Alpine BMW HIFI upgrade kit

Re: Alpine BMW HIFI upgrade kit

Just took my car today after installation.

Sounded better and money pretty well spent I would say other than the problem i'm facing.

Do u all realise that the amp seems to have a bit of delay? i.e when u freshly start ur car and press the audio "on" button, the sound came softer and abt 1-2sec later, it be became louder. I deduce that it should be the amp that was powered slower than it shld be. I dunno if it is normal for this ugrade kit but it is defintely annoying.. :furious:

Will be calling pml up to see if this is inherent or wat.. :angry:

Hi bfd,
i have that same problem as well. I suspect that it is due to a capacitor needing to charge up causing the delay. I also notice that service message beeps sounding much louder now - eg if you drive without buckling yr seat belt, the beep is irritatingly louder now.
The kit is also fairly revealing - now where you get a dip in radio broadcast or mild interference, you will hear some intermittent noise.

The amp will turn 'On' after it detect a signal from the front speaker wire (the HU front speaker wire goes into the Alpine amp first, and then the amplified sound goes from the amp back into the front speakers/woofer. The amp is simply just taking the front speaker signals and amplify it). The short delay is likely to be the delay in detection and powering up the amp and delivering the amplified sound to the front speakers.

The soft sound heard initially could likely be from the rear speakers, as it is directly powered from the HU without any delay.

kiss29;446901 said:
The amp will turn 'On' after it detect a signal from the front speaker wire (the HU front speaker wire goes into the Alpine amp first, and then the amplified sound goes from the amp back into the front speakers/woofer. The amp is simply just taking the front speaker signals and amplify it). The short delay is likely to be the delay in detection and powering up the amp and delivering the amplified sound to the front speakers.

The soft sound heard initially could likely be from the rear speakers, as it is directly powered from the HU without any delay.

So u guys are having the same issue..:angry:

Apparently, the amp is 'on' through the original speakers signal like wat u've said. I've called pml this morning and hope they can come up with some software that can 'cure' this prob.. Waiting for their feedback.

I'm quite sure the initial sound is from the front speaker but whatever it is, it is very irritating.

Hi guys,
Just did the hi-fi upgrade today. Got the same problem of turning on hi-fi with a softer sound then it gets louder, will monitor the situation and report after I drove the car for a couple of days. Other than that, the car now sound nicer :p Also, my MObridge Bluetooth system is working fine after the installation.

jseah_70;447338 said:
Hi guys,
Just did the hi-fi upgrade today. Got the same problem of turning on hi-fi with a softer sound then it gets louder, will monitor the situation and report after I drove the car for a couple of days. Other than that, the car now sound nicer :p Also, my MObridge Bluetooth system is working fine after the installation.

I realized something weird concerning this lag when turning on the stereo. If you start your car in the morning and turn on the stereo, or start car, drive off and turn on stereo, you experience the lag. However, if you turn on your car, turn on the stereo while reversing your car, it is instant on without lag. Seems like the stereo likes to be turned on while you reverse...them bmw engineers sure have one warped sense of humour...

cool! Now we know the engineers like to do it from behind :D

Any updates on the Alpine system after one month of installation?
Anyone care to give their one month-after review?
Thanks.

kiss29;458161 said:
Any updates on the Alpine system after one month of installation?
Anyone care to give their one month-after review?
Thanks.
the alpine upgrade sounds as if one has not done any upgrade.... the wow factor has all but disappeared :) now it sounds like any other music system to my ears

Agree, my euphoria lasted 2 weeks only after I heard most of the songs on my iPod with the new system. But at least it sounds a lot better when you turn up the volume.

just contacted my SA on this, as the promo is over, the Alpine kit costs $1486 now. Tried calling Eng Soon but they say they never bring in b4....?????

During POJ Alpine kit was offered at $1,168 nett. Currently, there is another promotion going on for Alpine kit at $1,268 nett ($100 more ex than POJ). Have my installation at Kampong Arang (1 day job, collect car on same day). Can call the parts dept and talk to Ah Yang.

Here is my review and my HU settings depending on types of song:

Before:
Bass +3 / Treble + 2 or Bass + 2 / Treble + 1

After:
Bass -3 / Treble +1 or Bass -2 / Treble + 1

The alpine bass is too strong with humming effect. Either the Alpine amp is tok kong or the alpine midrange speaker is lousy (could be better). In normal listening there is not much improvement compare to stock. In loud hearing, the sound is great :thumbsup:
Based on the current findings, if I could choose again I might invest the $1.2K on BSW speakers upgrade, which includes 2 midrange speaker + 2 tweeter + 2 rear speaker.

Quick question:

1. The OEM HU does not show volume level. Is there a setting to show volume level when we turn up/down the volume ?

2. Any other use with the original 2 x midrange speaker ?

Sephir0th;458432 said:
just contacted my SA on this, as the promo is over, the Alpine kit costs $1486 now. Tried calling Eng Soon but they say they never bring in b4....?????

bfd;446963 said:
So u guys are having the same issue..:angry:

Apparently, the amp is 'on' through the original speakers signal like wat u've said. I've called pml this morning and hope they can come up with some software that can 'cure' this prob.. Waiting for their feedback.

I'm quite sure the initial sound is from the front speaker but whatever it is, it is very irritating.

hi bfd,

i was wondering if you've managed to get pml to resolve the issue yet?

i am considering the alpine upgrade as well (new promo from pml) but i don't want to frustration that comes with louder car chimes and delayed amp response.

hope to hear from you. thanks!

According to PML there is no solution to this problem. It is a design flaw. You will hear the softer sound first before the amplifier kicks in.

premraj;476871 said:
hi bfd,

i was wondering if you've managed to get pml to resolve the issue yet?

i am considering the alpine upgrade as well (new promo from pml) but i don't want to frustration that comes with louder car chimes and delayed amp response.

hope to hear from you. thanks!

wt_know;476874 said:
According to PML there is no solution to this problem. It is a design limitation because the amplifier is powered/activated by the front speaker.

You will hear the softer sound first before the amplifier kicks in.

hi wt_know,

many thanks for responding. i guess i'll give the alpine upgrade a miss then.

cheers!

hi, can i check with u guys after installing the alpine system, does the steering control still works???

thks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tk88betcomvn
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back