COE Prediction

Re: COE Prediction

ipoh-horfun;653627 said:
Both BMW asia and Pi dealers think each other as yaya papaya, so all try under-cut each other...
but i still think PML charge really premium price.. maybe their cost v high ?

My PML F10 OMV = $42k
Additional Registration Fee(110% of OMV) = $46,200
Duty (20% of OMV) = $8400

Assuming my F10 523i selling in UK is 25616pounds(exclude tax) = S$51,133(Assume Cost for PML)
7% GST on CIF(Cost, Insurance, Freight) = 7%($51,133+$10,000(Insurance and Freight assumed)) = $4294

PML F10 523i Cost + Taxes = $51,133(BMW AG sold PML) + $10,000(Ins & Freight) + $4294(GST) + $8400(Duty) + $46,200(ARF) = $120,027.

How much PML retailing F10 523i? $231,800? Assuming this COE is $67,700 and no car to trade in, $231,800 - $120,027 - $67,700 = $44,073(Operation cost & Profits)

This is where their premium cost and profits $44,073 for every F10 523i PML sell. Note, this sum is assumed as close as possible ;)

uk.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason8822;653648 said:
$67,700 .......

whts the diff btw cat b and open cat if I am bidding thr F10?

CAR (1600CC & BELOW) & TAXI
$50,244

CAR (ABOVE 1600CC)
$67,700

OPEN
$65,490

COE break-out again!

Centurion9990;653667 said:
My PML F10 OMV = $42k
Additional Registration Fee(110% of OMV) = $46,200
Duty (20% of OMV) = $8400

Assuming my F10 523i selling in UK is 25616pounds(exclude tax) = S$51,133(Assume Cost for PML)
7% GST on CIF(Cost, Insurance, Freight) = 7%($51,133+$10,000(Insurance and Freight assumed)) = $4294

PML F10 523i Cost + Taxes = $51,133(BMW AG sold PML) + $10,000(Ins & Freight) + $4294(GST) + $8400(Duty) + $46,200(ARF) = $120,027.

How much PML retailing F10 523i? $231,800? Assuming this COE is $67,700 and no car to trade in, $231,800 - $120,027 - $67,700 = $44,073(Operation cost & Profits)

This is where their premium cost and profits $44,073 for every F10 523i PML sell. Note, this sum is assumed as close as possible ;)

uk.png

Yes, except for a few flaws that I can pick out:
1. PML's cars are usually spec'ed higher than base models so base price would be an incorrect assumption.

2. More importantly, PML's COGs, as an appointed distributor, have to be lower than your assumed cost based on UK selling price.

efftee;653679 said:
Yes, except for a few flaws that I can pick out:
1. PML's cars are usually spec'ed higher than base models so base price would be an incorrect assumption.

2. More importantly, PML's COGs, as an appointed distributor, have to be lower than your assumed cost based on UK selling price.

Then maybe you could recalculate with correct figures for the benefits of bros here :)

efftee;653625 said:
HK not part of BMW Asia meh?
HK is part of Asia. But PI will buy from their rep in UK or HK & re-export to Sg.

Edit: I juz found out that HK is not part of BMW Asia. By the way, BMW Asia is the sole importer of BMW vehicles on this island.

Centurion9990;653684 said:
Then maybe you could recalculate with correct figures for the benefits of bros here :)

Ah see, I doubt if even 1% of the staff at PML even know their COGs so any attempts at this would be speculative at best. Not sure what the trade mark-up is in the automotive industry but lets assume that like most other trades, it is 100%, ie if selling price was $10,000, COGs is $5,000.

By your example, we can add another SGD25,500 in (selling price = GBP25,616; COGs = GBP12,808 or SGD25,500) to the gross profit. Also, $10k for shipping/insurance is way high. I heard it's under $2k/car if they are sailing over in bulk but lets be safe and call it at $3k; that makes it +SGD32,500 to the GP.

So if you calculated SGD44,000, then adding on SGD32,500 make it a tidy SGD76,500 +/- a few K for specs variations and discounts, overtrades, etc. Is it about right? Well, I saved over $60K ($40K if you removed the overtrade) on a 535 ordered through a PI instead of PML.

Of course, please take this with a sack of salt; for all you know, this could be a whole load of :bullshit:

davidtch;653724 said:
HK is part of Asia. But PI will buy from their rep in UK or HK & re-export to Sg.

Edit: I juz found out that HK is not part of BMW Asia. By the way, BMW Asia is the sole importer of BMW vehicles on this island.

That would make sense. Otherwise, how could PIs get their cars from HK? If it's all under the BMW Asia roof, it'd be like getting their car from SG!

efftee;653736 said:
That would make sense. Otherwise, how could PIs get their cars from HK? If it's all under the BMW Asia roof, it'd be like getting their car from SG!
In UK & Germany, BMW dealers are not allow to sell directly to individuals from Sg for the purpose of Export.

etan1;653737 said:
The importer now BMW Asia, not PML....
I think BMW Asia has been THE importer for some yrs. Can't rem since when.

unless we know the BMW Asia ---> PML price, difficult to calculate their margins.

etan1;653740 said:
unless we know the BMW Asia ---> PML price, difficult to calculate their margins.
But we know BMW Asia + PML margin.

Anyway, i think BMW Asia takes lion share because they got company fleet BMW.

I configured a 320i similar to mine on the UK site, was GBP 30K before tax. (+ tax is 36K).

A lot of bros here bought the 320i recently at ~170K after discount/overtrade. So I think PML's profit is thereabouts.

detach8;653890 said:
I configured a 320i similar to mine on the UK site, was GBP 30K before tax. (+ tax is 36K).

A lot of bros here bought the 320i recently at ~170K after discount/overtrade. So I think PML's profit is thereabouts.
UK 320 use N43.

