BMW Performance Intake

Re: BMW Performance Intake

bro, can pm me price for the US version + installation pls. thanks

I'm keen to know if the Performance Intake offers significant advantages compared to stock intake with a K&N filter already installed.

Engineering details are beyond me, so I usually don't bother with them. But because we can't actually try out how well a Performance Intake actually performs in a real car, technical differences are all we have to go by.

1. The front intake channel fits directly to the airbox, whereas the stock version connects to the air box via rubber hosing. Perhaps the accordion-like surface of the rubber hosing might disrupt air flow, so the direct connection of the Performance Intake probably allows smoother passage of air.

2. The Performance Intake also features an "air guide", which is a second inlet taking in air via an opening at the top of the hood. I popped my hood to check and the inlet is really tiny; can't be much more than 3 cm2. So why is it there? Obviously, it cannot let in huge volumes of air, so it must have a different function. My guess is the "air guide" is strategically positioned at the rear end of the intake to allow air (somehow) to flow more freely inward from the main front inlets. Perhaps someone with knowledge of convection in air ducts and vents could shed light?

Other than these enhancements, the stock air box which houses the filter is re-used, except that a new lid is provided which allows the air box to connect directly to the new air guide and new intake channel.

Probably, BMW has done careful research and won't sell all these parts at such a high price if there is no worthwhile increase in throttle response & power. But has anyone tried in reality?

Thank you, bro Wil, for sharing the pictures of the Performance Intake, for both European and US version.

Also, thank you, bro dsdfan, for sharing your experience and your analysis on the difference between stock and installed version of the air intake.

These information has given me better understandings for my consideration in future mod.

hi. went down last weekday to view (diagram) at the intake for my 1er, the intake is of different design compare to the 3er. on the surface look almost the same but inside the box it use open pod like gurppe m. unlike the 3er which the normal drop it type. when i ask how much is the replacement cost for the open pot, they dont have pricing yet.

Hello Daniel,

By open pod intake, do you mean the Performance Intake for 1er has an exposed filter like in the Gruppe M Intake, and not enclosed in an air box?

Interesting, as the sound would be quite impressive.

Daniel Tan;443151 said:
hi. went down last weekday to view (diagram) at the intake for my 1er, the intake is of different design compare to the 3er. on the surface look almost the same but inside the box it use open pod like gurppe m. unlike the 3er which the normal drop it type. when i ask how much is the replacement cost for the open pot, they dont have pricing yet.

If you look at the air filter (in the stock airbox)
For the FL e46 318 - (Similar engine to the current e90 320)

It's not a box panel filter.
It's sort of cone shaped as well, similar to the k&n/gruppe-m cones.

niteblu;443361 said:
If you look at the air filter (in the stock airbox)
For the FL e46 318 - (Similar engine to the current e90 320)

It's not a box panel filter.
It's sort of cone shaped as well, similar to the k&n/gruppe-m cones.

You are so right again!!!

It's like this...

All E90 323, 325, 330 have this stock intake airbox in their cars here in S'pore!

attachment.php

So they'll have to use the cone type filters.

K&N vs Stock Paper filter.

attachment.php

'The Great White'

dsdfan;442787 said:
I'm keen to know if the Performance Intake offers significant advantages compared to stock intake with a K&N filter already installed.

Engineering details are beyond me, so I don't bother with them. But because we can't actually try out how well a Performance Intake actually performs in a real car, technical differences are all we have to go by.

1. The front part of the Performance system: the intake channel, has a deeper shape than the narrower stock version, which I assume allows air to flow in more freely. The Carbon Fibre top is merely decorative. The intake channel itself is plastic, like the stock version

2. This intake channel also fits directly to the airbox, whereas the stock version connects to the air box via rubber hosing. Perhaps the accordion-like surface of the rubber hosing might disrupt air flow, so the direct connection of the Performance Intake probably allows smoother passage of air.

3. The Performance Intake also features an "air guide", which is a second inlet taking in air via an opening at the top of the hood. I popped my hood to check and the inlet is really tiny; can't be much more than 3 cm2. So why is it there? Obviously, it cannot let in huge volumes of air, so it must have a different function. My guess is the "air guide" is strategically positioned at the rear end of the intake to allow air (somehow) to flow more freely inward from the main front inlets. Perhaps someone with knowledge of convection in air ducts and vents could shed light?

Other than these enhancements, the stock air box which houses the filter is re-used, except that a new lid is provided which allows the air box to connect directly to the new air guide and new intake channel.

Probably, BMW has done careful research and won't sell all these parts at such a high price if there is no worthwhile increase in throttle response & power. But has anyone tried in reality?

I've just came back from PML for dropping my car off for service. While I was there, I've dropped by the parts department for their recent promotional sales on these Performance Accessories (ends on 21st June 2009). For the Performance Intake, the promotional price is S$1,475.53 (inclusive of parts, installation, and GST). (Originally, S$2,000+)

As per described by the parts department personnel, the package includes all the things that bro dsdfan has describe, plus change of air filter from the stock paper air filter to some form of special air filter (trying to ask for more details, but the personnel cannot describe/reveal it).

Overall, 25% more air will be intake, compare with the stock setup, as per described, which will also create a deeper engine sound, especially during higher rpm.

jonsuta;443476 said:
I've just came back from PML for dropping my car off for service. While I was there, I've dropped by the parts department for their recent promotional sales on these Performance Accessories (ends on 21st June 2009). For the Performance Intake, the promotional price is S$1,475.53 (inclusive of parts, installation, and GST). (Originally, S$2,000+)

As per described by the parts department personnel, the package includes all the things that bro dsdfan has describe, plus change of air filter from the stock paper air filter to some form of special air filter (trying to ask for more details, but the personnel cannot describe/reveal it).

Overall, 25% more air will be intake, compare with the stock setup, as per described, which will also create a deeper engine sound, especially during higher rpm.

According to BMW's 2009 Performance parts catalog, their performance intakes do not support the N54 engines. Yet, this month's BMW Car magazine (page 10) mentioned something about a new performance intake for all 6 cylinder models bar the 335i. It also mentioned that support for 335i is upcoming. The last sentence also mentioned that the gain is 20bhp!!! This is exciting stuff!

I am a fan of their performance parts, but the way information is disseminated between BMW and their dealers needs some more work.

jonsuta;443476 said:

This is what PML is selling.

Only 4 parts in the kit.

IntakeEuro.jpg

'The Great White'

clar;443611 said:
The last sentence also mentioned that the gain is 20bhp!!! This is exciting stuff!

THAT I'd love to see.

performance intake allow 25% more air = :thumbsup:
aftermarket intake allow 25% more air = questionable in term of damaging the engine ?
assuming the quality of the air filter is as good as performance intake
the only way to allow more air in is to have a better air filtration = bigger hole in the air filter, right ?

jonsuta;443476 said:

just to share there's also a Simota intake for the N52 engines. not sure if available locally.

SIMOTACFIIINTAKE-Web-1300.jpg

That "win" flag on the page which compares the 2 intakes makes me lol....marketing bs.

Has anybody bought and change it by themselves or does it need to be done at the shop?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
45678dev
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back