19" or 18" rims? Which tyres?

Re: 19" or 18" rims? Which tyres?

Jetpilot said:
Hey guys,

do you think PSS or even CSC5 will be overkilling E90?
I have look at the threads and I must say both are very good tyres.
I believe the traction will be great but for E90 with merely 156bhp, is it overkilling it if used such grippy tyres? For 330 and 335, the PSS and CSC5 fits them perfectly.
What do you reckon?

Tyre performance is not about matching power. It is about you taking a sharp corner at 70 km/h and your wanna have that little more grip around that corner. It is about that traffic light stops when you realise it is red and the asphalt is wet. Best part is - a good set last you longer (wear rate), saves your life possibly and the incremental differences costs the least compare to bodykits, coilovers, BBK, LEDs.......

Difference of $1K for 4 tyres for the above? Worth it !!!

bimmerman said:
Gents,

I always avoided 19" rims, as many friends told me the ride would be too hard and uncomfortable.

Any one who recently changed from 18 to 19 have any comments please?
Any Die-Hard 19" proponents? Need to decide very soon.

Looks are not the most important, but from the shops I visited, there are more choices with 19" rims, which seem to suggest the popularity over 18".

Thanks...

I suggest sticking to stock, if comfort is the main concern. Do NOT change wheels, RFTs, coilovers. Trust me, changing these will make your ride less comfortable than stock.

Then again, some might wanna sacrifice comfort for other performance variables - such as grip, roll, braking distance....... guess your friends will advise against so.

Stick to the safe side. Do NOT mod.

mounchic;839949 said:
Bro you mean your FC is better on your current 19 than your previous 18? What are your previous rims and tires compared to now, care to share?
I just changed from 18" original rims with rtf to 19" Breytons with csc5. FC dropped

Hi, Previously im on 18'' M star spokes 193 rims with Bridgestone RE050A RFT.
Love the hard side walls but RFT r heavy.

This year april, change it to Breyton Race GTS 19'' with CSC5. Both are lighten by 1kg - 1.5kg each rim. FC seems better after running in. After a reprogram from MA (warranty issue) FC are better..

Guess is how u start off n driving lifestyle..

Cheers ~~ :)

*ps dont worry too much on FC, if not u wont enjoy yur ride.. pointless

My nee jiam :eek:

Jetpilot;840480 said:
Hey guys,

do you think PSS or even CSC5 will be overkilling E90?
I have look at the threads and I must say both are very good tyres.
I believe the traction will be great but for E90 with merely 156bhp, is it overkilling it if used such grippy tyres? For 330 and 335, the PSS and CSC5 fits them perfectly.
What do you reckon?

Is AD08 over kill for my previous ride?? ans = nope so MTL taokay!! :thumbsup:

rubber safe lifes ~~~~ :shakemyb:

bimmerman;840642 said:
Gents,

I always avoided 19" rims, as many friends told me the ride would be too hard and uncomfortable.

Looks are not the most important, but from the shops I visited, there are more choices with 19" rims, which seem to suggest the popularity over 18".

Thanks...

Ive just switch to 19'' (from 18")

Ride too hash?? ans: same as 18''. ofcos certain road condition is abit bumpy but its bearable & not noticable.

Cheers ~~ :)

*ps : during meetup can let u test drive :eek:

bimmerman;840642 said:
Gents,

Thanks...

Personally I've changed from 18" to 19", ride comfort wise not much difference, but looks wise a huge difference.
Like you've said, there are more variety to choose from for 19" as well. So boils down to what do you prefer

bimmerman;840642 said:
Gents,

Thanks...

I beg to differ...

On the contrary, i find the ride much better with 19" vs 18" (not to say 18" is not good though)..

After all, BMW owners are looking for some fun element in their rides..else a Lexus might be a better option for ride comfort & smoothness etc...

Just my opinion...

tomace;840667 said:
Is AD08 over kill for my previous ride?? ans = nope so MTL taokay!! :thumbsup:

rubber safe lifes ~~~~ :shakemyb:

You kind of reminded me that I also used RE11 and AD08 on my previous ride. Thanks for the reminder. It has straighten my thought now!

kenntona said:

Tyre performance is not about matching power. It is about you taking a sharp corner at 70 km/h and your wanna have that little more grip around that corner. It is about that traffic light stops when you realise it is red and the asphalt is wet. Best part is - a good set last you longer (wear rate), saves your life possibly and the incremental differences costs the least compare to bodykits, coilovers, BBK, LEDs.......

