anyone upgraded ICE on E90?

maestro

hi, wondering if anyone has upgraded their ICE for E90, care to share the experience?

Stock system is Harmon Kardon if I am not mistaken. So far the stock system is ok but wondering what would be a good upgrade. Front speakers?

Re: anyone upgraded ICE on E90?

I've attempted to fixed an active subwoofer on my E90 a month ago. Unfortunately the guys at the auto shop doesn't know how to remove the head unit.......... So nothing can be done at the moment until they learn the tricks...:whipper:

saw dis white E90 souping up his sound system at sims avenue(alpine), near eunos mrt station.. goin there to check out for sound system when i am free..

i understand there is no ignition signal.... so how do they determine when to turn on or off the amplifers?

Oh... i realised u are talking about the one which is along the main changi or upper changi road. ERm.. i wouldn't go to that shop. I don't think the boss knows what he is talking about.

Guys - please post your findings. I have wanted to updagrade ICE since collecting the E90 320i since last Jul. Like yourself, I have been to a recommended shop in Sixth Ave and was kindly turn away. Thanks.

I am keen. Iceman recommends Hong Guan. Called them and asked about E90, the guy over the phone said they have done one already but did not provide details. Will visit the shop when I have the time. Will share what I learn. What I like for my ICE is clarity, not big sounding bass. Guess I will retain the head unit, replace the speakers with components and add more powerful amps to drive them. What do you think? any recommendations?

I upgraded my ICE at HG late last year. So guess I am the E90 they were referring too haha. Didnt know I was the only guinea pig haha.
They lobbed in 2 Tru Tech Amplifiers, Seas Lotus 4 inch reference component speakers for the front and Seas Lotus performance component speakers for the back. Two Morel 10 inch woofers are mounted at the back to provide the punchy bass.
Overall ,I am quite satisfied with the set up but did cost me half an arm and leg haha. For that I have to forgo my 18 inch rims for the time being.

fantastic3 - how much does your half an hand and leg cost? Care to share about the installers at HG? Are they careful with your ride and were there lots of cutting and sawing during the install.

Motofish said:
fantastic3 - how much does your half an hand and leg cost? Care to share about the installers at HG? Are they careful with your ride and were there lots of cutting and sawing during the install.

Hi Motofish,

I chose to install the 4inch components speakers so that there will be no cutting of the door. If u notice the E90 existing speaker location at the front door, its is in a arkward position very near to the door handle. So I decided to stick to 4inch components so minimum cutting and avoid future rattlings and problems.I am allergic to rattles:mad:

The rest of the sawing and cutting are all standard with the back speaker board. They fabricated 2 tweeters enclosure to sit nicely on top of the dashboard for better soundstage which looks impressive.

As for installation, I think its best to be around while they are working on your car.I spent the whole saturday from 9am to 7pm just to make sure my car was handled with care and also learn from the installation process.

As for the pricing, dont think I want to discuss in detail. I think you can always work out your budget with your installer. They can always tailor something to suit your budget.

Lastly, I just want to share my ICE upgrade experience with you guys since I notice I was the very few who has done an ICE upgrade on the E90 so far.

I cant say HG is the best installer or best value. As with all mods, most important the end result sends a grin to your face:)

Good luck in your search and hope the above helps

Cheers

First - my apologies. Some of you kind bros offered to join me at HG. I went down during lunch this afternoon and since I had to be back in AMK by 2 pm, it was a short visit so I did not SMS you. If and when I decide to go ahead with the ICE upgrade, I will SMS you and kopi on me. sorry.

Now what I learn from HG. I was shown photos of the installation on a E90, likely fantastic3 ride. I like the tweeter on the dashboard, nicely done. I sat in Daniel (owner's son) car and listen to the Lotus speakers, sounds good but not the greatest I have heard. Largely because they have changed some components just yesterday and have not had the time to tune it. Audition the same speakers in the showroom and I am truely impressed. Good choice fantastics3.

For my ride, I told them that I wanted clarity more than bass and volume. I am not keen on adding new bass boxes so I am going to keep the 2 woofers under the seats. HG recommended that I change to reference series component (Lotus) speakers for the front and back. They have also recommended 4 channel Itallian amp to drive the speakers. With the x-overs, cables, tweeters enclosure and labor, the whole job would cost more than a set of Breyton 18" rims plus tires. PM me if you like to know the price.

Someone asked about iDrive. The answer was that unless you change the headunit, that should not be a problem.

As oneHeadlight suggested, I am going to do more research on the recommended speakers and amp. Afterall, this is the first time I heard of Lotus speakers (always though they make sport cars), quite swaku. Probably going to shop around before I commit. I still have a preference for HG because of their experience with E90.

Happy New Year to all.

hi e46sg, make it 'simple'... go for the H701... u'll luv it!

hello Moto... Lotus speakers are very good, but there is a spike at 4khz region i believe, so the installer must be skillful enough to know how to place the tweeters and how to tune to compensate. Also, if you are sticking to stock headunit, and not adding any processor, you do not need such good speakers. As richlee said, at least add the alpine H701...

If e90 only allows 4inch upfront...there's gonna be a struggle for midbass frequencies... and if you are also not keen on subwoofers (sorry, i dont know wat u mean by woofers under your seat ), your setup is gonna sound very strange...

Why would an installer recommend two pair of high end component speakers to a non-audiophile ?
Ain't it also easier to have rear speakers for rear fill only ? Hmm....

oh btw, this Lotus is SEA Lotus la.. haha... YNWA

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ww88atcom
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back