An Unbiased Review of Sin Wee Chuan (aka Mike)

Re: An Unbiased Review of Sin Wee Chuan (aka Mike)

Hi guys any pros & cons to change the entire car from a factory painted colour to a totally different colour ? will paint peel off later on ? :) Thanks

Hi MW can u PM me the price u paid for the paint works. Thanks

darylmarklim;556654 said:
If your remember this post, im trying to get the same dark titanium grey on the r34, grigio avalon.

gorgeous GTRs! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

I have a paint repair job- maroon 523. I visited both mike and angie. Angie was 50$ less( 400)
But decided to go to mike. Both said 3 days for the job. Will update after the job is done.

MW;526079 said:
As some of you may know, I recently sent my car in to SWC (aka Mike) to spray my entire car from Jet Black to Alpine White. I see that nobody here has ever done a review of his (and his workers') workmanship and thus I thought it would do some justice that I do a review here.

As most would be aware, to change colour of the entire car is a huge project and from black to white is even more huge-er and headache-y. I enquired with a few "reputable" spray painters and eventually through the strong recommendation of a few forummers here, I decided on Mike.

He said "two weeks to do a proper job", did not brief me much on the procedure, until I probed and asked further as a matter of curiosity. So I left, eagerly waiting for the 2 weeks to pass by agonizingly.

On the 13th day, I smsed Mike to ask when it would be ready and he said he would try to finish by today. Oh good, I can get it EARLIER than the 2 weeks. It was 10am. I waited and waited till his sms came finally at 4.50pm.."Boss, ur car ready". I hopped onto the next cab and rushed to Ubi.

When I saw my car, my jawed dropped. It was sheer beauty. I went to inspect the workmanship and it was excellent as though it was a completely new car collected from PML. Mike then walked me through the spray painting procedure and showed me the grooves and little corners of the car which was excellently sprayed white. All the panels and the engine bay as well as the boot and spare wheel well were superbly sprayed.

Mike even changed some of the parts which broke when the car was dismantled and did not charge me. All other parts were genuine ones ordered from PML and replaced at low cost and no unreasonable mark-ups.

In all, it was an excellent job and I am very pleased...considering that I was once skeptical that anyone could do a job as if it was straight from the factory and also thought that Mike's workmanship was overrated. Mike CAN deliver if he promises you a date. He CAN deliver a superb job as if it came from the factory. He is NOT that expensive as some here have stated. He is also friendly and will enter into discussions with you on car modifications. I had to escape or else I would end up spending more money.

I will post pics when I am able to.

So to those forumers who are thinking of spraying their cars and asking who to go or too lazy to do their own research. I will say Mike (SWC) is one EXCELLENT choice to go to.

One of my friends also sent his car in to spray from Grey to Alpine White at another reputable and highly recommended spray painter. He will collect his car soon and I will do a review then as a comparison.

Hi Bro,

Can you please be that kind soul who share Mike's contacts, location and damage (wallet) when you have these done with Mike?

Thanx in adv.

Lau

lau;584127 said:
Hi Bro,

Can you please be that kind soul who share Mike's contacts, location and damage (wallet) when you have these done with Mike?

Thanx in adv.

Lau

Hi Lau,

SWC: Blk 3021-A, Ubi Road 1, #01-40
Mike 9107 4888

cheers

ac323;584128 said:
Hi Lau,

SWC: Blk 3021-A, Ubi Road 1, #01-40
Mike 9107 4888

cheers

WOW, Thanx Bro AC... you 24/7 on BMW-SG? seem like every post I made, you have the answer.... :)

next time, I better ask you directly and need not to post in forum leh... :)

Lau

lau;584130 said:
WOW, Thanx Bro AC... you 24/7 on BMW-SG? seem like every post I made, you have the answer.... :)

next time, I better ask you directly and need not to post in forum leh... :)

Lau

Hi Lau,

just happenned to saw your post ya...

cheers

lau;584127 said:
Hi Bro,

Thanx in adv.

Lau

Damage is 3k just for the paint job, excluding any parts which requires changing such as rubber seals and other wear and tear stuff you never knew about. I would say u are looking at about ma 3.5k for a darn good complete job with the usual parts change. He will always say 2 weeks so leave him to do his job. 2 weeks he says, 2 weeks he will deliver unless he tells you otherwise beforehand. I would confidently say all my other cars in future I will go to him.

MW;584264 said:
Damage is 3k just for the paint job, excluding any parts which requires changing such as rubber seals and other wear and tear stuff you never knew about. I would say u are looking at about ma 3.5k for a darn good complete job with the usual parts change. He will always say 2 weeks so leave him to do his job. 2 weeks he says, 2 weeks he will deliver unless he tells you otherwise beforehand. I would confidently say all my other cars in future I will go to him.

ohh... Thank you for those good info..

Hi,

With so many good reviews of SWC on this forum, I am truly convinced of Mike's skills. But workmanship aside, how is the quality of the paint used? All the reviews I have read so far seems to talk about Mike's workmanship but not the quality of the paint.

