Deplorable Service from Performance Motors

Re: Deplorable Service from Performance Motors

hcsiow;607833 said:
Relative of mine brought his car in to PML recently for transmission problems. 1 week later they still could not solve the problem. He got pissed off and asked what was he supposed to do if even the AD cannot solve the problem? Guess what the reply was? Go to J4C...lol..

In general - companies should outsource what is not their core competence or core to the business e.g. IT. For example - It is a necessity for a bank but a bank is not an IT shop. Idea is to focus their resources on their core business - banking. So DBS outsourced their technology operations (not the strategy nor the architecture - they retain alignment & control of the business) - just the part that is resource intensive and critical to customer interactions like ATMs to IBM.

Wonder if PML should consider outsourcing ........ it looks like their core strength is in marketing and sales - their results in that area is stellar.......especially if it can help put more bimmers on the road and allows them focus on competing against the PIs.

if pml outsource their servicing, i can only imagine the service become worst-worst-worst because

a. pml will squeeze the sub-contractor till the last cent
b. relation to point a, sub-contractor will have to cut corner and cut cost
c. any lapse of service is directed to outsourced servicing company
d. internally pml already cannot manage its own servicing team, there wll be even more demanding to manage external party which mean may be only project manager talking to sub-contractor and take feedback even more face value and don't really know what's going on the ground
e. last but not least, once servicing is out of core mission & vision, then they will just focus on selling selling selling. push the car out of showroom, then whatever next is other people problem.

having said that, it's not impossible or cannot be done. it can be done. the big question do pml has the potential in their management team?

unlike DBS outsource the IT, they can squeze and deal with the outsourced company. outsourcing IT is an internal operation. the customer servicing which has the much touch-point with customer is still managed by DBS own staff with full control and direct feedback

Last edited by a moderator:

ryan;607450 said:
ABD,

I edited your post. Do watch what you say since it borders on libel. I welcome opinions and to keep the conversation open, but this thread is under scrutiny.

Thanks.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: thc u for editing my 'typo error'.

hcsiow;607833 said:
Relative of mine brought his car in to PML recently for transmission problems. 1 week later they still could not solve the problem. He got pissed off and asked what was he supposed to do if even the AD cannot solve the problem? Guess what the reply was? Go to J4C...lol..

:lol2:I guess this sums everything up really.

wt_know;607878 said:
if pml outsource their servicing, i can only imagine the service become worst-worst-worst because

a. pml will squeeze the sub-contractor till the last cent
b. relation to point a, sub-contractor will have to cut corner and cut cost
c. any lapse of service is directed to outsourced servicing company
d. internally pml already cannot manage its own servicing team, there wll be even more demanding to manage external party which mean may be only project manager talking to sub-contractor and take feedback even more face value and don't really know what's going on the ground
e. last but not least, once servicing is out of core mission & vision, then they will just focus on selling selling selling. push the car out of showroom, then whatever next is other people problem.

having said that, it's not impossible or cannot be done. it can be done. the big question do pml has the potential in their management team?

unlike DBS outsource the IT, they can squeze and deal with the outsourced company. outsourcing IT is an internal operation. the customer servicing which has the much touch-point with customer is still managed by DBS own staff with full control and direct feedback

Idea is to outsource strategically which means it's not purely pricing factor. In fact it's always more expensive to outsource - salary & expenses is the same whether insourced or outsourced but with outsourcing - the outsourcing company would need a margin to service the SLA.

If PML does a sub-con e.g lowest tender bid wins the contract with PML type of outsourcing with external workshops then I agree - squeezing price etc would be the focus. But that's not what DBS did with IBM - it wasn't a price squeeze (IBM services would never ever be lowest bidder in any tender ....... ). It was to allow DBS to focus on their core business. And let IBM deal with the necessary evils of being in Banking. Idea is that with more business focus come better revenue streams and the stream delta more than offsets the premiums paid to IBM.

Even IBM themselves did it when they appointed external companies to repair laptops in Singapore (though now that entire laptop usiness is sold to Lenovo). It's pretty much a customer fronting arrangement as well governed by service agreements.

Ahbengdriver;608172 said:
:lol2:I guess this sums everything up really.

And you know what the sad thing is? He did and J4C DID diagnose and fixed the transmission issue :shock:. Heard PML lost a whole bunch of mechanics to another AD and hired another bunch from Toyota....makes you wonder why they don't try harder to reduce staff turnover instead of playing musical chairs :slaphead:

musical chair is NORMAL .... people go people come
the question is how management handle it ..... in such competitive environment no one is indispensable

hcsiow;608291 said:
And you know what the sad thing is? He did and J4C DID diagnose and fixed the transmission issue :shock:. Heard PML lost a whole bunch of mechanics to another AD and hired another bunch from Toyota....makes you wonder why they don't try harder to reduce staff turnover instead of playing musical chairs :slaphead:

wt_know;608301 said:
musical chair is NORMAL .... people go people come
the question is how management handle it ..... in such competitive environment no one is indispensable
There is always something call Talent Management. How do management identify and retain talent? It is always cheaper to retain existing talent rather than train a new talent. It includes time value of $$.

