AutoInc SKC 2012 - Supercar Club Feature Race (19 August 2012)

Re: AutoInc SKC 2012 - Supercar Club Feature Race (19 August 2012)

Hi guys, a couple friends pointed me to this thread because of recent chatter and I'd like to clarify a few things. Don't mean to OT this thread and it would be good to have a separate topic in the track section, but since the Supercar race is long over, with discussion of results and events more or less concluded, I suppose it is ok to digress a little.

Like a poster earlier mentioned, a very good indication if you like karting is to do the rental karts at Kartright. If you can't stand the heat, vibration, bumps, track type, then forget about it. If you like the challenge of dropping time and driving the edge, to the point that all other minor problems don't even matter, then it is almost certain that race karting is for you and you can move on to racekart testing / rental.

The exceptions to previous para. are if you are unusually tall or short, or unusually skinny or fat. In those cases the only way to get a proper indication is to get a kart properly fit to you. To do it properly will cost around 200 - 700 SGD depending on whether you need a new properly sized seat, pedal back or forward extensions, steering extensions, etc. It is fairly labour intensive to properly fit a kart to an unusually sized person and taking shortcuts will only end up completely spoiling the driving experience, so there's no point testing half assedly.

The thing about test drives in any top level racekart is that while it will give you a much better idea of the intensity of it all, it'll still be very far from the real settled-in experience (consistently within 3% of class record). Kartright is especially challenging because of its layout. The nature of the local track and the kart all add up to a very steep learning curve to get within 1 - 2 % of class record consistently. The curve is much steeper than any supercar roadcar, touring or GT racecar. It is much closer to a F3 level in actual quantities (not joking), exceeding F3 in many areas (derivative of lat accel, yaw rates, lat accel frequency, steering sensitivity (on a global scale second only to F1).

It usually takes some of the best sportscar drivers about 4 - 6 sessions spread across 4 weeks to get really settled in and start feeling at one with the kart, and have enjoyment levels go way higher. The first 2 - 3 sessions are always a struggle for any new karter. I've brought some top local endurance GT racecar drivers, touring car drivers, time attack winners to try race karting and even they struggle because the G loads are are some 70 - 200% higher than what they are used to, occurring at frequencies over 200% higher.

A more typical sport driver who has less intuition, less feel, will take easily 2 - 4 times the duration vs a sharp racecar driver, to get very comfortable and fast in a racekart.

If you test a top level kart, properly fit to you, the cost per session is going to be at least 150 SGD for a physically unprepared driver. If you intend to do a long term 1-2 month weekly sessions to get into the groove and get a very good idea before committing to race karting, be prepared to spend that amount at a minimum. If you have a friend who is willing to let you wear down their kart for free, great. They can lend you all the safety gear too, which if you purchase will come out to around 2K.

If you can't find a racekart to test long term, or think that the time and money is too much to burn just renting, then you will have to take a risk and move quicker into owning one instead.

Tanzy don't be a puss :D

You've never heard of injury at Sepang? There's been a few in races. At trackdays less common as usually the car takes all the damage. Still costs alot though.. 30K, 100K, even for some very minor damage.

At least locally in the last 2 years, there have been no deaths in race karting, no broken bones, no torn ligaments. Maybe some light bruising only. Gear up right, drive smart, things will be fine.

On the topic of hardware, all the top brands are Italian. The top Italian and even non Italian brands are all capable of winning world championships. It is mainly the other components that end up causing wins though - how hard each company wants to push their raceteam, how big the team is (visibility, odds of winning or taking top spots), how much money they have or can get from sponsors, whether they are earning money or just content to burn money (various reasons, legal, illegal, pure ego) how they select drivers (buy the best ones, or charge lesser ones with potential and train them up), technical staff, logistics, etc.

Important to consider that only ~20-30% of racekarters are within 1.5% of class record. If you go beyond the racing population to all karters who drive racekarts (but who don't necessarily race), then only 5% or less are within 1.5% of class record. If you add 20 lap consistency while holding within 1.5% of class record, you have a sharp drop to perhaps 2% of karter population, or less. So the hardware is the last thing to let a driver down in karting. It is usually lack of driver fitness, lack of skill, bad setup by the team, or mechanical problems caused by improper assembly and maintenance, etc. (also by the team). So then the logical thing to do is to pick the kart you buy, based on the team supporting it, and not necessarily the brand of the kart. The kart brand is actually low on the list, as long as it is roughly a top 10 - 15 brand internationally.

