E60 "Sports" Mode

Re: E60 "Sports" Mode

Ct13;935221 said:
Thanks!
But too Chim for me. I see cables only scare... :)
Love to have it as the steering will feel heavier when sport mode right? YOu feel it?

Steering still the same. I think it only affects the later models - 06 >

Philster;935331 said:

Nice. Sport mode 06 model can?

Philster;935331 said:

Some felt tat d steering is heavier in Sports mode. I would prefer tat too for a more secured & better road feel, mayb tatz just me...

:)

Philster;934858 said:
View attachment 45110Just got mine done.
Took it for a short drive.
I can reasonably say that it is different from DS.
The up shift is sooner than DS (less rpm).
The drive is smoother than DS.
The throttle response time is like DS (need more testing..)
Certainly a nicer drive if you're in a hurry.

Pre LCI model. Key Start 05.

Steering feel if same then it seem not much difference liao.

BTW, you only get 6.7km/l??

bad milage cuz I disconnected the battery. Prev memory was lost, so if u go for a short drive in heavy traffic, thats the crappy milage u get.

Ok, too a closer look a the button install.
The car puts out 1.5v for that button. (Checked with multimeter).
All LED that i can find so far are 2.6v and up. I basically went to every shop in Sim Lim Twr and was told the same thing. All LED are 2.x v and up. If I want anything lower, I'm not going to find it there and it will cost $$$.
It doesnt matter if it comes in the button or not.

so, I'm just gonna use a 50cent button.

OK. Just got back from KL.
Busted a wheel and a tire (again) on the way up. (limped from Melaka to KL at ard 80kmh all the way. Got 9.7km per litre. Best ever but don't want to do it again).
Came back with a set of slightly used original M5 wheels. Yeah!! Christmas gift to myself.
The sport button is the same as DS on highways.
BUT its definately different for city driving. Smoother gear change and changes up at lower revs than DS.
Strangely, the jerk when u stop problem, which these cars are so infamous for, is gone. Will keep u posted on this.
Meanwhile, must find a place to drill hole.

for button laaaa

Last edited by a moderator:

i got my e60 with stock sport mode available. didnt really feel heavier steering but it changes gear in a higher rpms... pls advice whether mine is diff??

skinx;944837 said:
i got my e60 with stock sport mode available. didnt really feel heavier steering but it changes gear in a higher rpms... pls advice whether mine is diff??

changes up at higher rev at sport mode? only if u floor it?
if u gently accelerate, mine changes up at lower rpm, and this is different to DS mode, where it, in DS Mode, will change at higher rev even if u accelerate gently.

This is my experience.

The heavier steering is present only if your car has active steering. If your car is a 523, its most likely it does not have it.

btw, the jerk when u stop is still there but more subtle, unless I drive like a maniac, then the car would want to lurch forward aggressively after a sudden stop. Sometimes 2 sec+ later. So gotta keep my foot hard on the brakes. #@!%$#ZF tranny!!!! One time it nearly hit a pretty lady at the pedestrian crossing (cuz my foot was too soft on the brakes and the car lurched forward after 2secs). This is not due to the sport button I must add. It was happening before the button was installed. Thank God I drive like a gentleman most of the time ;-) These trannys are a bit of an animal....

Philster;945012 said:
changes up at higher rev at sport mode? only if u floor it?
if u gently accelerate, mine changes up at lower rpm, and this is different to DS mode, where it, in DS Mode, will change at higher rev even if u accelerate gently.

This is my experience.

The heavier steering is present only if your car has active steering. If your car is a 523, its most likely it does not have it.

thx for the advice.. imma try it again. :)

motoxxx55;945364 said:
U did a nice, neat & clean job but with quite a sum of $.

The mentioned way of doing the "sports" mode in this thread is a rather cheap & affordable way to trial & error...

Cheap but there is not much trial and error involved to be honest. Just make sure you diconnect the battery terminal before you begin.
Drove back from the city to just now, 3am, light traffic made up of mostly taxis. Sports button on, smoked them all. Definately more fun than normal. I wonder how much more fun are sprint boosters / powerboxes.....hmmm.....

motoxxx55;945364 said:
U did a nice, neat & clean job but with quite a sum of $.

The mentioned way of doing the "sports" mode in this thread is a rather cheap & affordable way to trial & error...

I did the mod mainly because I really like the SAT gear shift lever, didn't like the stock one from day one. The sports button and the heavier steering was a big bonus that came together which I really enjoy. Manual gear changes were also much quicker than stock, and I shift to manual pretty often. It's like that will be the first button I press after I've hit the expressway! Considering the parts are all original without having to trial and error, I would say that the costs are reasonable for the 'original' look. I was on a modding spree back then and changed many other parts at the same time, so didn't really care about costs etc. Overall, it is a worthwhile mod for me with no regrets.

hi guys, i've tried the difference already. i notice that when i'm in sports mode, its actually changed into a 5 gear drive. and its more responsive due to high rev. i dont get the effects on what you guys mentioned on changing gear faster and smoother.... ????

Philster;934858 said:
View attachment 45110Just got mine done.
Took it for a short drive.
I can reasonably say that it is different from DS.
The up shift is sooner than DS (less rpm).
The drive is smoother than DS.
The throttle response time is like DS (need more testing..)
Certainly a nicer drive if you're in a hurry.

Pre LCI model. Key Start 05.

Have not done the sports mode conversion... but I did the ignition upgrade at R2D. With this upgrade, and in DS mode, revving to the redline for every gear change is creamy smooth and very addictive to drive. I wonder how this compares with your sports mode conversion....

Philster, maybe we should meet and swop drives to compare.....

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back