agree on retaining talent.
however, it's difficult to establish the "same level" of talent "understanding" between employee-employer. if employer see one no up and can be replaced anytime they aint gonna retain so call "talent". vis-a-vis if a talent think he is very up and want at least 30% increment and promotion also jump ship anyhow.

talent musical chair also going around between workshops ... :D

davidtch;608399 said:
There is always something call Talent Management. How do management identify and retain talent? It is always cheaper to retain existing talent rather than train a new talent. It includes time value of $$.

wt_know;608428 said:
however, it's difficult to establish the "same level" of talent "understanding" between employee-employer. if employer see one no up and can be replaced anytime they aint gonna retain so call "talent". vis-a-vis if a talent think he is very up and want at least 30% increment and promotion also jump ship anyhow.

Retain talent? Pay them sky high. Or import. Garment says one........

Okok.. just lightening up the thread yeah. :thumbsup:

davidtch;608399 said:
It is always cheaper to retain existing talent rather than train a new talent. It includes time value of $$.
Can help me tell my boss? heh heh.:woottt:

Sorry for OT.

your boss won't buy it la ... it's better to buy/import new robot then to retain old one ... maintenance cost is high :lol:

C3P0;608447 said:

Sorry for OT.

wt_know;608428 said:

I think it all boils down corp culture. Although cars are the same, BMW and Merc would have diff. temperament. It would be better to retain highly skilled & experience technician rather than training a new 1 every 6 mths.

C3P0;608447 said:

Sorry for OT.
OK. I will tell ur boss u r good in sian charbor.

In this modern economy, inflation is going up whereas most commoners salary have remain the same. For technicians, I doubt they are getting much payrise because it's always easy to hire a new technician anytime.

80/20 rules says "20% of the top income workers earns 80% of the total wages of any given population"

in the eyes of corporate, TALENT are those in CEO/CFO/COO, MD/GM, VP/AVP, Regional positions, etc

andy_sg;608514 said:
In this modern economy, inflation is going up whereas most commoners salary have remain the same. For technicians, I doubt they are getting much payrise because it's always easy to hire a new technician anytime.

zorro;608516 said:
80/20 rules says "20% of the top income workers earns 80% of the total wages of any given population"

I was also told by some reliable sources that PML/BMW ASIA had engaged a reputable service-improvement consultant with a desperate attempt to up their sevice level some time back, but frankly I dont see what has been improved. I think PML is a company with no accountability,....just like TehMahShake if you all know what I mean.[/QUOTE]

What is the point of engaging a reputable service improvement consultant if you don't treat it seriously? It's just a waste of money. So far I have done 3 surveys but have not gotten a call or mail to thank me for the survey done.

In most companies, such survey are conducted and the staffs are required to reply to the customers within certain number of days to thank them for taking time to do the survey and rectify the problems highlighted. In this case, its totally bo chap, just doing it for the sake of doing it.

I very recently purchased a 335 coupe. Got home and realized that s small plastic panel piece was missing from the insider rear panel, ard the seatbelt mechanism thingy....

Anyway called the sales girl and asked that it be fixed. Initially there was resistance due to the fact that I had driven out of the showroom. However she came good after a bit of persuasion;)

BUT.. When I went to collect it she said that she had purchased it with her own money due to the hassle of explaining to management/excessive paper work etc.!

Many thanks to my sales girl Kelly.

To me though, this reflects the management more than anything. Such a small issue is subject to so much resistance from management the staff want to avoid. The poor SA's must be working in fear.

To me this says it is a top down issue that needs to be addressed not the individual SAs

so how do we wake up the fat cats at the top? They don't care, as long as PML is profitable. Aftersales service is secondary it seems...

Redplanet;611662 said:
so how do we wake up the fat cats at the top? They don't care, as long as PML is profitable. Aftersales service is secondary it seems...

PML is definitely more than profitable in Y2010. Looking at the low OMV of the car especially the F10, PML/BMW Asia made a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Willing buyers/willing sellers .... but the least that PML can do is to ensure that customers get a better level of customer service.

I have traded in my BMW for a Merc as I would like to "try" Merc and make a comparison between the two. I owned the E90 for 26 months and I must say i am pretty lucky with the car. However, some of my complaints are as follows :

1. Friction tape on the door ... wife complained about the vibration and noise from the door and wife also commented that even our previous Jap ride has less vibration and is quieter.
2. The vents for the air con broke within weeks of collection and I got it repaired. However, I was embarrassed when my colleague took a ride and commented that it should not happen as it is a BMW.
3. Having to wait at least 30 mins when sending in the car for servicing and at least 45 mins when collecting the car. I don't understand the fact that they texted me to inform me that my car is ready for collection and yet I have to wait 45 mins to collect the car.

The E90 has served me well during my ownership and I did not have any major issues with the car. I still miss the handling and drive of the car. However, one of the reason why I decided to switch is that I am worried about the potential high cost of maintenance as the car gets older.

The critical question ... would I buy a BMW again ? 50/50 ..... if i can still afford it would likely to be between a Merc and Beemer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbenbetat
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back