That being said Zanardi is 2011 Dual World Champion - CIK-FIA KF1 and U18 2011
As well as CIK-FIA World Karting Constructors' Champion (Champion du Monde CIK-FIA 2011 des Marques de Karting). https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.392428440774023.109665.118476308169239&type=1&l=8a0e58e127

In karts the overwhelming factor is driver fitness and skill, distant second and third are chassis setup, engine. It's not like in cars where you can have 100kg difference in driven weight, 20hp difference, big tracks, huge draft effect and just walk on by competitors for relatively easy passes. In karts especially the local tracks you really have to fight for every inch literally. The good thing is that if you're good in karts, then any trackcar, touring or GT racecar becomes slow motion easy peasy... like cruising in a Lexus.

To stay progressive, it really helps to kart with friends, encourage each other, share tips, run lead follow, video, trade data. Also good is when among the company directors and full time staff, there are actual engineers (mechanical, race and data, as well as electrical) with experience in pro motorsport, and who apply the same standards to karting. Veritas Racing is proud to be built on a foundation like this. It is very different from outsourcing just about everything to foreigners, and focusing on marketing, politics. There are too many pure businessmen and politicians ruining racing.

It makes no sense to be alone, in a completely different age group, bunched with strangers who are selfish racers (not all racers are selfish) looking out almost purely for their own interests - realizing the image whipped up by fancy media and constant spin was nothing but a facade that money bought, not born of passion, just business/ego.

Every team will say they are the best if you ask them. Veritas Racing is happy to have a bunch of good friends having fun and learning together, growing organically, doing things professionally regardless of scale. Some friends from this forum alone you might know and who we're proud to count as team mates:

Ryan (BMWsg forum owner and quickest road reg M car and Lambo in SG and MY around Sepang data backed and competition proven)
Ken (M club and Kartright all time Master class lap record holder 32.23 achieved with front brakes removed and a year old KF2, 1st place SKC round 1 2012)
Kelvin (tech pro and quick karter)
Lung (President of Ferrari owners' club Singapore and quickest road reg 458 around Sepang data backed)
Carrie (1 out of 2 female drivers on the team, 2 master class 4ths in national series races in consecutive weekends, beating many much more experienced male drivers, in the burning sun and in torrential rain. Accomplished in 4 months from starting fresh in karting)
Jeremy (quickest road reg Lambo around Sepang recorded in official competition)
Jason Lee (very fit and determined driver, WSK 2011 podium in Senior class in 2nd ever race)
Arthur Lo (quickest sub 700hp GTR on semi slicks at Sepang on record, quickest in ZTH TTA history)
Jun Wei (one of the quickest Singaporean evo drivers at Sepang)
Kuvesh (one of the quickest Singaporean evo drivers at Sepang)
Vincent (all around nice guy, really detailed and hardworking)
Desmond (sport driver and first year in the MME)
Harold (well, his sons, Kyan and Tyler, adorable little boys first few months in karting)
Shaun (armchair driver, keyboard warrior)

So come on and let's go karting :D I'm looking at you Jaskin, Clarence, Tanzy, Geoff....

Last edited by a moderator:

And yes if you kart 4 times a month, you'll end up spending ~1300 SGD a month. If you weigh more like around 100kg, it'll go up to ~1600 SGD a month. It helps if you're small and light :D

If you race in the local 5 round championship, including increased levels of practice, spares, etc. you'll spend at least 30K p.a. and that's really the most basic budget racing.

If you go mid level spares, good amounts of practice, good crew, it'll go to 60K p.a.

Top level tuner hardware, tons of spares, european fly in crew or personal mechanic full time who follows you to all your races regardless of where, all tuner engines flown in and out every race, rebuilt overseas, you're up around 90K p.a.

If you add another 5 rounds of Asian championship, or another 5 rounds of RMC in Malaysia.. wow.

IMO though, where it's really about driver is RMC...and it leads to world finals which is a Fing big deal to any hardcore driver/karter. Cheapest of the series' too. If you want to minimize the influence of money and focus on seeing where you truly stand as a driver, RMC is it.

challenge... accepted?

can practice at home w GT5... quite realistic. if u can get gold for every kart race then u r da boss lol

Find the GT5 kart dynamics unrealistic. Find the car dynamics are much more realistic. Have tried iRacing on a nicely speced system, Fanatec, etc. found it not much better than GT5, and very unrealistic at high steer angles.. maybe it was the calibration.

