Aircooled Porsches....

Re: Aircooled Porsches....

Chanced upon the car a few days ago getting its plastic rear screen fitted. The photos, whilst nice, don't do it justice! You have to see it to believe it. Congrats, Boris!

Saturday 27th OCt 2007. 1630 hrs

After an ETERNAL wait, she is done. Done in the 'passed LTA inspection, paid insurance, road tax and season parking' sense.

Not done in the sense that there are still a couple of minor trim parts we are awaiting from suppliers and the engine is not yet fully tuned(you need to be able to rev her to the redline and tune her from redline downwards apparently), the rear "PORSCHE" script is missing from the supplier etc.

Under very strict run in instructions from Andy of Flatsix (He has become a near Nazi with regards to his baby. Almost like we are adopting his only daughter!), I pull out of Sin Ming Autocare. The drive home is a strange one. She drives like a cross between a 911SC and a beetle. Both familiar and yet not. I get home with mixed feelings but climbing out of her and seeing her in my driveway for the first time, is just SUCH an occasion. Petite and pretty, she really is a sight to behold.

28th Oct 2007, 5 am.

I can't sleep. After a relatively late night attending a wedding dinner, I sit up wide awake at 5am. Andy's running in instructions ring in my ear: Don't pussy foot her. Drive her hard and keep her between 3k to 5k rpm once she warms up.

I fire her up and we are gingerly off. After some 10 mins of gently warming her up, we have traversed the length of Orchard Road and are on Nichol Highway. I accelerate her hard out of the corner mindful of the need to keep her under 5k rpm. She really starts to scream at about 4.5k rpm. Some 45 mins later, I have travelled from Geylang on to the PIE, up to the second link, back down the AYE and am now turning off the CTE into river valley to pick my brother up. I am now getting the rhythm of her. The 915 gearbox requires some familarity and authority. The suspension is actually very compliant but the balance is very very sweet. And best of all is the steering. Because the car is so light (950kg wet) and so much of it is behind me, the steering feels power assisted (it isn't) and the feel and feedback is amazing. Shimmering away in your hands, the steering wheel communicates everything back to you. What a joy the total package is. Very vintage but very 911. I just can't wait for the car to be run in (1600 km) and I can find out what she is like from 5k to 7.1k.

Will post some pics

Here are some pictures taken at breakfast. Some 2.5 hours after I crept out of the house this morning...

PS. Admin. Tolong. pls help. Am useless at resizing pics to the correct size......Pls resize for me

lesRs1-vi.jpg

les_rs3-vi.jpg

les_rs3-vi.jpg

kes_rs4-vi.jpg

les_rs5-vi.jpg

A beauty indeed. Looks like a real labour of love you've got there. Restored cars of this calibre all too often end up locked away, off the road and off the race track. Please give her the regular outings that she deserves.

400km covered over the weekend. 5k rev limit comes off at 1600km. I really want to hear her at full chat so I have been 'working hard' on driving her as much as possible.

Only trouble is that the run in period actually does not mean driving gently. She needs to be excercised hard but with a 5k rev limit (once warmed up throughly of course). So driving to work is involving a little 'fast and furious' action. Much to the amusement and/or disgust of the folk who take the same route to work as I do.

gibe me spare keeyyy

Ditto, in case you need another volunteer. I usually drive slowly so I will have to bring myself to drive faster, just for you. :)

Congrats; can't wait to see her in the flesh now that she's done.

Wah, since I've had a 2.7 911 with the same 915 box, I can help drive too. Heh heh.... she's a beauty!

Wah! No shortage of volunteers....

Am at 500km now and enjoying every mile. My dear 6 year old son loves the car to bits. In it's current state of tune, there is a lot of popping and pinging from the engine which still needs a final tuning that can only happen when you can take it to the rev limit. He reckons that the pings sound like the popping of popcorn in the popcorn machine and has christiened the car, the popcorn car!

His favourite feature is the hand wind up windows. Something he has obviously never experienced before in a car.

Come to think of it, there must be a sizable number of you folk who have never tried that before as well. Where is schoolboy Nick?

I'll take wind up windows over powered ones any day. My first experience with power windows was in 1979 when my dad rented a Chevy Monte Carlo when we were travelling in Cali. It was such a kick to watch them go up and down.

Looks like your Porker is making waves, Boris. All the sightings around town and SMSes been sent... :)

How not to? Ah Beng Green stickers everywhere.....

Am now at 650km. Managed to do some 80km last night. Engine getting smoother. Driver also learning how to drive the damn thing better.... But still leaving a host of folk on the roads in the entrails of white smoke!

BorisRS, And I thought this is THE BMW forum. Dropped by and am bewitched by this whole rebuild. Wonderful indeed and I am very inpressed. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclubgripe
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back