anyone upgraded ICE on E90?

Re: anyone upgraded ICE on E90?

Hey bros, anymore update on the ICE upgrade? I'm still waiting eagerly to upgrade. What are the stock speakers?

e46sg said:
Prior to doing that, i need to check out yours 1st!

So when can i do that? :)
hi e46sg.

Bro, nothing to shout about on my side la, coz not the best components used, nor the best tuner ;) ... in fact, visually, you see nothing, but no prob to check it out anyway. if there are appropriate meetups, coz so far, almost out of town most of the days. march should be good month, i think. any meetups on Sat nites? if so, i might be able to join. Sunday meets are tuff for me. wife n children will disown me :)

see you sometime!

What we have on the 320i is the enter level stereo speakers from Philips. Not sure about 325 and 330i. Specs attached.

went to leader auto(alpine) at sims avenue just now...
swr-1222d_114.jpg

SWR-1222D 12" 500W RMS (24Hz-500Hz) subwoofer and
mrd-m605.jpg

MRD-M605 600W X 1 RMS(1000W X 1 MAX).. amplifier
for SGD1K... guys wat u reckon? :confused:

smoobies said:
went to leader auto(alpine) at sims avenue just now...

SWR-1222D 12" 500W RMS (24Hz-500Hz) subwoofer and

MRD-M605 600W X 1 RMS(1000W X 1 MAX).. amplifier
for SGD1K... guys wat u reckon? :confused:

Huh? You mean just add in a subwoofer + amp to power it? Won't the original (weak) speakers be terribly overpowered by the bass...

Better to spread the budget and get a 4 ch amp to drive new component speakers in front, and a smaller subwoofer in the back. If you ae not after branded stuff, you should be able to do this for around the same money.

hmmm i see.. actually thy also hav the 4 channels wif speakers(alpine).. also ard 1k, but w/o subwoofer... thanks..

Hey Smooth... i Second Iceman. To achieve any decent improvement, u need to replace the front to a decent enough pair of components. Then add a subwoofer and have an amp to power it.
Do consider 2nd stuff from upgraders. else $1k gonna be tight.

4 ch amp - from $400+
component speakers (front) - from $200+
Subwoofer + box (or + freeair install) - from $300+
Cables + installation - from $200

So yes, oneheadlight is correct, taking in account these 'from' prices are very basic, and based on brand new equipment.

May i add that its encouraged to have a separate amp for the subwoofer ? A decent sub should have at least 200 or 250rms into it.

Iceman... tio boh ?

I am going with Oneheadlight and Iceman recommendations. Change the front to components and add a freeair (wife needs the boot space) subwoofer. Add amp to drive these new additions. Will retain the head unit and let the exisiting amp drive the under-the-seat subwoofers and existing speakers at the back. But I have to wait to PML rectify exisiting problems so the install is going to be likely at the end of the month. Will keep the you guys informed.

can share with me .. what's the stock setup of the e90 ? I am surprised it has amps and subs under the seat etc ....

btw, freeair... can be tricky if wrong choice of sub, and not enough power etc.

That's interesting... I need more details of the actual stock ICE that comes with the E90. See if I got chance to witness one being stripped apart. I don't mind taking pics and writing it up for the community - like what I did for my E46.

oneHeadlight said:
May i add that its encouraged to have a separate amp for the subwoofer ? A decent sub should have at least 200 or 250rms into it.

Iceman... tio boh ?

Ha ha.. tio.

But if budget is a problem, make it a nice 4 ch amp. For example 4x70, and bridge two channels for the sub. If you bridge it plus wire it to 2 ohms, will hit 200-250 easily for the sub.

I like 4 ch amps coz they are easily to upgrade with. When the next upgrade is due, get a separate monoblock for the sub, and the 4 ch can be used for the front components to go active bi-amping (preferred), or can power the rear speakers.

I always see so many upgraders not knowing what to do, and have to trade in their 2 ch amps at a loss coz they always end up buying 2 x 2ch amps at first, and run out of space and config options when they want to add more power. It is not often that folks will tolerate one separate amp hanging around just to power the tweeters...

__iceman__ said:
Ha ha.. tio.

But if budget is a problem, make it a nice 4 ch amp. For example 4x70, and bridge two channels for the sub. If you bridge it plus wire it to 2 ohms, will hit 200-250 easily for the sub.

I like 4 ch amps coz they are easily to upgrade with. When the next upgrade is due, get a separate monoblock for the sub, and the 4 ch can be used for the front components to go active bi-amping (preferred), or can power the rear speakers.

