Aircooled Porsches....

Re: Aircooled Porsches....

caySman;218054 said:
Fuchs rims

MY GOD! The legendary FUCHS? on a beetle? did you get killed by P-maniacs?

Haha!No leh..never...somemore the ones I had were the early fuchs with the 3-prong center caps..i got them at a steal through Chow at Lagonda..haha! I still have them at home even though I dun have my beetle already!

A good example of early fuchs can command a price of nearly USD2K..not bad huh?!

SmOcKxY;218060 said:
Haha!No leh..never...somemore the ones I had were the early fuchs with the 3-prong center caps..i got them at a steal through Chow at Lagonda..haha! I still have them at home even though I dun have my beetle already!

A good example of early fuchs can command a price of nearly USD2K..not bad huh?!
If you were in the UK, stolen already for sure!

Yup, should be the same turquoise one.. but the owner I met was a young chinese bloke.Think he has since sold it off.

hackzi;218085 said:
Yup, should be the same turquoise one.. but the owner I met was a young chinese bloke.Think he has since sold it off.

Ahh i see...wrong one then..the one I saw was also turquoise with black interior..SBC plate.

How about the Carrera 3.2? Haven't seen many around.

SmOcKxY;218088 said:
Ahh i see...wrong one then..the one I saw was also turquoise with black interior..SBC plate.

How about the Carrera 3.2? Haven't seen many around.
Different car then. The one I was referring to was recently advertised on sgcarmart but think it has since been sold.

Go for the '87-'89 Carrera 3.2 with the G50 trans but be prepared to pay a premium for a good example. I've come across quite a few nice examples but none for sale AFAIK.

915 gearboxes are all 5 speeders. And these were fitted on 911s as far back as the early 70s. The 2.7 rs has the 915 gearbox. The 4 speed box was fitted on the 930 turbos. Given the amount of power and torque those cars had (for the day), porsche deemed the 4 speed sufficient and also a bit more compact to fit. Only very very late 930 turbos (I think just the 89 cars) had a G50. The 964 had a 5 speed G50 box (but with a different part number from the usual G50 as it was strengthened for the additonal power (400 bhp on the 3.6 version)

Some pictures from me and my friend's restoration project. Car is a 74 Euro Carerra. i.e. mechanically identical to the 73 RS in terms of engine, suspension and gearbox but with the impact bumpers and tombstone seats etc from the 'modern' era.

This is a picture of the car in the morning of 18th Oct 20 06 before they really started taking her apart and later in the afternoon when the main parts like fenders, entire interior etc had been removed.

Now some pics from many months later. Basically, removing all the old paint and getting to bare metal both inside and out is a very very slow process. Then you need somebody patient and skilled to slowly remove all the rust and weld new sheetmetal on. Car was basically intact but there were the expected rust areas and a few minor parking type fender benders. Nothing major but still needing plenty of patience and effort to slowly go through and remove all the 'cancer'.

This is a recent set of pictures. All the primer has been applied to bare metal and first coat of paint sprayed. New suspension (original 2.7 RS of course) is fitted to ensure that everything fits nicely before everything is stripped again to allow the body shell to be painted and clear coated.

Smockxy,

Sorry to hijack the thread but since you were on the topic, thought I would share.

Anyway, the car is about 4-5 months away from completion and when done, objective is a true RS replica. Completely faithfull to the original with the exception of modern brakes and rubber. Brakes are a 964 carerra front, 3.2 rear setup. If it goes according to plan, we should be getting around 220 bhp (210 original but this will have a sports air box and free flowing exhaust) and hopefully less than 950 kg with a half tank of petrol. Keeping fingers crossed....

Looks sweet Boris :) will this still be an aircooled engine?

Where is this done? In SG?
My Bad Just saw the earlier pics.. looks cool

Looks like one of the Project Ultimate 911 cars in GT Porsche mag

What's the cost of this project? Including the original donor car plus all the patching up and new kit going to put this back on the street?

Looking good, Les! Lots of hard work put into it... I'm sure it's gonna turn out real sweet!
Ahem... can I get a ride when it's done? ;)

Btw, going EFI?

Damn, I miss my car. :(

always nice to see work in progress images.... :)
shows the amt. of detail going into the work of the car.. luvly, gonna do the classic RS colour scheme?

Thanks for all the compliments.

Engine will stay faithful to the original spec (which is identical to the 73 RS) i.e. 2.7 litres, MFI but with a aftermarket airbox and a free flowing exhaust.

Colour is white/green as per what Porsche's own car which I saw when I did a factory visit in 2004 and is the car that initially sparked off this search to build a RS replica that is as faithful to the original as is practical to do.

I love that undercarriage shot showing the shocks, suspension and brake lines. Gotta admire the simplicity and robustness of the design.

Just got the AC on my car fixed. Big bills these last two years!

:yikess: :yikess: :yikess:

OH! I though you said '...big balls.."

more hijacking of this thread.

We are about 2 months away from completion. engine is rebuilt and coupled to transmission and mounted back in the car. Fuel system is fitted, brakes are all fitted. Waiting for mounting of front oil cooler to complete system and start her up. Once she can start, we will be fitting all the interior trim and the glass and she will be complete bar the shouting.
Man!! Getting very impatient seeing her slowly but very impressively being put together. I must say that Andy has exceeded my expectations in terms of being really fussy and anal about putting the car together. Take a look at the photos to see how well things are being put together. Car really is 100% new or refurbished parts.

BorisRS;246572 said:
more hijacking of this thread.

did you see the mark I made under your left front wheel arch...:) :yummie:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OneTab
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back