Buying 2nd hand BMW

Re: Buying 2nd hand BMW

davidaxltay;1115035 said:
Getting my pre-owned 525 soon .... Cannot wait. :dance:

Congrats man! I have a used 525 too. Can't afford spanking new but this has been the love of my life.. and I am thankful:)

Buying a second hand BMW is a risk you have to consider. Because BMW after 7 years are prone to alot of problems.

davidaxltay;1115197 said:
Agree. I believe every car has its issues too

don't worry la since buy already. just prepare some money for repair lor. confirm need to repair or change some old parts. now about 3 months in driving my 2008 520i, no major problem. i repaired some stuff (linkages, gasket , brake pad, hoses). other than these, so far so good.

I bought a 2nd hand 2008 E60 523i recently and it didn't come with a spare rim/tire. Seller said the car originally came with run flat tires but they had been replaced with normal ones since.

Any of you enthusiasts faced the same issue? Where can I buy a spare rim/tire that is light and thin, sufficient to carry the car to the nearest workshop?

@davidaxltay hmm I never thot of that, but it won't help when I m stranded with a flat on a highway ya? Even if I m an AA member.

I think the kit is quite easy to use and use the air pump to pump it up. I dunno but that was the advice given by other bros. [emoji4][emoji4]

Thanks bro! Great advice. I shall drop the idea of a spare and save carrying the extra weight. :)

absalom;1116013 said:
don't worry la since buy already. just prepare some money for repair lor. confirm need to repair or change some old parts. now about 3 months in driving my 2008 520i, no major problem. i repaired some stuff (linkages, gasket , brake pad, hoses). other than these, so far so good.

I just got a 5 years old 525i just hit 80k a after 2 months of driving. Really enjoy driving it. So far had replaced

1. Wiper water pump
2. ATF
3. Lower arm

Last edited by a moderator:

Messiah;1116039 said:
I just got a 5 years old 525i just hit 80k a after 2 months of driving. Really enjoy driving it. So far had replaced

1. Wiper water pump
2. ATF
3. Lower arm

Why did you replace ATF? gearbox was jerking or what?

davidaxltay;1116028 said:
I think the kit is quite easy to use and use the air pump to pump it up. I dunno but that was the advice given by other bros. [emoji4][emoji4]

i have used a small foot pump (manual pump, those used to inflate football or bicycle tyres) to inflate my tyre before. it takes a while of pumping but it works, enough to get to the tyre shop. a tyre repair kit is good but you might still have to remove the tyre? i keep a can of "fix a flat" in my trunk, and the manual pump :)

absalom;1116056 said:
Why did you replace ATF? gearbox was jerking or what?

Hi absalom,

It wasn't jerking just that I felt that the gear change wasnt that smooth.

After the changed I can feel the silky gear change.

Will change the pan and ATF on the next 40,000km.

I trying to make my 5 years old car more enjoyable to drive.

What's your mileage ?

Messiah;1116063 said:
Hi absalom,

What's your mileage ?

any bros ever kana transmission failure? Was it a case of overhaul or just a change in valve body. Symptoms are gear change not smooth and hesitation.

Messiah;1116063 said:
Hi absalom,

What's your mileage ?

i normally wouldn't touch the tranny unless it's really jerking badly - but that's just me :)
100k mileage. Not bad, quite low mileage actually

hamburger;1116101 said:
any bros ever kana transmission failure? Was it a case of overhaul or just a change in valve body. Symptoms are gear change not smooth and hesitation.

normally it's the valve body or transmission control unit or mechatronics. i had it changed for my previous car (audi).

absalom;1116114 said:
normally it's the valve body or transmission control unit or mechatronics. i had it changed for my previous car (audi).

thanks for the heads up. Shall update more info in due time...:nehnehhh:

need enlightenment here...

are we getting the N52 or N53 engine here? Read that N53 are not used in boleh land due to high sulphur content.

is the difference identified by the design of engine cover?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8823

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back