E46M3 vs E92 335i - Tested and driven

Re: E46M3 vs E92 335i - Tested and driven

getting pretty exciting indeed....

335 with twin turbo with mods - tuning, turbo.... whoa...........slap reiger kit, put 19 inch rims...

supercar slayer!

yes yes yes..thats exciting for sure..but depressing for the other non-owners..haha

yeah..... me feeling depressed also cos I think is "can see but cannot touch"... cos if touch sure get hantam jia lat jia lat.... Wife will surely hantam...

but I love my maser too much to sell it... will have to sacrifice something else, that is if $$ available of course.. but judging from my crystal ball, seems unlikely...

thats why its exciting and depressing...

sigh.....

why oh why....

Hi Jack

Having owned a M3 previously - agreed with you that the 335 do not give one the "feel good factor aka oneupmanship " vs the M3.

But - I am sure someone with come up with the bodykits and quad exhausts sooooonn.....

but boy - that car can really pull - was following my buddy's 335 when he pulled out of traffic and I was flooring it and it felt like I was standing still

time to put my 630 on the market !!!

with 400Nm of torque from a lowly 1500rpm, the car, I can imagine, will be superb off the blocks.... it will definitely outpace many faster cars...

though I am not sure how it will perform at speeds of 220-250kmh on the N-S when compared with the bigger cc engines... but I cant imagine it being that much worse off..

the more I think, the more I concede it is a fantastic buy...

now just waiting for my test drive...

drool..

BlackStealth;165383 said:
jack, how does the gear ratio feels on low to mid? tall? short?

I can't remember the exact ratio. The brochure has it actually
But having said that, the low to mid feels reasonably short but not as short as the M3. Probably bout the same as the Z4 3L or if not slightly shorter.

This 335 can be a good cruiser too..It's got FD of 3.08 vs M3's 3.62
So in a way, E46M3 has advantage of quicker acceleration and shorter gear ratios but lose out on the torque....Damn, these two cars are so comparable.

If only the E46M3 has 400Nm of torque then it will be even better.

SMYUEN;165612 said:
though I am not sure how it will perform at speeds of 220-250kmh on the N-S when compared with the bigger cc engines... but I cant imagine it being that much worse off..

Doc,
3L is reasonably big cc for high speed cruising and the twin turbo really makes it even more exciting for overtaking...Dropping a gear from 6 to 5 is all you need...

sounds great....

but I have a question....

in the real world, whats is the difference between say:

1. E46 M3 - 343 bhp, 365 Nm, 5.2 seconds
2. E92 335i - 306 bhp, 400Nm, 5.5 seconds
3. Maserati 4200GT - 390bhp, 452 Nm, 4.9 seconds

What do you think will be the difference? it sounds as if the 335 can shrink the 0.3 to 0.5 second on-paper century sprint inferiority to the other 2 cars?

in what situation will be the 335 be superior or inferior to the M3 or the maser ?(or to porsches etc...)

I suspect in the real world, the 335i would be quicker..(note, not faster)

doc. i drove the gransport for 45mins...i floored it...i can tell u the kick from the 335 is not far off. the sound from the maser makes up a lot of the raw factor...the jerk in the cambiocorsa also contributes to it....i feel the 335 is a lot more driveable in day to day. end of the day its a 238 vs 400k question. i hate to say this..but i do think the 335 is not a car for a novice drivers. not many people know what 400nm of torque can do to u....

it really is that close....if u can forget the wow factor etc...its value for money.

Mag -quicker as in briskier you mean... like the corollas and vios...

toto- i think i am beginning to feel the 335 and its target clientel... value for money seems like a good way to describe it... potential super car slayer is a good name as well... Yes, 400Nm of torque can be hard to harness in a RWD... my maser spins its wheels ever so happily, so i can understand the sensitivity that is required to drive a car like that...

for 238k - really a steal..

but like you said, I would still pay a bit more for the wow factor.. no offence to the 335 owners though...

The inevitable question - a brand new 335 or a used M3? Coupe vs coupe, cabrio vs cabrio?

Assuming same price and favourable factors for the used M3 (well maintained, low mileage)......

Doc
All those 3 are highly driveable cars for day to day. U want power, u get it, u want high speed u get it.

Of all those 3, Maser is clearly the fastest car both on track and high speed driving
Handling wise, I think M3 wins it.

While those numbers u mentioned above are impressive so to speak, I think the overall package of a car that really matters the most, at least that is what I think.

Not trying to be biased here, E46M3 is an absolutely superb car to drive. The only sour factor here is the price when u buy it brand new. Its way overpriced IMO....
It was priced at 1000 bux per 1 bhp at the crank = SGD 343k
Had it been lower say low 300k, this car would hv been the best value for money one can buy in high performance car category, no contest.

kenn - I knew this would come... haha

like we discussed... IMHO:

335- new technology, twin turbo, gets the job done fuss free, lower road tax. new look.. WOW factor cos its so novelty now

used M3 - tried, tested, proved... the car people benchmark against... BUT old technology, old look, more raw....

for cabrio - damn tough choice.... one is hardtop, one is soft top... damn tough... but I would probably just go for the hard top since it is more unique for a BMW at least... but my heart will say soft top more chio.. but my heart will tell me E46 looks a bit dated liao...

tough decisions bro

TripleM;165633 said:
Doc
All those 3 are highly driveable cars for day to day. U want power, u get it, u want high speed u get it.

Of all those 3, Maser is clearly the fastest car both on track and high speed driving
Handling wise, I think M3 wins it.

While those numbers u mentioned above are impressive so to speak, I think the overall package of a car that really matters the most, at least that is what I think.

Not trying to be biased here, E46M3 is an absolutely superb car to drive. The only sour factor here is the price when u buy it brand new. Its way overpriced IMO....
It was priced at 1000 bux per 1 bhp at the crank = SGD 343k
Had it been lower say low 300k, this car would hv been the best value for money one can buy in high performance car category, no contest.

roger that Jack... indeed I agree the M3 should be best all rounder here, apart from the high new price and heavy depreciation...

now I cant wait for test drive of 335...

:cloud9:

SMYUEN;165634 said:
335- new technology, twin turbo, gets the job done fuss free, lower road tax. new look.. WOW factor cos its so novelty now

but somehow i feel that the 335 is novelty now... but cos of the price, it will eventually just become another one of those bimmers on the road. :(

HungryM3;165639 said:
SMYUEN;165634 said:
/quote]

but somehow i feel that the 335 is novelty now... but cos of the price, it will eventually just become another one of those bimmers on the road. :(

you are quite right too... it may become "mass-marketed" - which may be a pity from consumer's point of view, but to BMW, it may make lots of sense...

:)

Of course for PML, its all about the money! but as a consumer, if you want exclusitivity, you gotta think hard again about the 335 in the long run. *sigh*

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mksportfit
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back