2010 - new 5 series pricing

Re: 2010 - new 5 series pricing

Great! Now since you've DDC and already spent so much on your lovely 535i, why not spend a bit more for the Adaptive Drive and drive in heavenly bliss? :)

Hi, let me relate to you my experience with Toyota (which Lexus essentially is). I've owned both the IS200 and GS300.

Years back, I got my GS300 for $245k. I also had an E46 318i at that time and no matter how hard I drove the GS300, it did not feel premium. In fact, it felt only like a more luxurious Camry despite it being rear-wheel drive with six cylinders and what not. So disappointed, I sold it after six months with a depreciation of $75k. Takers were few.

Being a petrol head, I bought the IS200 thinking maybe the younger brother was better. Well, it felt good but only relative to its japanese contemporaries. Compared again to my E46 it was a let-down. So I sold that after six months too with a depreciation proportional to the GS300's.

The cars just paled in comparison to the E28 and E30, let alone the E39 and E46. And mind you, both cars were not particularly smooth or quiet that the commercials would want you believe. My conclusion is that Toyota is at least two generations behind BMW when it comes to driving pleasure.

My advice to you is stop thinking and do it! Get rid of that BMW-wannabe. Get the real deal. An E90 beats it hands-down, legs tied and blind-folded. A F10 is what Toyota hopes to achieve three generations down the road.

Enlightenment;530969 said:
Hi, let me relate to you my experience with Toyota (which Lexus essentially is). I've owned both the IS200 and GS300.

Years back, I got my GS300 for $245k. I also had an E46 318i at that time and no matter how hard I drove the GS300, it did not feel premium. In fact, it felt only like a more luxurious Camry despite it being rear-wheel drive with six cylinders and what not. So disappointed, I sold it after six months with a depreciation of $75k. Takers were few.

Being a petrol head, I bought the IS200 thinking maybe the younger brother was better. Well, it felt good but only relative to its japanese contemporaries. Compared again to my E46 it was a let-down. So I sold that after six months too with a depreciation proportional to the GS300's.

The cars just paled in comparison to the E28 and E30, let alone the E39 and E46. And mind you, both cars were not particularly smooth or quiet that the commercials would want you believe. My conclusion is that Toyota is at least two generations behind BMW when it comes to driving pleasure.

My advice to you is stop thinking and do it! Get rid of that BMW-wannabe. Get the real deal. An E90 beats it hands-down, legs tied and blind-folded. A F10 is what Toyota hopes to achieve three generations down the road.
fully subscribed!

The benchmark for developing IS200 is E36.

Enlightenment;530961 said:
Great! Now since you've DDC and already spent so much on your lovely 535i, why not spend a bit more for the Adaptive Drive and drive in heavenly bliss? :)

cos I will need to set aside the budget for M-technic bodykit and rims!:shhhh:

bimmernic;530771 said:
Thanks. Does that mean that the M suspension for the 1-series (and, similarly, for the F10) utilises EDC as well? That would probably explain why you cannot spec the M suspension together with DDC for the F10, although such a combination appears to be possible for the E89.

Just got the answer. - 10 mm, non-adaptive dampers.

Enlightenment;530969 said:

Hmm.. you speak like a BMW salesman. :)

I think those two LEXUS models you drove are old models. Situation now is different.

andy_sg;531124 said:
Hmm.. you speak like a BMW salesman. :)

I think those two LEXUS models you drove are old models. Situation now is different.

The earlier GS300 which Andy got was touted to be more sporty than today's GS by many local and oversea magazine when the current was launched few years back.

And this IS250 is certainly not as far back against the E90 as when the first IS200 against E46.

My friend changed from E60 523 to GS300 and was disappointed in the handling although there is high praise for luxurious feel and straight line capability (GS300 vs 523) and he feel that the lexus is better.
I choose E60 523 over GS300 cos i dun mind the slightly noiser cabin with lousy sound system and stiffer suspension in return for better road holding and drive feel.

Andy is speaking from the petrol head view (like me).
LEXUS is also very good car but for different customer type (not andy's type).