Sg 320 use N46

Not orange vs orange le.

How to break the illusion on used-car prices

By Christopher Tan

Second-hand car sales grow as certificate of entitlement (COE) quotas shrivel – that is the reality of Singapore's regulated car market.

In the first quarter of this year, 15,441 cars changed owners – more than double the number of new cars sold. At this rate, the number of used-car transactions this year is likely to hit a 10-year high.

The trend is expected to continue for another two years or so, before a sizeable cohort of cars registered between 2003 and 2007 start reaching 10 years of age from 2013.

Most of these cars will then be scrapped, reversing the downward spiral of COE supply witnessed from 2008.

From the numbers, it would seem that used cars are a viable alternative to new cars, whose prices have risen to levels beyond the reach of many salaried buyers.

For some new models, prices have practically doubled from five years ago. In that light, going second-hand seems logical.

But are used cars really good value? Yes, if their selling prices had not risen in tandem with new-car prices. That, of course, is wishful thinking.

LOOK CLOSER

Used car dealers are shrewd business people who will adjust their prices in line with new-car rates. In many cases, they overdo it and their products become quite unattractive.

Take the example of an 18-month-old, high-spec Lexus RX350 posted for sale early last month, with an asking price of about $176,000. If you compared that only to the price of the same model (new, of course) posted then by Borneo Motors, you might think that the used unit is a decent deal, being $64,000 cheaper than a new $240,000 RX350.

But if you looked closer, you would change your mind. The second-hand Lex was registered with a $16,801 COE.

The COE for the same car last month was $56,000. If you deduct the difference in COEs, the 11/2-year-old RX is merely $24,800 cheaper than a new one. Not so attractive now, right? Especially when you consider that the car was priced around $175,000 in 2009.

COE MATTERS

What has COE value got to do with anything? After all, the $16,801 premium is history.

Well, COE value has a bearing on the scrap value of your car.

If you decided to scrap your second-hand car, you would get about $8,400 for the remaining COE value. If you did the same with the new car, you would get a COE rebate of $28,000.

By conservative estimates, the 18-month-old RX should be $32,800 cheaper than the new car, after factoring in the difference in COE values.

Take another example: a three-year-old Chevrolet Captiva, advertised at $75,800 on the same portal. It was registered with a $17,113 COE. The latest Captiva is priced at $124,000, with a $56,000 COE. Difference in prices: $48,200. Difference in COE value: about $38,900.

After discounting the COE difference, the used Chevy SUV is just $9,300 cheaper. Hardly worth the trouble, especially when the new model comes with a host of improvements.

Now, you may say those used-car rates were probably just asking prices, and that you could probably bargain them down by a couple of thousand dollars. True. But you could also do the same for the new cars.

Having said that, used cars are still undeniably lighter on the pocket.

You just have to look hard to find them, and bargain even harder to bag a good deal.

WHAT MAKES USED CARS MORE POPULAR

For most consumer products, the more famous and coveted a brand is, the more sought after its used goods are.

It is more or less the same for second-hand cars, but there are more complex reasons for their popularity.

If you examine the top-10-selling makes in the used-car market in the first quarter, you will see that the list is more or less aligned with the long-term popularity of each brand.

Despite the growing acceptance of German marques in recent years, the Japanese ones still dominate the ranks of the secondary market. That is because Japanese cars have long been the preferred choice of motorists in Singapore.

Transactions of the best-selling used cars usually make up between 2.1 and 2.9 per cent of those for their respective populations (see table).

There are two anomalies, though. BMW's used-car transactions made up 4.4 per cent of those for its population, and Subaru's made up 3.5 per cent, significantly higher than the prevailing percentages for the others.

Why is this so? Based on basic market principles, one reason for a product's popularity is price. Perhaps the resale prices of BMW and Subaru are relatively lower than those of the rest, that is, used-car rates in relation to new-car prices.

WHAT MAKES USED CARS MORE POPULAR

For most consumer products, the more famous and coveted a brand is, the more sought after its used goods are.

It is more or less the same for second-hand cars, but there are more complex reasons for their popularity.

If you examine the top-10-selling makes in the used-car market in the first quarter, you will see that the list is more or less aligned with the long-term popularity of each brand.

Despite the growing acceptance of German marques in recent years, the Japanese ones still dominate the ranks of the secondary market. That is because Japanese cars have long been the preferred choice of motorists in Singapore.

Transactions of the best-selling used cars usually make up between 2.1 and 2.9 per cent of those for their respective populations (see table).

There are two anomalies, though. BMW's used-car transactions made up 4.4 per cent of those for its population, and Subaru's made up 3.5 per cent, significantly higher than the prevailing percentages for the others.

Why is this so? Based on basic market principles, one reason for a product's popularity is price. Perhaps the resale prices of BMW and Subaru are relatively lower than those of the rest, that is, used-car rates in relation to new-car prices.

Damn good article. +1

davidtch;653938 said:
UK 320 use N43.

Sg 320 use N46

Not orange vs orange le.

Hard to find an orange-orange comparison. Ideally should take a 320i from Malaysia (same engine) but let's say we discount $3-4k for an older engine. It's still quite decent.

It's not PML that's making the $. Its our ah gong ;)

kenntona;654414 said:

It also means BMW cars are depreciated faster in the early years of use. Not a good news for those who keep their cars for only two to three years.

MapleLeaf;654668 said:
It also means BMW cars are depreciated faster in the early years of use. Not a good news for those who keep their cars for only two to three years.

that's because the whole market has been spreading stuff like bmw leak after a few years. but i believe some newer jap cars (like honda, nissan) aren't as reliable as people thought them to be anyway.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclubgamebai

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back