Deplorable Service from Performance Motors

Re: Deplorable Service from Performance Motors

Hahahahah PML again. I am telling you the people there are hopeless beyond any English word available in the dictionary. The SA and Relationship managers try to make sense of a predicament but only in the end making themselves look like fools with tools.

I never liked sending my car there for service because they always touch unnecessary stuff of the car thinking its related to an imminent fault but in the end causing more problems than the orginal problem itself.

The BMW brand is a flourishing brand. But in Singapore, we are beginning to see the "law of diminishing returns" very soon...Because clearly they are inefficient and incompetent. And it almost always proves true when customers have to deal with them and they try to defend thinking BMW owners are tools that are expendable.

Its time they watched "THE EXPENDABLES" !!!

Speaking of laksa, I going Katong Laksa later. Geylang too much coconut milk. Ken and MW prefers Geylang ones though. Haha...

poolfan;613189 said:
PML is definitely more than profitable in Y2010. Looking at the low OMV of the car especially the F10, PML/BMW Asia made a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Willing buyers/willing sellers .... but the least that PML can do is to ensure that customers get a better level of customer service.

I have traded in my BMW for a Merc as I would like to "try" Merc and make a comparison between the two. I owned the E90 for 26 months and I must say i am pretty lucky with the car. However, some of my complaints are as follows :

1. Friction tape on the door ... wife complained about the vibration and noise from the door and wife also commented that even our previous Jap ride has less vibration and is quieter.
2. The vents for the air con broke within weeks of collection and I got it repaired. However, I was embarrassed when my colleague took a ride and commented that it should not happen as it is a BMW.
3. Having to wait at least 30 mins when sending in the car for servicing and at least 45 mins when collecting the car. I don't understand the fact that they texted me to inform me that my car is ready for collection and yet I have to wait 45 mins to collect the car.

The E90 has served me well during my ownership and I did not have any major issues with the car. I still miss the handling and drive of the car. However, one of the reason why I decided to switch is that I am worried about the potential high cost of maintenance as the car gets older.

The critical question ... would I buy a BMW again ? 50/50 ..... if i can still afford it would likely to be between a Merc and Beemer.

Just curious, which model did you changed to? W204 or W212?

Merc has their own set of problems, might not be lesser than BMW: squeaky mirrors, juddering wipers, suspension issues, steering issues etc etc. I follow the sgmerc forums pretty closely as well.

Servicing wise, they are costlier than BMW. I did a item to item comparison couple of months back.

I'm also thinking hard on what to get next, BMW or Merc?? Heart says BMW, OMV says Merc.

Damn... will still stick to the heart I think!

On a thread like that, it would be more fashionable to bash them. However my (few) personal experiences with them have not been that bad. They were quick to arrange a servicing appointment when I needed one. On another occasion when I was there to fix a faulty rear lights assembly, the SA told me he will try to slot me in for a fix the very next business day even though all appointment slots have been filled for the next week. I didn't get it done there cos it was quite pricey but that shouldn't cover the fact the SA was responsive.

715;613307 said:
Just curious, which model did you changed to? W204 or W212?

Merc has their own set of problems, might not be lesser than BMW: squeaky mirrors, juddering wipers, suspension issues, steering issues etc etc. I follow the sgmerc forums pretty closely as well.

Servicing wise, they are costlier than BMW. I did a item to item comparison couple of months back.

I'm also thinking hard on what to get next, BMW or Merc?? Heart says BMW, OMV says Merc.

Damn... will still stick to the heart I think!

Got the W204 .... the W204 and the E90 are just different drive. My heart also said BMW but I made the decision listening to my head (Practical reason). C&C offered a good deal for my 2008 ride and I was concern with the potential problem/cost if I were to keep the E90. My intention was to keep the E90 in tip top condition.... changing transmission oil at 50 k, doing the diagnostic test with PML etc etc. But backside itchy, went to test drive the Merc and got the good deal from C&C.

I still miss the Beemer and deep within I still prefer the Beemer. Merc is more towards luxury and comfort and the Beemer is more about the driver.

My SE at PML said that she is looking forward to seeing me in two years ...... I think so too.

Your are definitely right, I should have stick to my heart.

poolfan;613314 said:
Got the W204 .... the W204 and the E90 are just different drive. My heart also said BMW but I made the decision listening to my head (Practical reason). C&C offered a good deal for my 2008 ride and I was concern with the potential problem/cost if I were to keep the E90. My intention was to keep the E90 in tip top condition.... changing transmission oil at 50 k, doing the diagnostic test with PML etc etc. But backside itchy, went to test drive the Merc and got the good deal from C&C.

