2.0L valvetronic pushing 170hp?

Re: 2.0L valvetronic pushing 170hp?

phil;322314 said:
Did it make any difference?

of course! ask jeff. he took a test drive. definitely different from stock. otherwise i would've gone back to make noise! :)

niteblu;322321 said:
Redrex's car is a 1.9 PFL M43 though... Not valvetronic.
So don't think the kit applies..

think bvo is offering charging systems. that's one way to go... not sure about the valvetronic though. best to check with the guys there...

Herman;322353 said:
I thought piggybacks were more recommended?

piggybacks are one way to go, but with remapping, your ecu is reprogrammed. no need to add on anything. plus, if you choose, you will be able to customise to suit your needs (depends on which tuner you go to)... :yummie:

redrex;322388 said:
look like the 1.9 engine cant really do much to it ?:juggle:
Got to be good boy already ...

you'd be surprised...

but there is a limit to what you can do... unlike the 6-potters, which might be a good thing - limit to how much you can spend :nehnehhh:

but why am i telling you guys all these? next time kena chiet terok terok...

the stock e46 FL 318 gives 143hp on paper...

NOT TRUE!

dyno only showed 130+, so just imagine the increase in power...

jinooi;322610 said:

NOT TRUE!

Hi Jin,

How much did the re-map yield your FL in terms of HP & Nm?
I think both BVO/J4C charge about 1.2k on avg for the remap right...

niteblu;322715 said:
Hi Jin,

How much did the re-map yield your FL in terms of HP & Nm?
I think both BVO/J4C charge about 1.2k on avg for the remap right...

j4 guaranteed 15% increase in hp and nm, they managed to deliver more than that.

yups. thereabouts...

jinooi;322730 said:
j4 guaranteed 15% increase in hp and nm, they managed to deliver more than that.

yups. thereabouts...

Nice... so the price includes the pre/post dyno?
Any reason why J4C over BVO?
I'm sure you did the homework prior.

i'm very restrained with mods. as you prob can tell.
trying not to wash moolah down the longkang.
as I had previously.
so it's used bits all the way.
and performance where it counts. if not i'll live with it.

maybe will join you all for kopi someday.
much to learn.

have been going to j4c for the past 8 years or so since i was driving my first car...

and also didn't know that this forum existed till end last year (stupid me), so you could say i didn't know better (but then ignorance is bliss).

the dyno was not included. my good friend, john, threw it in for free (also to prove a point). cos he said if i wasn't satisfied, didn't have to pay... kekekeke...

free to have kopi anytime. join us for improptu meet-ups, pm me your hp no...

but be warned, the virus is v contagious...

jinooi;322736 said:
have been going to j4c for the past 8 years or so since i was driving my first car...

and also didn't know that this forum existed till end last year (stupid me), so you could say i didn't know better (but then ignorance is bliss).

Indeed. Can be quite tui & frustrating...
when you discover the options you missed.
Only after the fact.
And sometimes like you said, the less you know.
The less you care.

There's been another e46 in my household
Reaching 9 years already.
Only thing done - K&N. (my fault)
Nothing more... Still drives as well as BMW intended.

jinooi;322736 said:
but be warned, the virus is v contagious...

Haha... good one.

Let's just say, I caught the mod virus VERY LONG time ago...
Infected my entire system.
Some say to the point of being incurable (See my Avatar.. :p)
I've since developed immunity to new infections...

then i've got a lot to learn from you, dude...

let's meet up soon...

jinooi;322743 said:
then i've got a lot to learn from you, dude...

let's meet up soon...

sounds like a plan.
we'll grab a kopi some day...

beem;319281 said:
I saw the technical data of the new 520i...why is the HP ratings different in the bmw.com website and this site's introduction.....170 to 156...

Any idea if current N42s and N46 can up rate to that?

Hmm... the new 1 series 120i cabrio is supp to be pushing 170bhp (according to international BMW website)

But the one PML is bringing in is only 156bhp. Have asked around and some said that it could be a detune? If so, why is this necessary? coz of temperature, humidity?

Also found out that 156bhp is also quoted for 120i sold in Japan (thru bmw.co.jp)

Just 5 words spell 170 bhp in a 320i - World Touring Car homologation special.

They are pretty rare cars. Don't know whether any of them have ended up in Singapore.

BMW 3-Series | evo Car Reviews | Car Reviews | evo

car_photo_200655_25.jpg

vone;331384 said:
Hmm... the new 1 series 120i cabrio is supp to be pushing 170bhp (according to international BMW website)

But the one PML is bringing in is only 156bhp. Have asked around and some said that it could be a detune? If so, why is this necessary? coz of temperature, humidity?

Also found out that 156bhp is also quoted for 120i sold in Japan (thru bmw.co.jp)
That's the new engine using direct injection & no valvetronic.

ok, got a vague reply from SA, he said something about the engine in Europe injects fuel directly into the cylinders, whereas our engines here are sprayed outside and its the same engine as the local 320i and 520i ? huh.... so our engines here are not that "high tech" ?

hmm not really satisfied with this kind of vague answer. Anyone here can give a better explanation for the difference in BHP values in the 120i locally as compared to rest of europe ? (156bhp vs 170bhp)

Anyone?

-- update ---
most definitive answer in the previous post

vone;331706 said:
ok, got a vague reply from SA, he said something about the engine in Europe injects fuel directly into the cylinders, whereas our engines here are sprayed outside and its the same engine as the local 320i and 520i ? huh.... so our engines here are not that "high tech" ?

hmm not really satisfied with this kind of vague answer. Anyone here can give a better explanation for the difference in BHP values in the 120i locally as compared to rest of europe ? (156bhp vs 170bhp)

Anyone?
the SA's explaination is totally correct. The 170HP is due to far better control of combustion using direct fuel injection into the cylinder, where the previous engine was doing indirect fuel injection to the inlet.

BMW once pooh poohed the concept of DFI saying that Valvetronic obviates the need for DFI, but now I guess that would have to be revised.

hmmm just a little grumpy why we are not getting the same technology as the rest of the world when we are paying loads more $$$

vone;331778 said:
hmmm just a little grumpy why we are not getting the same technology as the rest of the world when we are paying loads more $$$
the official explanation seems to be the sulphur levels in our fuel, but then the 335 is also direct injection and you can buy DI 320 from the PI. The only explanation left seems to be that PML has loads of stock of the old engine and has overcommitted on it therefore they need to get rid of old stock first.

Anyway, it seems that Japan is also taking the 156bhp engines... so i guess somehow it will be an asia thing... since only SG and Japan launched the 1 series?

Anyway will mod it up somehow eventually... 156bhp already feels eager enough for me during the test drive...

jinooi;322610 said:

NOT TRUE!

The dyno results are performed at the wheels or crank? Cause all these specs are measured at crank one. Thats why it always appear higher.

BMW once pooh poohed the concept of DFI saying that Valvetronic obviates the need for DFI, but now I guess that would have to be revised.

Actually, BMW has pooh poohed a few other things as well, such as turbocharging to get meaningful hp gains. "We'll stick with high revs," some BMW big wig said. Not long after that, the 335i was released, with not one but 2 turbochargers.

PerverTT;331965 said:
Actually, BMW has pooh poohed a few other things as well, such as turbocharging to get meaningful hp gains. "We'll stick with high revs," some BMW big wig said. Not long after that, the 335i was released, with not one but 2 turbochargers.
impulsive people. Don't see the Mercedes people making statements then not having the balls to say they're wrong. Swabian vs Bavarian ....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manueldevecchicom

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back