5-series - Is this price difference possible ?

Re: 5-series - Is this price difference possible ?

sportster;546369 said:
I maybe wrong. Believe the PI indent the 523i from UK and the 523i version in UK only comes in 2997cc. Some PI are advertising in ST Classified 523i as 2997cc. Should have a better picture if we compare the OMV figure that PI is declaring for the 523i 2997cc model. PML is getting the 2497cc direct from Germany, don't think BMW Asia has special tie-up with all local PI as they are too small to be noted. I did some research recently as I am having some thought of self-import 1 unit of F10 from UK. It cost around $31K pound OTR price in UK, list price + 17.5% VAT tax. Should be abled to claim back the VAT tax under personal export scheme. Still talking to my relative stating in London on the details as it is a little hassle and is it worth the time/effort

This means PI 523 is the way to go... get 3000cc car, higher OMV, lower purchase price...8)

bmw8448;546371 said:
OMG, i am supposed to collect my F10 523 highline this coming june , with such low OMV, i think must clarify with SE immediately:confused:

Was informed that the lowest OMV 523 registered has a value of $37.5k and the highline has an OMV of $$43.5k....

I cancelled my booking for the highline as my current 525 has an OMV of $62+k, and I paid almost as much for it.

Couldn't bring myself to pay this.

F10 523 OMV $37K is even lesser than my E90 320 .... muahahaha

etan1;546393 said:
This means PI 523 is the way to go... get 3000cc car, higher OMV, lower purchase price...8)

3L will have higher road tax and higher insurance premium..............

cheers

ya, sounds so freaking ridiculous!
my 2 yo E90 has omv of 44k....

probably issued too many open cat COE during COE hike. now have to earn back. profit margin quite substantial from the lower omv

wt_know;546404 said:
F10 523 OMV $37K is even lesser than my E90 320 .... muahahaha

Well, I think a big part in the discrepancy is the exchange rate. Previously, the Euro Vs SGD was as high as $2.10 but due to the European financial troubles, its now about $1.75 (thereabouts). The OMV is based on the value of the car when it is imported so the low exchange rate does put a downer on the OMV of the car.

However, due to this, PML should not have raised the prices of the cars $30k (or so).

I believe that once the first few waves are cleared, PML will reduce the price as the 523 needs to compete with the E200 and Audi A6.

PML is laughing to the bank whether OMV is high or low .....

Slater;546413 said:
probably issued too many open cat COE during COE hike. now have to earn back. profit margin quite substantial from the lower omv

Last edited by a moderator:

Well no. of COEs are gonna reduce by half or thereabouts this year, if u are PML what will u do to increase/sustain profit with reduced sales? :D

hoks;546424 said:
Well no. of COEs are gonna reduce by half or thereabouts this year, if u are PML what will u do to increase/sustain profit with reduced sales? :D

I would think COE prices is somewhat stabilising and should hover around 30-40k range in the forseeable future. This is about 10-15k above Jan-10 level when 523 was launched at 188k. Hence if you ignore FX this translates to 200-205k for the base model. Of course Perf Motor would say that was "pre-launch" price and the official launch price would be a few k higher... which is... an acceptable argument.

But FX wise, 1 Euro > 2 SGD for the longest time. If Perf Motor is placing the orders now, 1 Euro < 1.75 SGD. Therefore the lower OMV is not surprising at all, and i dare say it does reflect the lower costs they paid for the stock possibly 10-12% lower (of course they could be lowering their "declared OMV" as well but we don't know).

Assuming they are paying SGD 5 - 10k lesser per car to Germany, this translates to SGD11.5k to SGD 23k lower costs. I would say, the reduction in their costs should offset the increase in COE price.

Well at the end of the day its supply and demand, they can't hold the 215k price tag unless consumers are willing to pay.

As far as I can remember, they don't state the OMV value in the sales agreement. Everything about it is hearsay.

whatupz;546468 said:
I dont understand why pml 2.5 523 can output the same 204hp with the 3.0 UK 523. Supercharged turbo ? Click what i find on the net All New BMW 5 Series Facelift .

Agreed...................

cheers

whatupz;546468 said:
I dont understand why pml 2.5 523 can output the same 204hp with the 3.0 UK 523. Supercharged turbo ? Click what i find on the net All New BMW 5 Series Facelift .

Well tuned 2.5L vs Detuned 3.0L .......
I would get the detuned 3.0L cos its very easy to tune up.
Like my 523, getting 20-30 more horse is a breeze

I think this 204hp 2.5L unit would fail EU emission test, that's why they dump it and detune the 3.0L and call it 523

Last edited by a moderator:

TheNew7;546403 said:
Was informed that the lowest OMV 523 registered has a value of $37.5k and the highline has an OMV of $$43.5k....

I cancelled my booking for the highline as my current 525 has an OMV of $62+k, and I paid almost as much for it.

Couldn't bring myself to pay this.

Is crazy to buy from PML base on the OMV being so much lower vs. E-90, which translate to a superb margin for PML. I will either get from PI as the difference in price will be more than sufficient for any repair needed during the 1st 3 years, or go for another brand of similar price bracket.

To be fair to PML: With the reduction in COE quota, and to maintain the same or higher revenue vs. 2009, PML will need to generate a higher margin per car sold so that numbers will look good at the end of the fiscal year. Also PML is not feeling the pinch vs. competitors in their segment, people will still continue to buy from them unlike makes like Porsche whom had faced threats from PI.

However is always about supply and demand. 8)

JasonKuan;546485 said:
To be fair to PML: With the reduction in COE quota, and to maintain the same or higher revenue vs. 2009, PML will need to generate a higher margin per car sold so that numbers will look good at the end of the fiscal year. Also PML is not feeling the pinch vs. competitors in their segment, people will still continue to buy from them unlike makes like Porsche whom had faced threats from PI. 8)

They know many people are going for the new 5 with less regard of unfair pricing because it just launched.
Let's wait for half a year more and see what happens, doubt they will be able to carry on with this fat margin once the rush to get this new model subsides.

I enquired both PML and PI recently. PI claimed that their 523 spec is higher although they cannot tell me in specific. Btw, the advertised prices from PI carries certain tricks. Without loan, it comes to around slightly below 200K which is still 16K cheaper than PML. Also, i expect OMV higher. PML's

any1 knows what are the guys at merc charging for their equivalent E class model?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FemiProreview

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back