E90 - problem again

Re: E90 - problem again

i just did the experiment this morning. off aircon while driving from home to office ... total drive >30mins.
yes, still fluctuate but again gentle i guess the engine load is lighter with aircon off at traffic light stop.

detach8;969005 said:
if u off aircon, got fluctuate?

ok ... latest update

went to workshop, plug in the diagnostic tool, got the message "air fuel mixture" bla bla bla
can be due to many reasons from coil to plug to sensor to throttle body ...
before that i have already decided to change the air filter when i made appt with the workshop ... just a test-test see how

bham ... problem solved ... rpm sibei steady now ... previously the rpm cannot stay firm from 800 down to 700 and then up to 800
now rpm stay sibei steady and firm at 750 (which is used to be) ... shiok ah !

Last edited by a moderator:

Nice... So... were you using some aftermarket filter before this?

yes, BMC ... 25k in total mileage, it's dirty and i think it's choking,
last cleaning less than 10k milleage and i don't think it was cleaned properly, hence dirty
and now K&N ... new and clean ... shiok :D

detach8;969220 said:
Nice... So... were you using some aftermarket filter before this?

stock is best. ignorance is a bliss :p

wt_know;969271 said:
yes, BMC ... 25k in total mileage, it's dirty and i think it's choking,
last cleaning less than 10k milleage and i don't think it was cleaned properly, hence dirty
and now K&N ... new and clean ... shiok :D

My BMC rubber neck broken after using for only 30k (< a year for me), now using back original paper filter. Don't feel/see any different in performance.

TohTo;969475 said:
My BMC rubber neck broken after using for only 30k (< a year for me), now using back original paper filter. Don't feel/see any different in performance.

yeah, not much diff.
for stock paper filter i will remove the cotton sleeve ... tada oem k&n ... sound good too ... hehe

Clean the ICV .... see if it helps ..........

wt_know;967816 said:
ok ... this is the similar problem that i got
in the video it's 'P' mode ... for my case 'P' mode steady poon pi pi ... sibei stable
but in 'D' mode (waiting @ traffic light) ... the rpm drop 100 and then up 100
probably MAF sensor dirty liao

[video=youtube;G9VERqV3s7Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9VERqV3s7Y[/video]

Mine has this issue today. As I depress the brakes a little, car slowed down, wanted to accelerate, engine cut off. Restart engine ok.

Park car, engine on air con on, went up and came down, engine died. Restart car ok again.

Mileage in 104k. From wat I read, valvetronic, ignition coil and also spark plugs to be replaced?

Went to MBM twice, left car with them and no error codes. Giving up on them as I just bought this car recently, and dealer recommend me to go back to MBM to solve this.

Any idea if I can go to other workshops and rectify the problem? And claim back from the dealer? Under the lemon law?

This happens on and off. Probably one week once. But rpm seems to fluctuate especially during morning drive

can try BOSS Motorsport (4th level) or Juzz For Car (3th level) and do a full diagnostic
if car is 104k mileage and these items are not changed better change too

for e90 320i
ignition coil + oem plugs - $300+
valtronic motor & sensor - $1k+
MAF sensor - $120+

Went to BVO, Bernard was nice he reset the fault code for me. And ask me to try the car out. So far no more auto off engine.

He mentioned the valve tonic in the OBD will happen when mileage is Abt 100k. Hence error code detected due to the lifespan of the valve tonic. But he says mine is still working so reset the fault code and test it for a while.

Everything works well. Cross fingers.

my valvetronic motor and sensor also giving CEL .... reset ... and after 1 week error comes up again

for your case, if no CEL then it's ok ... if error comes up again ... better changed .... you don't want your car broke down 1/2 way

_InDiGo-;982574 said:
Went to BVO, Bernard was nice he reset the fault code for me. And ask me to try the car out. So far no more auto off engine.

He mentioned the valve tonic in the OBD will happen when mileage is Abt 100k. Hence error code detected due to the lifespan of the valve tonic. But he says mine is still working so reset the fault code and test it for a while.

Everything works well. Cross fingers.

Now is my turn.
This morning drive car from car park and wait down stairs for wife. Off engine. No problem.
When wife come, re-start engine and the horror start. the rpm was fluctuating between 450rpm to around 750rpm at idle and can feel the whole engine rocking. Try re-start engine and problem remain.
Drive off the car and can feel the engine rocking/vibrating badly and no power, and engine feel like die off.
Park the car back to the car park as I worry car break down on the road, had to ask wife to take a cab.
Today my workshop not open. Now what can be the problem?
The ignition coil was change around Feb last year but travel for about 35k km already, spark plug was changed last Oct.

whole engine rocking is highly likely due to misfire
workshop diagnostic tool probably can read the error codes
however, if your ignition coils and spark plugs were replaced recently, then it's odd that these parts failed in such short period

If have tools and cannot wait ....

Open bonnet
Take off oil cap
Unscrew the screws around engine cover
Disconnect the coils one-by-one

The one that disconnect already and car feels the same is the faulty coil. If all disconnect already still like that then put everything back.

TohTo;985378 said:
Now is my turn.
This morning drive car from car park and wait down stairs for wife. Off engine. No problem.
When wife come, re-start engine and the horror start. the rpm was fluctuating between 450rpm to around 750rpm at idle and can feel the whole engine rocking. Try re-start engine and problem remain.
Drive off the car and can feel the engine rocking/vibrating badly and no power, and engine feel like die off.
Park the car back to the car park as I worry car break down on the road, had to ask wife to take a cab.
Today my workshop not open. Now what can be the problem?
The ignition coil was change around Feb last year but travel for about 35k km already, spark plug was changed last Oct.

Car already towed to BVO. Informed Ah Wee and he will check tomorrow.
I am just hoping it is the ignition coil which is cheaper to replace. Hoping there are no others major problem.
Today is holiday and really have to travel by B.M.W.

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back