BMW Portable Naviagation system

Re: BMW Portable Naviagation system

For a novice, especially for maps by Malaysia & Singapore Free GPS Map Project • Index page

Step 1: Download the latest update (for Garmin Nuvi models)
Step 2: READ the instructions to download and DO IT (full stop).

For malsingmaps.com.. this one they have proper instructions. Just read properly what to do and if need be get their help. Currently malsingmaps are more updated - but their free map also need an unlock code based on your unit's serial number.

Frankly, both don't need a Rocket science degree. For those who are not that computer savvy please ask your family members even a teenager may be your best hope. Else... as mentioned previously... some members did go to perhaps East gear or something like that give some $$ to get it done.

biggio;453562 said:
What sort of work has to be done to the free update before it can be used on BMW Garmin?

Hmmm.... who said only PML people got no brains huh? :thinking:

Ah Lian, you certainly brought yourself down to a level to communicate with ........... no offence just felt this is so funny and it came around a full circle like a boomerang :lol2:

Hi Ah Lian... thanks for confirming that we can DIY the map upgrade..

Anyway would like to provide feedback on the service I got from PML... Got my car for 2 months and the following problems pop up...

1) Left Indicator light fail to work triggering the alarm everytime it is activated
2) Right window produce screeching sound when i wind it down
3) GPS did not work well with Audio system and create hissing sound when used
4) Door was not performing like a traditional BMW car.

Work duration: 2 days
No 1-series available so they provided the replacement car (Toyota Camry) from Hertz (Next door to PML at Alex)

Just got the car back today and they managed to resolve all the problems. Only issue is that the SE kept promising to call me back to arrange for the repair work but never did. On the whole, I was not impress but at least they got the job done within the duration they promise.

PML is still a long way to Matching the service level provided by the Lexus team. My Lexus friends can keep their bragging rights for now.

You are so right regarding their service level!!!

Guess we all have to leave with it, at least till we decide to change car.

BTW, I managed to resolve the GPS problem that PML was not technically equipped to resolved.....

Hi Baggio... Where did you do your own upgrade? from the garmin singapore link? I was not able to locate the model NUVI 710 in that website. Looking at the comments from this thread, someone actually installed the upgrade for 765 and it crashed the system... Dun want to make the same mistake.. can you share some info on this.. thanks..

Soonster;454263 said:
Hi Baggio... Where did you do your own upgrade? from the garmin singapore link? I was not able to locate the model NUVI 710 in that website. Looking at the comments from this thread, someone actually installed the upgrade for 765 and it crashed the system... Dun want to make the same mistake.. can you share some info on this.. thanks..

Hahaha... I was the one who did that.

hahaha... My apologizes... What are the odds... Anyway now I know who I can turn to if this were to happen to me... how did you manage to solve this problem?

Soonster;454551 said:
hahaha... My apologizes... What are the odds... Anyway now I know who I can turn to if this were to happen to me... how did you manage to solve this problem?

There is a free map update for Garmin in singmalmap website. One is for 765, the other should be generic. There are 2 kinds of Garmin set. 1 Europe and 1 Asian. If you cannot get your unlock code from Garmin, then yours is a Europe code. There will be another link to get the unlock code for Europe version. Download the Generic map update, together with the .unl file (open with notepad and change the code to your unlock code). You can choose to copy the map file (.img) and .unl to either ur internal memory or sd card.

Frankly, I have so many Garmin Nuvi's - even with the BMW Garmin that came with my ride. Never had your kind of problem.

So long as no itchy finger: there is such thing as follow proper instructions.

If one is less familar, then use the malfreemaps - that does not need to do unlocking.

I believe your saving grace and your best bet is (reminder) to get a teenager to do it for you! Even my little brother does help me to update mine! No issue! Child's play, lah!:dance: (Key success factor is that the teenager has several ipod or ipod type of system - your Garmin Nuvi is actually one big ipod shuffle with the addition of a gps chip that's all - no need rocket scientist... lah.. (full stop).

biggio;454718 said:
There is a free map update for Garmin in singmalmap website. One is for 765, the other should be generic. There are 2 kinds of Garmin set. 1 Europe and 1 Asian. If you cannot get your unlock code from Garmin, then yours is a Europe code. There will be another link to get the unlock code for Europe version. Download the Generic map update, together with the .unl file (open with notepad and change the code to your unlock code). You can choose to copy the map file (.img) and .unl to either ur internal memory or sd card.

Apologies for bumping a 3 year old thread, I bought a pre-owned E90 LCI with this garmin unit, but realized I'm facing the hissing issue. As car is no longer under warrenty and I do not wish to be carroted by PML, any place I can go to rectify this problem?

cheapest is turn off the gps sound guiding :D
i normally turn off voice which is irritating ... just look at the screen ok liao
btw, my gps hissing sound is solved by pml thru software upgrade. i was told need to change minor components in the HU which cause the GPS hissing sound

bigjer;921014 said:
Apologies for bumping a 3 year old thread, I bought a pre-owned E90 LCI with this garmin unit, but realized I'm facing the hissing issue. As car is no longer under warrenty and I do not wish to be carroted by PML, any place I can go to rectify this problem?

Thanks for this mate.. wah looks like a bopian situation, don't think vendors will be able to solve either. Either live with it, turn off sound, or park car at PML for two days..

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
77ballcomco

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back