advice on 2nd hand E65

generalstuff

bros,

thinking of changing my current ride and getting an E65 06/07, very attractive depreciation on those cars.

any advice or tips when buying.

heard maintenance can be a quite a bit.

thanks

Re: advice on 2nd hand E65

mod dark dark like infratint towkay sherman's 7 series....haha
just kidding, for the 7...i think engine still ok cos most are low mileage.....only things i notice are perhaps little stuff like hinges, lights, suction doors are getting on in their age so u don't see them working that well or even working....
just my personal 2 cents while working on em

perhaps bros like Sherman, Collin can advise as they have also gotten the 05/06 7 series recently this year

It's a good machine with much of joy in rides. However, the cost of maintenance is a bit high.

enjoy the ride....

generalstuff;700400 said:
bros,

thinking of changing my current ride and getting an E65 06/07, very attractive depreciation on those cars.

any advice or tips when buying.

heard maintenance can be a quite a bit.

thanks

Heres what i can give from my experience.

After you find one that looks good (interior/exterior), look out for the following when doing a test drive:

-Steering should be quite stable (i test drove a few when hunting, at least 2 had some looseness and disconnected feel)
-When driving over humps, the suspension should be firm but well "cushion-ed". (slowly of course) I drove a few that gave a clunk when going up a hump; like the one i eventually settled with, the bushings in the support arms were worn and needed replacing.
-Dont ignore the error codes if theres any, some may be a simple fix, but others need a whole lot of $$ and time back at PML (and PML only) to fix.
-Open the doors and leave them open. They should feel firm when you pull or push them. If they close on their own when left open, you'll need to replace the door brakes. Its a frequent issue so you'll have to live with it.
-Mine had a serious oil leak that killed the alternator and battery. Not sure if the 730s have the same issue though. (Mines a 750) Still, its worth a look around the engine bay just to make sure.

You're right about maintenance, it could cost a little more too. But its not so severe that you'll need frequent overhauls or leaving it at the workshop for days. Its a reliable car :)

Im sure you'll enjoy it as much as i do too! HTH! :D

Ok the safest buy is the 730... but the best dep would be for 740 or 750. For 7 series the some repairs will be as follows

Rear suspension (1.5k each) unless its 750 w EDC than its abt 2-2.5k (this is for LWB)
Coolant leak V8 (top overhaul)
Comfort access sensor problems
minor leakages
bushing wear
I drive failure
folding mirror malfuncton

For 730 the best year to get is 09/06 onwards. check for aux input in the glove compartment. and 07 model comes with rear entertaiment and some with sunroof. 08 is generally SWB. If u don't ferry pile the best buy is a 730ia.

cheers

PM me is u have any queries.

diablo_728;894106 said:
Ok the safest buy is the 730... but the best dep would be for 740 or 750. For 7 series the some repairs will be as follows

Rear suspension (1.5k each) unless its 750 w EDC than its abt 2-2.5k (this is for LWB)
Coolant leak V8 (top overhaul)
Comfort access sensor problems
minor leakages
bushing wear
I drive failure
folding mirror malfuncton

For 730 the best year to get is 09/06 onwards. check for aux input in the glove compartment. and 07 model comes with rear entertaiment and some with sunroof. 08 is generally SWB. If u don't ferry pile the best buy is a 730ia.

cheers

PM me is u have any queries.

Hi , i am interested in getting 1 of this facelift e 65, would like to know how can i differentiate 2006 imf 730 from non imf used?
R those 7 series used in IMF LI or I?

thongsoon;902490 said:
R there any difference in spec bet I and LI, Other than the extra space ?

I know there are extra "toys" at the back like electric door curtains and electric seats adjustments. And the OMV seemed to be generally $3k to $4k higher.

I was gunning for an Li, but practicality ruled. The i is easier to park, navigate in tight carparks, U-turn and consumes less petrol. My kids don't need the extra legroom, and I was worried if they would spoil the "toys". And the asking price was naturally lower too. :)

Can hope for the best but prepare for the worst...

Common electronic problems:
1) ABS/DSC control unit
2) Steering Angle Sensor aka SZL
3) Parking brake module
4) Alternator/battery/power mgmt module

Interior problems:
1) Steering adjustment stuck
2) Side mirror folding

Hi,
these are really good you can buy these by online if you want used than eBay can help you.
thanks.

finally collected my E66. looks like many nitty griddy things to fix. gps map is outdated and how come cannot search using PC? :angry: manual gear (on the steering wheel thingy) seems to be faulty. :furious: Soft opening is malfunction for one of the tray. read cups holder loose. need to source for a bluetooth speaker phone... PLEASE PLEASE HELP is you have solution for any of the above. TQ and kamsiah many many!

Dear All,

Just to answer a few queries. E65 is 730Li
what is the E66?

I got a friend looking to purchase a used 05 or 06 730Li.
Anything major to look out for?
As compared to E60, I suppose the E65 is more well built?

I just collected my 2005 730Li (E66 I think) 2 days ago. Do look out for the steptronic (play with the S/M/D button on the steering wheel. Mine don't work (kanna con) so I hope it's not a big dent in my pocket otherwise will just drive normal mode until scrap. Another thing is to try driving over a (small bump) at a slightly higher speed to see if anything wrong. Sadly mine got something bouncing in the car (especially behind the rear seats. Will have to send to workshop to check what is loose. Other than the above, check all buttons you can find. example: window folding, electric boot, electric rear windows blind... Good luck!

Aldebaran;950068 said:
Dear All,

Just to answer a few queries. E65 is 730Li
what is the E66?

I got a friend looking to purchase a used 05 or 06 730Li.
Anything major to look out for?
As compared to E60, I suppose the E65 is more well built?

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back