Difference of $1K for 4 tyres for the above? Worth it !!!

I agree that having better tyres are important for grip since I love corners. However I don't understand the difference of $1k for 4 tyres for the above? What do you mean?

Jetpilot said:
I agree that having better tyres are important for grip since I love corners. However I don't understand the difference of $1k for 4 tyres for the above? What do you mean?

Cheap 19" tyres, perhaps $250-300 per piece?

Good 19" tyres, perhaps $500-550 per piece.

The difference between both sets is $1K. Hardly any difference, considering prices of wheels, bodykits.......

I just lup the 19 inch bbs ck from top 93. Front bridgestones pretty worn out . Rear was a set of Michelin PS2 with pretty good thread(
Complimentary from ah yang). Replaced with PSS. Ride certainly better than my 18 inch with Rft.

Last edited by a moderator:

mounchic;840910 said:
Side track abit, then are Breytons generally lighter BBS?

Nope ~~ BBS are flow forming wheels and Breyton are cast wheels.

Lightest - forged
2nd lightest - flow forming
last - cast wheel.

Some cast wheel are light too. Its all depends on how the do it.

Correct me if im wrong.. my nee jiam :eek:

Gents,

Thanks for feedback. Yeah, comfort is not the main priority but don't want to get my family to jolt to the roof over each speed bump. From what is shared, think it is not too diff from 18". I'll give it a shot this weekend. (Fingers crossed!).

Yeah, a bimmer is abt having some fun. I went for IDT, love corners. Was making the DTC light up like Christmas lights during corners. Maybe this is what I shud have used all this while!

Going for CSC5s at Top 93. Is Ah Yang's prices the most competitive?

bimmerman;840915 said:
Gents,

Thanks for feedback. Yeah, comfort is not the main priority but don't want to get my family to jolt to the roof over each speed bump. From what is shared, think it is not too diff from 18". I'll give it a shot this weekend. (Fingers crossed!).

Yeah, a bimmer is abt having some fun. I went for IDT, love corners. Was making the DTC light up like Christmas lights during corners. Maybe this is what I shud have used all this while!

Going for CSC5s at Top 93. Is Ah Yang's prices the most competitive?

So far, i feel his prices are one of the lowest...I would love to say LOWEST...but then again, there can only be 1 cost leader..!! so better not make such statements too loosely.. :shakemyb:

tomace;840914 said:
Nope ~~ BBS are flow forming wheels and Breyton are cast wheels.

Lightest - forged
2nd lightest - flow forming
last - cast wheel.

Some cast wheel are light too. Its all depends on how the do it.

Correct me if im wrong.. my nee jiam :eek:

Then in terms of performance like strength of rim, I assume the forge is best, 2nd flow forming and lastly cast?

Price wise also in that order?

mohankls;840930 said:
So far, i feel his prices are one of the lowest...I would love to say LOWEST...but then again, there can only be 1 cost leader..!! so better not make such statements too loosely.. :shakemyb:

Bro which rims are you going for?

Yes, Ah Yang is very sincere and straight forward. Know him from those previous days. Always struck me as a straight guy.

There are very few rims available in the market for the F30. Either Breyton GTS or the M6 star-spoke ones. Any other suggestions?

kenntona;840855 said:
Cheap 19" tyres, perhaps $250-300 per piece?

Good 19" tyres, perhaps $500-550 per piece.

The difference between both sets is $1K. Hardly any difference, considering prices of wheels, bodykits.......

I got you now! :)

bimmerman;841046 said:
Yes, Ah Yang is very sincere and straight forward. Know him from those previous days. Always struck me as a straight guy.

There are very few rims available in the market for the F30. Either Breyton GTS or the M6 star-spoke ones. Any other suggestions?

Bro, you going the comfort line? Did you try BC at Yang or some japanese brands?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parktown77

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back