:stop!: Excuse me, we are getting OT liao....... :offtopic::THIS THREAD IS FOR NEW 5 !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

neilpryde;530881 said:
I have decided on DDC rather than M-Sports suspension:dance:

Slater;530890 said:
right choice dude

Given the choice of ACTIVE or PASSIVE body control, sure take ACTIVE (DDC) cos sometimes can switch to comfort mode when in the mood to have a relaxed ride :thumbsup:
4k for DDC compared to 2k for M sport suspension because you have 2 suspension (hard & soft) in 1 car ma .....hahahah

If you dun like the DDC after few months in F10 then ..... you sell the car cheap cheap to me la ..... lol

Jason8822;531165 said:
Given the choice of ACTIVE or PASSIVE body control, sure take ACTIVE (DDC) cos sometimes can switch to comfort mode when in the mood to have a relaxed ride :thumbsup:
4k for DDC compared to 2k for M sport suspension because you have 2 suspension (hard & soft) in 1 car ma .....hahahah

If you dun like the DDC after few months in F10 then ..... you sell the car cheap cheap to me la ..... lol

Yep, got wife and kid to consider :thumbsup:

Jason8822;531165 said:

neilpryde;531170 said:
Yep, got wife and kid to consider :thumbsup:

3 suspensions actually - comfort, normal and sports. That's why its 3X more ($4.9+k vs $1.6k) compared to the M sport suspension:yikess:. If only they had put this as standard spec instead of auto trunk closing and individual rear reading lights. Plus, all the praise for the F10's excellent ride appears to have been on cars with the DDC. Decisions, decisions...

i think it would be better to go into a PI and tell them to customise what we want or check with them on what's the spec of their cars

i would certainly do that when i'm going for my next car

bimmernic;531238 said:
3 suspensions actually - comfort, normal and sports. That's why its 3X more ($4.9+k vs $1.6k) compared to the M sport suspension:yikess:. If only they had put this as standard spec instead of auto trunk closing and individual rear reading lights. Plus, all the praise for the F10's excellent ride appears to have been on cars with the DDC. Decisions, decisions...

Like what was mentioned earlier in the thread, the "jewels in the crown" are not standard. To me, kind of strange to spend so much on a car and yet it's missing stuff that brings out its potential.

If I were you, I'll get the DDC as a minimum. Preferably go the full works and get the Adaptive Drive.

Trust me, if you dont do this now, there'll always be this nagging voice in you that says "should have bitten the bullet and spend a little more then". There's a Chinese saying which goes "within the beauty there's an inadequate part". Ha.

Agreed. DDC is a possibility. Adaptive Drive at $11.4k probably not, unless it was a 528 (which PML is currently not bringing in) or a 535 (which is loaded to the gills with bits that are not wholly with a performance focus). If only they could bring in a 535 (base) with same base specs as the 523 and allow the purchaser to spec at will, that would have been great. Maybe in another parallel universe :lol:

Hey guys, I think the F10 is due to release in May, isn't it? I believe I saw one last night around Outram rd at a cross junction. A heavy kitted 3 series beside it even tried to reverse to take a peep at its rear badge, haha. I know it's night and I am at the other end of the junction, but the F10 headlight is very distinguishable.

wkwlb;531594 said:
Hey guys, I think the F10 is due to release in May, isn't it? I believe I saw one last night around Outram rd at a cross junction. A heavy kitted 3 series beside it even tried to reverse to take a peep at its rear badge, haha. I know it's night and I am at the other end of the junction, but the F10 headlight is very distinguishable.
who could have it? PI distributed F10's liao?

probably from PI.... love to see it on the road....:cool:

F10 is nice man......

cheers

bimmernic;531332 said:
Agreed. DDC is a possibility. Adaptive Drive at $11.4k probably not, unless it was a 528 (which PML is currently not bringing in) or a 535 (which is loaded to the gills with bits that are not wholly with a performance focus). If only they could bring in a 535 (base) with same base specs as the 523 and allow the purchaser to spec at will, that would have been great. Maybe in another parallel universe :lol:

not in another parallel universe but PARALLEL IMPORTER
pls dun restrict yourself to authorised dealers in our singapore "universe" :nutkick:
there must be a reason why they (PI) exist

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rikvip9fit

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back