E90 320i PFL Coolant Temperature ? Ways to reduce ?

Re: E90 320i PFL Coolant Temperature ? Ways to reduce ?

I am here to learn n share.

On stock of n55 335, spirited runs can hit temp of 120-125 max. After oil thermostat mod temp are max 110 as fan kicks in earlier.

I have just so call upgraded to Stett oil cooler stage 2 and spirited runs will bring it max to 105-110 range max.

Have never gone track to try yet.

On coolant I just use BMW coolant and flush it every time I change plugs which is about 30,000.

Older cars should change coolant regularly too. Too low a temperature I also think it is not good as well.

Red_Bean_Bun;1076614 said:
Started with 115c on my engine when I got from my dealer - n54 engine.

- flushed the radiator and filled it with distilled water and coolant (50/50 ratio). Temp dropped slightly - moved a wee bit towards the 110c mark on my temp gauge.
- Bled the system (use bleed screw) and then added redline water wetter. It actually made it worst and went back to 115c
- Bled a bunch out (used the bleeding procedure with engine off) and re-filled with more distilled water. Gauge needle moved back closer to the 110c mark.
- Changed to GC. Gauge needle moved right on top of the 110c mark.
- Changed my oil cooler thermostat and gauge needle moved between the 100c and 110c mark.

Had engine ice on my previous Z4 (NA engine) - not much of a diff back then in terms of temp and it was costly .......

IMHO - I think the engine ice, water wetter stuff is over rated .....

easy;1076689 said:
That prob explains why my coolant is usually running high, coz my loads are low and no where to chiong :shakehea:

So gotta gun the bugger more so coolant temp will be lower?

I tried to do that, the fan came max on and coolant temp drop to 80-90'

canuck78;1077307 said:
So gotta gun the bugger more so coolant temp will be lower?

I tried to do that, the fan came max on and coolant temp drop to 80-90'

You gun the bugger, means more air flow ... coming into the engine bay .... and flush the heat out as well ... logical ?

Stett oil cooler is solid. Can't remember but I think it has a complete thermostat bypass ?

SUPAN;1077066 said:
I am here to learn n share.

On stock of n55 335, spirited runs can hit temp of 120-125 max. After oil thermostat mod temp are max 110 as fan kicks in earlier.

I have just so call upgraded to Stett oil cooler stage 2 and spirited runs will bring it max to 105-110 range max.

Have never gone track to try yet.

On coolant I just use BMW coolant and flush it every time I change plugs which is about 30,000.

Older cars should change coolant regularly too. Too low a temperature I also think it is not good as well.

E90 320i PFL Coolant Temperature ? Ways to reduce ?

Accordingly to WS boss, our e90 really runs hot.

Normal temp is at 100'C+ so mine that floats between 108-113'C is in normal range.

The high temp is to ensure fuel efficiency at low-normal operating loads.

When running heavy loads, the temp can come down to 90'C when full fan is on to ensure components is not over-stressed.

At heavy jam, it can go all the way up to 118'C so don't be surprised!

For preventative maintenance, do check your coolant level once for leaks and also do a coolant change per annum.

Hope this reassures all e90 bros worrying about engine / coolant temp using the secret menu.

Last edited by a moderator:

Red_Bean_Bun;1077340 said:
Stett oil cooler is solid. Can't remember but I think it has a complete thermostat bypass ?

In Singapore start stop traffic even with Stett temp will be a tick below 110.

However try it on a free expressway with very minimum traffic or say jb runs, the temp will be 100.

A very good n impressive oil cooler.

If not intending to track, or built a good mod list, a good racing thermostat is good enough.

A thermostat cost less than 200 n Stett stage 1 over 1 k plus... Depends on the long run what you like for the car.

Red bean bun - so the redline water wetter doesn't work ?? And increase the temp somemore ??

It's depends on car mate... Na or turbo etc ...

Reporting back after a coolant flush but this time with distilled water (previously WS used tap water).

Coolant temp was reduced from 113'C down to 110'C now.

Will monitor a bit more since it's been one week I did the coolant flush.

Red_Bean_Bun;1078916 said:
Did not work for me ....water wetter .....

And here is an interesting chart ......

View attachment 60550

Wow Red Bean Bro...

This table from E90 N46 Engine ?
Can control thermostat or Fan start functioning earlier ?
Or can we add "Component Protection" in the Operation Mode from 90 degree C instead of 117 degree C... (IF "COMPONENT PROTECTION" is the predefined control for the system to do things)

Sorry just guessing a round...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choangclubcfd
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back