Simulators are ok except that they are missing two major things - G forces, and true penalty (injury and $), which make up a big part of driving in real life.

Shaun, thanks for the abundant information you shared. They are very helpful, if not a bit intimidating. When i asked that innocent question on karting, i was never thinking along such a serious thread. I had images of naughty and playful fun when i last did my first karting at Jurong 10 years ago in a crappy shitbox that threatened to loose a wheel or two if u brake too hard and loosing u your deposit. My idea of fun then was spinning around, which is strictly not advisable apparently with those serious karts. The picture i have now after reading all the above is that of damaged chassis, exploding engine, and flying body parts. Ok, the last part i added it. I am fairly sure i can write better than i can drive, so competition is prob not on the menu for me. Money is not the main concern cos like Ryan said, it's still considerably less than the depreciation on our M cars. As a father of 2 and the sole bread winner in the family, I tend to weigh my mortality a little differently these days. I am still keen, it's just that i need to consider it with a new perspective now that i know a little more. Damn...u guys seem to be having too much fun...

Shaun;883889 said:
Simulators are ok except that they are missing two major things - G forces, and true penalty (injury and $), which make up a big part of driving in real life.

agree they also allow one to makan chips n lim kopi n pause to go pangsai, none of which real life driving allows in middle of a 10 lap race in nordschleife LOL

golfgti;883882 said:
can practice at home w GT5... quite realistic. if u can get gold for every kart race then u r da boss lol
looks like i am da boss. *jk* But yea... no matter how hardcore a home setup, cannot replicate the feeling of driving irl. esp that feeling of oh no, i gonna crash! I wish fun karting in SG was more affordable and gave faster karts than those rentals... The old kart track in JB was fun.

clar;884195 said:
Shaun, thanks for the abundant information you shared. They are very helpful, if not a bit intimidating. When i asked that innocent question on karting, i was never thinking along such a serious thread. I had images of naughty and playful fun when i last did my first karting at Jurong 10 years ago in a crappy shitbox that threatened to loose a wheel or two if u brake too hard and loosing u your deposit. My idea of fun then was spinning around, which is strictly not advisable apparently with those serious karts. The picture i have now after reading all the above is that of damaged chassis, exploding engine, and flying body parts. Ok, the last part i added it. I am fairly sure i can write better than i can drive, so competition is prob not on the menu for me. Money is not the main concern cos like Ryan said, it's still considerably less than the depreciation on our M cars. As a father of 2 and the sole bread winner in the family, I tend to weigh my mortality a little differently these days. I am still keen, it's just that i need to consider it with a new perspective now that i know a little more. Damn...u guys seem to be having too much fun...

Hi Clarence, that's cool - taking a much more relaxed approach to karting is very easy and much cheaper to do. There are only 7 karters on our team who race regularly. There are another 5 who are capable of racing but who do not race and just kart for fun. There are about 10++ who would not be competitive at all if they raced right now, who don't seriously develop themselves to get race ready, just all for fun and sporadically.

Relaxed approach opens up a whole range of less powerful engines, older or slower chassis, tires, etc. up. Also there are many more service providers who can run a kart for fun and for cheap. Though you don't want to end up wasting time waiting around for repairs, losing drive time, etc. Time is expensive. At a minimum you want maximum seat time without interruption in a consistent and mechanically sound kart.

The thing is guys being guys usually want to be competitive or not do it at all. Many think it's for fun but then get sucked in to the hardcore side of it...so be careful :D

Not sure where you get the damaged chassis, exploding engine part from. Just like tracking cars at Sepang is definitely not about rolling the car is gravel and totalling it, or catching fire and burning to the ground, though it does happen rarely. Regardless of sport, you can't 100% eliminate accidents. In karting or car driving, if a driver drives smart, has a good crew and a properly maintained vehicle, it is easy to stay out of trouble. Almost 100% of all incidents are caused by driver error (misjudgement, pushing too hard too fast cos of ego, or even hate towards competitor), risk taking (deciding to go close wheel to wheel with an erratic reckless driver, or an unknown driver). It's up to the driver to control vehicle and control the situations he gets himself into.

Mockngbrd;884237 said:
looks like i am da boss. *jk* But yea... no matter how hardcore a home setup, cannot replicate the feeling of driving irl. esp that feeling of oh no, i gonna crash! I wish fun karting in SG was more affordable and gave faster karts than those rentals... The old kart track in JB was fun.

