2. Without y cable, plugging directly into USB, I can also play iPod, with the ability to:
i) Adjust volume, and forward and backward selection of songs using the steering wheel control
ii) Using the head unit, can select folders, genre, album, artist and et, although the playlist isn't visible, and can't seem to do random.

Can someone kindly enlighten me on what difference would y cable bring?

Thanks.

Re: Y cable, help!

Answer base on my limited knowledge cos i'm on 1. I stand corrected

For the newer bimmer, u have both USB and audio jack present side by side. U have to plug in both for full functions to work i.e. to charge + change tracks / folder (via HU & steering)

Audio jack is for audio
USB is for data transfer + charging

If u plug in only either 1, u will lose the function of the other. So if u plug in only the audio jack, ur ipod cant charge, HU cant read tracks, u can only control vol on ur steering wheel at best. Tracks / folder selection can only be done via ipod itself.

So, by just pluggin in USB, there is no sound....period

waynechai;656730 said:
Hi guys,

I still can't figure out the purpose of y cable, and help is really appreciated.

1. When you use y cable, do you choose option aux or USB to play?

2. Without y cable, plugging directly into USB, I can also play iPod, with the ability to:
i) Adjust volume, and forward and backward selection of songs using the steering wheel control
ii) Using the head unit, can select folders, genre, album, artist and et, although the playlist isn't visible, and can't seem to do random.

Can someone kindly enlighten me on what difference would y cable bring?

Thanks.

"So, by just pluggin in USB, there is no sound....period"

This is not correct.

Like I said,

Meaning, can still playand have sound.

Sorry to share your thread..
After using the Y-Cable, I have one problem which I can't select song via steering control buttons +/-

My ride is the older model E90 which comes with AUX-in & cig socket (not USB socket) which using a USB converter
Is it because older model using cig socket.. that's why I can't select song via steering control buttons??

I am using a normal Y-Cable purchased from Sim Lim Sq

Last edited by a moderator:

waynechai;656780 said:
"So, by just pluggin in USB, there is no sound....period"

This is not correct.

Like I said,

Meaning, can still playand have sound.

oh...like i said, I stand corrected. never really tried tat out. may perhaps try tat out later ...should not really rant off w/o trying....my bad....:yummie:

ur using a normal ipod cable?

Yah, normal cable.

As for Jarren, you will never be able to control thro the steering.
In fact, you don't even need a y cable since you do not have the USB port.
I am sure you are using aux playing option right?

You an achieve the effect by having a separate USB cable for charging, and another 35mm aux in/out cable.

waynechai;656862 said:
Yah, normal cable.

As for Jarren, you will never be able to control thro the steering.
In fact, you don't even need a y cable since you do not have the USB port.
I am sure you are using aux playing option right?

You an achieve the effect by having a separate USB cable for charging, and another 35mm aux in/out cable.

So does that mean:

1. Older model with AUX-in & Cig Socket - can only change volume but not select songs on the steering wheel (which what I'm facing now)

2. Newer model with AUX-in & USB Socket - can change vol & also select songs on the steering wheel

If that is the case, I think I still need to plug the USB into the cig socket (usign the converter) for charging purpose.. I suppose the AUX-in won't be able to charge the iPod, is for audio connection to our iPod.... correct??

Well, I am sure if only aux in, can't control through head unit or steering wheel.
And yes, you can charge through cigarette thingy...

If have USB, then can play as if it is a flash drive.
Therefore, can have some form of control.
Definitely the volume, and the track.

There lies my question...what can y cable do in addition?

For those people who use the y cable, please help explain.
A good starting point is, do we choose aux or USB as source?

waynechai;656906 said:
Well, I am sure if only aux in, can't control through head unit or steering wheel.
And yes, you can charge through cigarette thingy...

If have USB, then can play as if it is a flash drive.
Therefore, can have some form of control.
Definitely the volume, and the track.

There lies my question...what can y cable do in addition?

For those people who use the y cable, please help explain.
A good starting point is, do we choose aux or USB as source?

Let's divide this into 2 categories for better understanding. Please feel free to add/ correct.

1) Pre-LCI or pre-facelift - no USB, only AUX and cig socket
- plug USB adaptor into cig socket for the purpose of charging only (can buy from most electronics shops in SLT but you need a low-profile one due to the arm rest)
- plug in 3.5mm headphone jack into AUX to play music on car speaker (you need to buy a cable that has on both sides, 3.5mm jacks)
- steering controls can only control volume, cannot change track or forward/ backward
- everything you control from your iphone, ipod devices
- use of Y-cable will not take advantage of its functionalities since the USB is only limited to charging and not controlling
- source should be AUX

2) LCI - with USB, thus 6FL option
- Y-cable allows charging and iphone, ipod control from steering wheel (vol up/ down and fwd/ back) as well as i-Drive control (if equipped)
- if use Y-cable, source should be AUX
- suppose you only have music on a thumb drive and wish to play through the car speakers, source should be USB

My 2 cents.

Not sure if you get the question vengeful, and I have no idea what you are talking about.
No point posting if you are not trying to help.

The question is
1) y cable
2) a USB cable + 35 mm audio
If 1) and 2) is the same, why get the y cable and pay more so much more? What's the purpose of y cable?

waynechai;657177 said:
Not sure if you get the question vengeful, and I have no idea what you are talking about.

The question is
1) y cable
If 1) and 2) is the same, why get the y cable and pay more so much more? What's the purpose of y cable?

The Y-cable is made for the ipod and iphone specially for use with the 6FL option, which are LCI models. It is an integrated cable that transmits data from the devices to the car's steering and HU/ i-Drive controls and charges the phone. Because BMW does not have the 30-pin connector that is proprietary to Apple, the Y-cable splits the audio from the data and power charging.

So the USB end of the cable goes into the car's USB port and the 3.5mm audio jack end of the cable goes into the AUX-in. With this cable, you DO NOT need to open and close your arm rest to select music from your device and can leave it inside. In AUX mode on your HU, you have full control of your device through steering and HU buttons. BUT, this works for the LCI models.

Perhaps, you still do not understand but I am posting this to help others understand.

waynechai;657177 said:

The question is
1) y cable
Look the link below:
RealOEM.com BMW E90N 325i Cable adapter for Apple iPod / iPhone

What is the purpose of Y-cable?

Make it easy for you to understand.

If your car is pre-facelift, no point buying.
If your car is LCI with 6FL option, got point buying.

pengful;657199 said:
Real OEM your good friend right?
As usual. Picture easier to understand.

pengful;657198 said:
Make it easy for you to understand.

If your car is pre-facelift, no point buying.
If your car is LCI with 6FL option, got point buying.

actually y-cable for Pre FL still got use... plug the USB into a USB adaptor for the ciggy socket, and the 3.5mm into the aux socket. that way, u can play music thru AUX and charge your phone using the same cable. :)

Wh0cArEs;657233 said:
actually y-cable for Pre FL still got use... plug the USB into a USB adaptor for the ciggy socket, and the 3.5mm into the aux socket. that way, u can play music thru AUX and charge your phone using the same cable. :)
No need y cable lah.

Buy Griffin ipilot to charge. Ipilot has a 3.5mm for audio out. Ipilot has the following control:
1. Play;
2. Pause;
3. Forward; &
4. Rewind.

Wh0cArEs;657233 said:

That's what I'm using right now for my Pre FL.. no choice just have to select song from my iPod.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhatvipdate

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back