I still miss the Beemer and deep within I still prefer the Beemer. Merc is more towards luxury and comfort and the Beemer is more about the driver.

My SE at PML said that she is looking forward to seeing me in two years ...... I think so too.

Your are definitely right, I should have stick to my heart.

W204 is quite nice, wife is driving a C180K. Yours is C180BE or C200CGI?

I'm thinking real hard about the F10 vs W212 now.. really still prefer BMW after all these years, but still can't accept the ultra low OMV... or I'll just stick to my 'lao' E60 for a while more.... Sleepless nights again, haiz......

End OT, guys please continue to bash who you wanna bash!

Wondering aloud. Any input from BMW owners in other countries? I would sure like to find out - do other owners enjoy good service that correlates to the branding? Or is Singapore the only place with such standards and highest margins? Where else in the world would any dealer make a 100k profit from a 535i and still pull out such a service level? I don't think so right? In the US this 100k profit alone can already pay for 2 whole cars at list price. So in other countries, suffice to say that they work off much lower margins of a few k or maybe 10k+ per car, unlike that of several times profit in SG. How is it that these other dealers can afford to give decent service levels and PML can't? Is it that overheads in SG are more expensive than USA or Europe? And another thing is...

Other countries in the west:
Much much lower population density in area
sell lower volumes of cars per month
each car fetches a profit of few k? (how much can it be since 30-60k will buy you entire car?)
= still afford to give very decent service levels

SINGAPORE
Highest population density - hence captive, accessible audience for marketing efforts - give free tissue and 2 million ppl line up.
BMW is always best selling in terms of sheer volume of cars sold per month
Each car carries obscene profits of... 30k to 100+k?
= can afford to give service levels that get laughed at compared to lesser brands, and the BMW community just simply talk, and feel such way about it. Let alone class leading service within the country, and much further removed - a service level that other countries take as a benchmark?

I simply don't understand - where is the missing link?

__iceman__;613363 said:
Wondering aloud. Any input from BMW owners in other countries? I would sure like to find out - do other owners enjoy good service that correlates to the branding? Or is Singapore the only place with such standards and highest margins? Where else in the world would any dealer make a 100k profit from a 535i and still pull out such a service level? I don't think so right? In the US this 100k profit alone can already pay for 2 whole cars at list price. So in other countries, suffice to say that they work off much lower margins of a few k or maybe 10k+ per car, unlike that of several times profit in SG. How is it that these other dealers can afford to give decent service levels and PML can't? Is it that overheads in SG are more expensive than USA or Europe? And another thing is...

each car fetches a profit of few k? (how much can it be since 30-60k will buy you entire car?)

SINGAPORE
Highest population density - hence captive, accessible audience for marketing efforts - give free tissue and 2 million ppl line up.
= can afford to give service levels that get laughed at compared to lesser brands, and the BMW community just simply talk, and feel such way about it. Let alone class leading service within the country, and much further removed - a service level that other countries take as a benchmark?

Well the only think I can think of is the that BMW Asia which is overlooking PML are complacent and useless too.

Have you seen how other heads like BMW NA and BMW Europe is run? If you read other forums, you can see that the dealerships and their objectives are well in line with what that their representative office like BMW NA or BMW Europe wants which is inturn what BMW Ag expects. They set pre-defined levels of sales to be met, service quality to be met, after-sales follow-up, customer retention policies, etc. And they have huge penalties for standards that cannot be maintained at minimum. This makes alot of dealers in such countries more efficient and customer oriented because whether they are in business or not depends on the customers loyalty to their particular dealership. In Singapore we have only 1 pathetic dealer which is PML and they are cowling behind BMW Asia. Anyone and anybody with PML's setup can get good sales. Its not rocket science. Cars sells for itself pretty much. It's not as though they market the cars locally so well that they get sales. BMW Asia must be foolish if they think PML is able to sell so many cars to customers because anyone with the same setup can achieve the same, possibly more because they are won't be PML. Because there is 0 customer retention, everyone is taking the PI route now. I also heard PML complained many peope were PI BMWs and they informed dealers of other countries strictly not to comply with orders put in from here. As with the world today, there is always a way around it as with a friend who recently PIed a 550i full-spec from UK for only 350k with current COE prices. At that same price buys you a closely priced 535i + an eternally wretched after-sales for 3 years with it under PML.

It takes 2 to clap so the problem is inherently BOTH parties. Double standards if you ask me cause they know the cars sell here well + there is only 1 such dealer. Imagine if a much better run and neutral BMW Asia decides to have 2 instead of 1 dealer and awards a new tender, I am very confident PML will be shit out of the list. So in part, BMW Asia is also in bed with PML. Try imagining if PML were to be run by say BMW US or Europe, I guarantee that they will close within 6 months or I circumsize again.