I liked the old JB track... too bad they moved to that oil palm plantation in the middle of nowhere!

jaskin;884253 said:
I liked the old JB track... too bad they moved to that oil palm plantation in the middle of nowhere!
Yea.... get to choose different level of kart also

Karting cheaply is very possible in Singapore, but with a few conditions. You must:

1) be willing to accept laptimes that are ~6% off the pace from most of the other $$ karts on track. Also accept that you'll never race and be competitive
2) have at least one other friend (more is better) who karts with you. Both of you must be physically fit, and must have very sound mechanical basics.
3) invest in around 1K worth of hand tools
4) own or have access to a small commercial vehicle. Have access to at least a 150 sq ft workspace to store and work on the kart.

By matching schedules and karting with mechanically sound, hands on, hardworking group of friends, storing, transporting and maintain your own kart, running lower power longer rebuild interval engines, sharing the kart (friends same height and weight roughly), it is possible to run your own very fun and still fast kart (way higher performance and driver-taxing than any GT3 or GT2 racecar) for low cost, probably ~500 dollars per driver per month.

The biggest challenge will be finding a solid group who can match schedules. It costs a lot of time, a lot of hard work, a lot of attention to detail required. Most don't love driving or tech enough to put themselves through that. It is however the best way to learn about setup, improves you as a driver, and is a true grassroot motorsport experience the way it started out decades ago in all currently established industries (UK, EU, US, AU). It is a very pure motorsport experience. It is not the political, poser image projection, marketing hype, sponsor game, F1 glam kind of 'motorsport' that many would say is a perversion of it. You should not need a ton of money to go racing. You do not need to race to figure out where you stand in terms of being an efficient driver. Most race drivers are far from efficient drivers on a solo clean lap. To put racecraft ahead of basics is wrong.

Repeating something posted long ago..

Ayrton Senna was asked just 2 months before his death in 1994 and after a few years in F1 and having won F3 and multiple F1 championships, “Who is or has been the driver you got the most satisfaction of racing against...past or present?” He replied, "I would have to go back to '78, '79 when I was go kart driving. I came to Europe for the first time to compete outside Brazil, as team mate to Fullerton; Terry Fullerton. He was very experienced and I enjoyed very much driving with him because he was fast, he was consistent. He was, for me, a very complete driver. And it was pure driving, pure racing. There wasn't any politics then - no money involved either. That was real racing. I have that as a very good memory."

i hate LH..but i love this video

[video=youtube;xDgpS4kx88s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDgpS4kx88s[/video]

[video=youtube;KXMwdY_f3t4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXMwdY_f3t4&feature=related[/video]

Ayrton Senna karting! this is some rare footage!

towards the end is Senna vs Prost karting...!

clar;884195 said:

My 8 year old son does it.... I think it's not about that. It's just whether you can physically take it. If you drive sensibly then you will be fine. Same goes for how you drive on the public roads or drive at sepang. If you drive stupidly, you can kill yourself along orchard road.

And having the right guys behind you technically is brilliant. I just dump my son with Shaun and know everything will be sorted. Best is knowing he will be a better driver than me when he first gets his license. Total peace of mind when he hits the streets as he won't have road rage or be competitive or stupid on public roads.

harold996tt;884909 said:
My 8 year old son does it.... I think it's not about that. It's just whether you can physically take it. If you drive sensibly then you will be fine. Same goes for how you drive on the public roads or drive at sepang. If you drive stupidly, you can kill yourself along orchard road.

And having the right guys behind you technically is brilliant. I just dump my son with Shaun and know everything will be sorted. Best is knowing he will be a better driver than me when he first gets his license. Total peace of mind when he hits the streets as he won't have road rage or be competitive or stupid on public roads.

im going to teach kyan all the bad things.....make sure he turns out worse than the dad..muahaha

totoseow;885048 said:
im going to teach kyan all the bad things.....make sure he turns out worse than the dad..muahaha

Hahaha with you teaching I fear he will definitely turn out worse.... If that is even possible!!

harold996tt;884909 said:
If you drive sensibly then you will be fine. Same goes for how you drive on the public roads or drive at sepang. If you drive stupidly, you can kill yourself along orchard road.

Exactamundo!

BTW, I want to pinch Kyan's cheeks and never let go. Same goes for Jeremy's (sometimes).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lokhung247net
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back