I am contemplating sending my car there to get a fresh coat of paint (same colour), but my main concern is the quality of the new paint. The original BMW paint is quite tough and seems to be less prone to swirls and chips as compared to jap cars. The only reason I haven't sent my car to SWC is I do not want to spend money to slap inferior paint over the original BMW paint.

Do you know the brand of the paint that SWC is using? If its not too much trouble can you give a short review of the paint quality so far? In terms of gloss, durability, etc as compared to the original paint.

Thanks. ;)

MW;584264 said:

i just did my bodykit with swc mike. quality of work is good but like you said don't know what paint he use.
but i do have a little complain though. upon collection, the bodykit (front & rear bumper) already got swirl marks
i guess is the polishing/cleaning that they are not good at. i have done respray (not full car) with at least 2 other workshops for my previous ride (ubi & sin ming) and all of them have the same problem. hence, i'm not sure whether you send your car for a fresh coat and upon collection you see swirl marks on your swee swee bonnet :(

Ya that's one of my main worries for the new paint job. I had sent my previous cars to sin ming paint shops for minor repairs before and they usually came back with swirls, had to re-polish the affected areas on my own. :shakehea:

wt_know;586837 said:
i just did my bodykit with swc mike. quality of work is good but like you said don't know what paint he use.
but i do have a little complain though. 1st day of collection, the bodykit (front & rear bumper) already got swirl marks
i guess is the polishing/cleaning that they are not good at. i have done spray with at least 2 other workshops for my previous ride (ubi & sin ming) and all of them have the same problem. hence, i'm not sure whether you send your car for a fresh coat and upon collection you see swirl marks on your swee swee bonnet :(

i did my car at mike's but i informed him not to do the final polishing. did the final finishing at a car groomer. as for the brand or type of paint, if i am not mistaken, i think mike told me it's standox...

Honestly I am not sure about the paint quality cos mine was complete change of colour so I cannot really do a comparison. However, based on my 7 months with this new coat of paint, I have no big complaints other than Alpine White really needs alot of maintenance and any scratch marks or hairline scratches are easily seen. I don't know if these scratches are because of inferior paint quality or its just like that for white cars. Last time when my car was jet black, I couldn't even see any scratches but then swirl marks were seen as well on original paint.

But I would venture to say that SWC's paint quality can't be that bad given the loyal following it has and any complaints would most probably be from people who dun really take care of their cars and prefer tough paint quality to last without much maintenance like Mercedes one. I wash and detail my car once a week, sometimes two if I have time and not lazy, so the paintwork is kept in tip top condition for me to give an unbiased view of its quality. I think by the time any "defective" paint quality is shown, it would be a few years down the road and probably car already sold or exported to some godforsaken country where people get married by jumping over a bonfire

Painted my car there many times, no issue at all.

Thanks for your honest review. I do agree that I have not seen any serious complaints about SWC's job in this forum yet, so i can safely assume there is no quality issues with the paint he use.

Looks like I have to find time to visit Mike soon.

MW;586867 said:
Honestly I am not sure about the paint quality cos mine was complete change of colour so I cannot really do a comparison. However, based on my 7 months with this new coat of paint, I have no big complaints other than Alpine White really needs alot of maintenance and any scratch marks or hairline scratches are easily seen. I don't know if these scratches are because of inferior paint quality or its just like that for white cars. Last time when my car was jet black, I couldn't even see any scratches but then swirl marks were seen as well on original paint.

But I would venture to say that SWC's paint quality can't be that bad given the loyal following it has and any complaints would most probably be from people who dun really take care of their cars and prefer tough paint quality to last without much maintenance like Mercedes one. I wash and detail my car once a week, sometimes two if I have time and not lazy, so the paintwork is kept in tip top condition for me to give an unbiased view of its quality. I think by the time any "defective" paint quality is shown, it would be a few years down the road and probably car already sold or exported to some godforsaken country where people get married by jumping over a bonfire

mike uses spies-hecker ... one of the better brands... no worries

last time i told mike respray my car and make it the most glossy and reflective jet black ever... i dunno what he do for sure i havent seen any car on the road that is shinier than my ex car...

as for the swirls as one mentioned upon collecting... just like collecting ur brand new car in the dealer... they are not expert in grooming they are using it to level the paint and polish visible defects like dimples after spraying which might cause swirls on your paint...you might want to send it to a groomer one more time

Hi MW do you have review of the other paintshop you wanted to share ready?

I'm thinking of re-spraying my E36 and happen to be at Lye Design just now with my friend so just ask ask for quote. I was quoted 2k+ for exterior painting, 3k+ for complete. When I asked if they strip the old paint completely before doing the new paint, they say nowadays paintshops don't do that anymore. cos too time consuming and depends on paintshop want to take or not., they only sand wherever that needs to be sanded. If I really want total stripping, it will be much more than 3k+. Wonder how true.

Anybody tried Toh Ah Swee Painting before? Was recommended to me by Milk15 long ago.

Still thinking what colour to do, Black, White, Bright Red or some unique colours :)

Mockngbrd;586949 said:
Lye design f###ed up my bonnet respray/repair

Opss... he left his car for them already haha... where did you paint your E36 red bro, whats the damage?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
n6663

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back