I always see so many upgraders not knowing what to do, and have to trade in their 2 ch amps at a loss coz they always end up buying 2 x 2ch amps at first, and run out of space and config options when they want to add more power. It is not often that folks will tolerate one separate amp hanging around just to power the tweeters...

The initial proces is pretty hellish as i can recall. When you thought you've made up your mind, you heard another setup, another comment... oh dear... blackhole !!

back to the amp... with limited budget, its hard to get an amp that is 2ohm stable i suspect...
i remember one old-bird told me... to be into ICE, you need 3 things.
1. Money
2. Time
3. Space

i am beginning to suspect the so-called subwoofers under the seat in e90 are actuallly midbass, and they have a 4incher at the door..and the tweets. Basically 3 way i suspect...
hopefully someone can verify ...

Hi Guys,

I am really new with ICE, and am really unhappy with the stock E90 sound system.

I am not any audiophile, but something is seriously missing with the system, sounds quite hollow from low to high range.

My last car with stock Kenwood system sounds at least more rounded.

What will be the most basic upgrade we can do here, adding an amp somewhere and/or changing a pair of speakers ??? Can we tweak anything ???

Not asking for much , and cost is a concern,say between $500-$1000.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers !!!

Guys,

on pg 3, I hav posted a table on the stereo equipment used on E90. I think we hav the basic (not for US) stereo as stock on the 320i. Basically 4X15w @ 4 ohm from the head unit, 3.9' philips speakers front and back, and 2X 6.3' central subwoofers, also from philips. These subwoofers are neatly mounted under the front seats.

For my ride, I am going with the Baupunkt 4x75 w RMS amp. 2 channel to drive the front compoenents (CDT HD series likely) and 2 channels bridged to driver the freeair subwoofer (brand not selected yet). Install will be end of Feb. Will PM all who have shown interest. Maybe a small meetup at the workshop while they strip me car apart. Cheers.

Motofish.

oneHeadlight said:
The initial proces is pretty hellish as i can recall. When you thought you've made up your mind, you heard another setup, another comment... oh dear... blackhole !!

back to the amp... with limited budget, its hard to get an amp that is 2ohm stable i suspect...
i remember one old-bird told me... to be into ICE, you need 3 things.
1. Money
2. Time
3. Space

i am beginning to suspect the so-called subwoofers under the seat in e90 are actuallly midbass, and they have a 4incher at the door..and the tweets. Basically 3 way i suspect...
hopefully someone can verify ...

it is possible to have 6" subs. Just that they won't go that deep. Being mounted under the front seat and being 2 ohms, they maximize the use of whatever little power is being fed to them, and can transmit the full force into the front. Pretty neat idea. If its under the seat, do you know how much pounding you will get if you mount an ordinary 10"... crazy man. perhaps these 6" 'subs' also play a little higher in freq, perhaps starting from 300hz to complement the 4".

For the E90, if the front mids in the door are 4", and if that 4" speaker is of decent quality and is able to have high excursion, you can get reasonable sound out of it. Only that I suspect the stock Philips units do not have the ability to pump that hard and freq response may be lacking. If a decent pair of 4" speakers are fitted into the front doors and complemented by a nice subwoofer in the rear, I guess it could do very well if its tuned properly.

Oneheadlight - actually many many modern amps are able to be bridged into 2 ohms. Its 1 ohm that you have only a few high end brands that are able to do it.

I think the "subwoofers" under the seat wouldnt go that low. My own assumption is that, as you suggested, to complement the Mids (4") and the tweets. Owners should attempt to check the crossover point to confirm. It could be part of a 3 way setup, which is getting more popular now.
A 10" at least sub should be still installed to play the sub-bass freq.

True..many amps are able to bridge into 2ohms.... but budget ones are unlikely to be stable at 2ohms.

Motofish, if you havent got your amp for your sub yet... go for a mono-amp, preferably class AB ones but class D should suffice. BUt, be careful not to let the sub drown your fronts...

You are gonna cut your door ? how are the HDs gonna be fitted ?

Cut the door, no. I am also alergic to rattles. I am not sure if HD will fit the exisiting space, if its too big, I will select for model/brands. I will also follow good advise from the forum - stay with the car while they do the install even if it mean taking one day leave. I want to know what the guys are doing with my car.

Amp selection, at this point in time, I was recommend Blaunpunkt 4X75 amp, probably becos he knew I am no audiophile. Will consider mono-amp (budget and space). Music clarity and good vocal are more important to me than BIG bass.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ww88atcom
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back