19" or 18" rims? Which tyres?

Re: 19" or 18" rims? Which tyres?

mounchic;840949 said:
Then in terms of performance like strength of rim, I assume the forge is best, 2nd flow forming and lastly cast?

Price wise also in that order?

By right yes. :eek:

Then again a good set of cast wheel sometime performs better than forge.

Cheers ~~ :)

19` will damage your rims ofter, and it`s bad if you have expensive ones.
Always go for 18`, best balance.

tomace;844416 said:
:huhhuh: :huhhuh: :huhhuh:

Im lost now ~~ :eek: catch no ball :eek:

I guess he means 19" always get kerb slash where as 18" doesn't.
So once kanna kerb slash on expensive rims, it is very painful for the owner.

No basis for that theory.

You kenna kerbing from carelessness, not wheel sizes and tyre profiles.

hi ken!
the guru is here!

kenntona;844588 said:
No basis for that theory.

You kenna kerbing from carelessness, not wheel sizes and tyre profiles.

+1.

I was on 18" and 17" last time, also ganna curbed.

But I never blame the rims, I blame it either on my own carelessness or on my sister who was driving the car.

Using another analogy, when I park head in and ganna the stock front bumper, what can I blame? BMW?

Jetpilot;844421 said:
I guess he means 19" always get kerb slash where as 18" doesn't.
So once kanna kerb slash on expensive rims, it is very painful for the owner.

No logic ~~ as per kenn mentioned! :nutkick: :nutkick:

Wheels ive used : 13'' ~ 19'' - all will have kerb rash when not careful.. :dramamam:

Cheers ~~

tomace;845233 said:
No logic ~~ as per kenn mentioned! :nutkick: :nutkick:

Wheels ive used : 13'' ~ 19'' - all will have kerb rash when not careful.. :dramamam:

Cheers ~~

You are a very careful driver from what I know and take care of your car darn well!
Thumbs up for Tomace!

Bros,

Took the plunge on 19" with PSS at Ah Yang's. Gave it a few weeks to get used to it. Found it quite bumpy...thinking of going back to 18"!!

Would reducing tire pressure be the next best thing? What's the minimum pressure for 19" before I get weird wear patterns?

Anyone with similar experience and went back to 18" or once a 19 incher, always one?

Thanks hor...so pek chek!!

Hi senior,

I m a newbie so take my comments with a punch of salt hor. Peace !!!

Before engaging any mods it is better to sit in a senior car to feel. I used to mod n remod it is a painful n time wasting process but I like it. May burn a hole too.

On your bumpy ride it would not be the rims but low profile tires. Or if old car is the suspension or coil overs . So u have to determine if suspension is the problem. Since rims n tyres is new.

Soon will be my turn.

bimmerman;853687 said:
Bros,

Took the plunge on 19" with PSS at Ah Yang's. Gave it a few weeks to get used to it. Found it quite bumpy...thinking of going back to 18"!!

Would reducing tire pressure be the next best thing? What's the minimum pressure for 19" before I get weird wear patterns?

Anyone with similar experience and went back to 18" or once a 19 incher, always one?

bimmerman;853687 said:
Bros,

19" & 18" differences not noticable. Both to me are the same.

Comfort = 17" max as tire thickness will be thicker thus cushion all e bumps.
18" & 19" tire are low profile thus more raw.

Cheers ~~~ :)

My 1 cent.

Actually the construction of the tire plays an important part too. Given the same tire profile, 1 brand or model will differ from the next. Remember the yok AD07? Those had really stiff side walls compared to a michellin premacy. But then again I have compared tires from different classes. So it's exactly what this is all about, you are not comparing apple to apple. Compare the same tire in different sizes for the exact opinion.

My personal take is to buy the best tire for the budget cos those 4 black hoops of rubber is all that stands between you, your family/loved ones and a hard place. It's just like brakes. Most people say "but I don't drive fast" but it only takes 1 time for the brakes to save your life or save you from being the last car in a chain collision, to repay itself. If you have $X for a set of wheels, budget for rubber first then rims. Most rims right now are cast and they are perfectly usable. So it's matter of personal taste.

Cheers

R2D said:
My 1 cent.

Actually the construction of the tire plays an important part too. Given the same tire profile, 1 brand or model will differ from the next. Remember the yok AD07? Those had really stiff side walls compared to a michellin premacy. But then again I have compared tires from different classes. So it's exactly what this is all about, you are not comparing apple to apple. Compare the same tire in different sizes for the exact opinion.

My personal take is to buy the best tire for the budget cos those 4 black hoops of rubber is all that stands between you, your family/loved ones and a hard place. It's just like brakes. Most people say "but I don't drive fast" but it only takes 1 time for the brakes to save your life or save you from being the last car in a chain collision, to repay itself. If you have $X for a set of wheels, budget for rubber first then rims. Most rims right now are cast and they are perfectly usable. So it's matter of personal taste.

Cheers

+100000000 !!!

Please do not save $$$ on tyres !!! Said it too many times.

bimmerman;853687 said:
Bros,

Such an experience is not common until you know what you are looking for...

Let me help to point out several contrasting requirements without bringing in the "look good" factor which is all up to one's taste...

1. Your previous setup of rims and tires was not mentioned. This will give others a benchmark to judge the entire unsprung mass of the rim+tire. The brand&model of the tire will also play an important role as that will determine the high frequency low amplitude (like going over the lazy policeman strips before some ride of the humps) performance. It is primarily the tire that absorbs these shocks.

2. Your present setup of which rim and which tyres. We know thetire brand and model but what if its a 7 series that has no diff between that 1" growth.

3. Your suspension and its age. Cos the type of suspension will determine the spring rates and that is the primary factor in determining how the car rides. All lowered springs will be harder than stock to prevent your car from bottoming out. Its the job of the dampers to control those springs. How many people have installed lowering spring just to get that look? As the dampers matched? Age of the dampers also play a very big part. We have seen many many cars here with leaking dampers and broken bump stops. Go figure...

4. If comfort was your top priority, then choosing a more comfort orientated tire could perhaps claim back some of low speed bump performance that you so desire.

I think what you want is the holy grail....The tire that grips in the dry and wet, is so quiet that babies just fall asleep in the car, has braking performance that stops without the ABS kicking in, is made of space age materials that allow it to last forever and yet weigh in at less than an F1 tire and on top of that cheap as hell.. ha ha... don't we all want that.

Please pardon my ranting but take pride in the fact that you achieved probably the most important factors above (according to my own opinion) for grip, handling and performance. Just remember all that is keeping you on the road is 4 pcs of rubber, that has a total surface area of about 1 sheet of A4 paper, generating the friction.

cheers

19" tyres too thin, try 20" , better and comfort

if i change my stock tyre (rft) and rim to other conventional type for E90... the front and back rim size must follow the original spec?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FemiProreview

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back