In such places run professionally by BMW NA or Europe, having good sales is not good enough. It has to be backed by proper management of customers and after-service. That's what keeps the dealerships in business there. And trust me, they treat every customer as thought its their last one left. The problem with BMW Asia is that they don't have such high standards. They are complacent that cars are selling and they have good numbers. Everything else below that doesn't matter. Not the case with the other BMW representative offices that are well-managed and run by professionals. Sometimes it makes me feel that Singapore is a place for those below-averaged calibred BMW employees to be dumped in. BEcause clearly, that's how it is seeing how the things is run. YOu can't stop but to imagine. And when you have monkeys leading monkeys, it become a zoo. Exactly like how corresponding after-sales cannot be even remotely kept up with the high volume of BMW cars on the road. Pandemonium and a severe depression of service quality. That's what it is now. Things will only get worse if this continues.

The problem in Singapore is that most of the people here just complain but in the end, nothing happens. Can't blame most of us because we don't have accompanying consumer rights here as extensive as like in the US or Europe. If we had such rights, neither the current team in BMW Asia and/or the entity PML will be around. All of them will be fired or sent back like gestapo refugees.

We can only hope that the new MD of BMW Asia does something useful here and changes things around. Changes for the better are always welcome instead of deadwood. Speaking of which, there are many. PML's new notation should be Piss My Life since they are definitely heading the right way with customers at this point in time.

Last edited by a moderator:

satinGHOST|r!der;613370 said:
Well the only think I can think of is the that BMW Asia which is overlooking PML are complacent and useless.

Have you seen how other heads like BMW NA and BMW Europe is run? If you read other forums, you can see that the dealerships and their objectives are well in line with that their representative office like BMW NA or BMW Europe wants. They set pre-defined levels of sales to be met, service quality to be met, after-sales follow-up, customer retention policies, etc. And they have huge penalties for standards that cannot be maintained at minimum. This makes alot of dealers in such countries more efficient and customer oriented because whether they are in business or not depends on the customers loyalty to their particular dealership. In SIngapore we have only 1 pathetic dealer which is PML and they are cowling behind BMW Asia. It takes 2 to clap so the problem is inherently BOTH parties. Double standards if you ask me cause they know the cars sell here well + there is only 1 such dealer. Imagine if a much better run BMW Asia decides to have 2 instead of 1 dealer and awards a new tender, I am very confident PML will be shit out of the list. Try imagining if PML were to be run by say BMW US or Europe, I guarantee that they will close within 6 months or I circumsize again.

In such places run professionally by BMW NA or Europe, having good sales is not good enough. It has to be backed by proper management of customers and after-service. That's what keeps the dealerships in business there. And trust me, they treat every customer as thought its their last one left. The problem with BMW Asia is that they don't have such high standards. They are complacent that cars are selling and they have good numbers. Everything else below that doesn't matter. Not the case with the other BMW representative offices that are well-managed and run by professionals. Sometimes it makes me feel that Singapore is a place for those below-averaged calibred BMW employees to be dumped in. BEcause clearly, that's how it is seeing how the things is run. YOu can't stop but to imagine. And when you have monkeys leading monkeys, it become a zoo. Exactly like how corresponding after-sales cannot be even remotely kept up with the high volume of BMW cars on the road. Pandemonium and a severe depression of service quality. That's what it is now. Things will only get worse if this continues.

The problem in Singapore is that most of the people here just complain but in the end, nothing happens. Can't blame most of us because we don't have accompanying consumer rights here as extensive as like in the US or Europe. If we had such rights, neither the current team in BMW Asia and/or the entity PML will be around. All of them will be fired or sent back like gestapo refugees.

We can only hope that the new MD of BMW Asia does something useful here and changes things around. Changes for the better are always welcome instead of deadwood. Speaking of which, there are many.

Service levels elsewhere are the same - e.g US. And the dynamics there is very different from Singapore - the parts are cheaper there but the workmanship is much more higher so much so that they term the dealership as stealerships. I think the comparison to other countries is irrelevant as the basis of comparison is not consistent.

Red_Bean_Bun;613374 said:
Service levels elsewhere are the same - e.g US. And the dynamics there is very different from Singapore - the parts are cheaper there but the workmanship is much more higher so much so that they term the dealership as stealerships. I think the comparison to other countries is irrelevant as the basis of comparison is not consistent.

I agree it is not a fair comparison due to the different nature of both markets but it is meant to illustrate the difference in how they are operated.

Not entirely true because companies like BMW integrate globally in local markets. They all base on a minimum standard to be followed and they try to meet such service expectation(s). In so far as service levels are the same everywhere, you are right. They are supposed to be the same everywhere but they are severely below the minimum here in Singapore.

