Buying 2nd hand BMW

Re: Buying 2nd hand BMW

valrossi;1078665 said:
Even those high mileage bimmer? Like that how to buy 2nd hand

IMO high mileage bmws are safer to buy than tampered ones because this shows alot about the integrity of the used car dealers. However there are some that have genuinely low mileage usually for the higher end models ie 650i 760i M3GTS. What you can do is to check signs of wear and tear then you can roughly judge how "used" the car is ie. dropping roof lining, peeling interior trimmings and worn out leather seats.

Rule of thumb is never to look at the mileage stated. After doing surface checks, send it to STA/Vicomm or perhaps a workshop of your own for thorough inspection of the internals. By then you should be able to determine whether the condition of the car is acceptable to you based on the price you are paying for it. This is so far the best way to lower your chances of getting a lemon car. However i have one or two friends that went through this process and their car end up still got problem, so end up its a heng suay kinda of thing.

Do also allocate 5-10k for repairs if you buy a used bmw even after a thorough evaluation.

Like some bro said it, used car bound more or less to have some issues so repairs is normal.

Bmw in particular has more wear and tear esp once out of warranty.

10 K may not be enough if you kena gear box problem, which is the most sticky case for old intercontinental car.

My car more than 10k liao. . . . .
No choice , want enjoy driving must pay some more if you unable to afford new bmw.

TUV2008;1079441 said:
10 K may not be enough if you kena gear box problem, which is the most sticky case for old intercontinental car.

I kenna all the problems that can kenna, spent more than 10k progressively last two years on repairs alone

High mileage may not be bad. I will actually avoid suspiciously low mileage old BMWs.

If the mileage is genuinely high, like 130-150k for a 7-8 yr old car, chances is the car might be more mechanically sound than a 60-70k for the same age. It might have driven long highway miles (good for the engine) vs. sitting in start-stop traffic. It would have also had most wear-and-tear repaired. In fact at 6-8 years old, almost every little bit of the car would start to fail... seals lah, aircon lah, etc. If there's proof of repair... you got a good buy.

Buying 2nd hand cars need a bit of luck plus you have to see the previous owner. If the previous owner is a car lover & upkeep his car, even with high mileage it is a more worthy buy.. Mileage is just a part of the car but maintenance, repair & upkeep is more imp. I have seen cars with low mileage but the owner does not take care of his ride, in the end the car will have more problem. BMW is a car need to be wrack & drive frequently, you dun drive much there is a higher chance of part going to spoilt..

But there are really low mileage cars whereby its the family's 2nd or even 3rd car - As they say - those that aunties drive just to go to the market

Anyone who buys my F10 yaM5 is destined for problem free ownership. I say one

desmond_seow;1079460 said:
But there are really low mileage cars whereby its the family's 2nd or even 3rd car - As they say - those that aunties drive just to go to the market

If it's really a go to market car, I won't buy.

1. It's driven short distances and is bad for engine.

2. It's confirm full of pests and stinks from all the durian and fish.

3. It's got some leftover juices from the aunty's night out with her toyboys

Hahaha I was expecting someone to say this. Auntie probably also wouldn't care less about engine and overall maintenance.

TUV2008;1079446 said:
How old is your car?

5yo e90 when I first got it
Guess all 5-6 yo ar 100k mileage is where the bill maint / repair bills start

detach8;1079452 said:
High mileage may not be bad. I will actually avoid suspiciously low mileage old BMWs.

If the mileage is genuinely high, like 130-150k for a 7-8 yr old car, chances is the car might be more mechanically sound than a 60-70k for the same age. It might have driven long highway miles (good for the engine) vs. sitting in start-stop traffic. It would have also had most wear-and-tear repaired. In fact at 6-8 years old, almost every little bit of the car would start to fail... seals lah, aircon lah, etc. If there's proof of repair... you got a good buy.

Next time sell you my x1.... when its old...

Meek;1079524 said:
Next time sell you my x1.... when its old...

Writing a cheque NOW!!!

davidaxltay;1115035 said:
Getting my pre-owned 525 soon .... Cannot wait. :dance:

Congratulations!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member