Workmanship in US is much more higher but even such costs is very high even in local context for otherwise a standard service at AD. But I believe that even Merc and Audi prices are around the same so this probably can be debated. I agree parts are cheap at even AD in US. Not in AD in Singapore including even Merc and Audi. That's the reason why most do not even go back to AD after warranty is over. Non-scheduled service is done almost always at 3rd party workshops.
Very simple to find out. I have tried it before. Try getting a price for the N54 fuel pump from PML and try getting the price for the N54 pump from Eng Soon. Ta Da!

Last edited by a moderator:

IMO, PML is just not doing justice to BMW brand ....

I love my E90 and I would have kept the car if not for the "bad"stuff that we hear about PML's aftersales service. I could recall the "big news" about the owner of a 7 series and PML and at the end I am not sure whether the owner did get a replacement.

The issue here is the legal system ... there is little consumer's right unlike in USA where owners will take cases to court and companies are afraid of the negative reports in the press would choose to compensate and to close the case to avoid the negative reports.

In Singapore, our legal system is weak to protect the consumer, indirectly it has allow companies like PML to be complacent.

At the end of the day, consumers still have a choice and we are just suckers as we love the brand too much. Merc, Audi, Lexus etc .... BMW remain my favorite.

__iceman__;613363 said:

SINGAPORE

One word -- monopoly.

In other countries, you can go to another OD. In Singapore, you alternative is PI or second hand car market. Also, government tax policies and import restrictions create entry barrier and opacity in the whole system -- perfect for sellers to hide behind.

Anyone asked to do a online survey from "BMW Voice" on your last engagement with PML?

Seems to be initiated by BMW Asia... :thinking:

Je_taime;614352 said:
Anyone asked to do a online survey from "BMW Voice" on your last engagement with PML?

hmmmm....... hope tat they dun need loud speaker to hear our voice..... anyway i hav replied them yesterday. 8)

Je_taime;614352 said:

Yes I did too some time ago, but no sound no picture.

:huhhuh:

I won't be bothered to write a specific letter to them or participate in a survey unless there is a specific response or a meeting held to discuss it and positive actions after. To spend time on something that has nothing coming back - I guess I value my time more than that.

Actually they should just refer to this thread if they want a realistic feel of what the real market really feels about it. I guess my next change for the 530i is a 535 but can anyone convince me why I would spend 50k more to pay PML for this service level? Give top class service (not just to specific escalation case customers, that anyone can do) and fly the flag properly, then many will see the point. Actually in the end its not really about sales, how about true values of brand ambassadorship and representation. Is BMW happy to let PIs be the reference standards? LOL.

Ok I guess I've said too much, whilst many others here have more vested interest because that premium margin $$$ was only throw recently at PML. My car is out of warranty now and obviously I prefer the better "non-mass market" service i get from external BMW specialists.

I was at PML Alexandra yesterday for my 2nd oil change servicing (the interval is now every 8k km) and the service level has improved tremendously, maybe after all these feedback in the forum. Everyone was very friendly, put on a genuine smile and efficient. The only exception is the tea lady. She gives you what you ask for but with a grouchy look, not a big problem but compared to the babes and friendly aunties at other places, maybe PML should send her for customer training. Their usual practice of charging for windscreen wiper fluid is still there but they readily removed the charges when I pointed it out to them. Hehe, I always check my bills. It may be just afew dollars but I reminded them I had it written down during the drop-in service. Small matter though. The overall experience was pleasant.

Well I hope PML end up like VW Singapore when the owner lost his dealership couple yrs ago. Again, no guarantee service will improve even if BMW itself takes over the distribution in Singapore.

i think the problem lies in the mind-set of most dealers/2nd hand car buyers... since most ppl know that PML service is horrid, why still buy from them when its more expensive and service suxx? because of resale value.

anyone who tries to sell his PI car will know that all dealers and most buyers will say "oh PI car..hard to sell etc"
If this mind-set is removed, i'm sure more will go the PI route with 30-50k savings on the F10 now, i'm sure even without warranty, your savings will be enuff to cover you for the next 3 years..after that no diff between PI and PMl in terms of "peace of mind" right?

__iceman__;615332 said:
I guess my next change for the 530i is a 535 but can anyone convince me why I would spend 50k more to pay PML for this service level?

Do you agree with below taken from another thread http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/bmw-singapore-motoring-life/47017-pml-outside-workshop.html ?
zorro;615521 said:
Should go back to PML if airbag is activated.......

henry2703;615580 said:
If airbag and the safety equipment is affected, my suggestion is go back to stealership... don't risk it...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ww88atcom
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back