Engine coolant water topup

Re: Engine coolant water topup

dkws;1064404 said:
3 weeks old brand new from PML. The coolant reservoir was almost empty when checked. Already topped up with water to max on my own. My question is, this is a brand new car, how could the coolant dry up so fast? I'm sure PML would hv checked and made sure everything was topped up prior handed over to customer. I already sent the car in this morning, but the test report showed ok. Should I allow them to brush me off by telling me this is normal?

Exactly the same case as my friend's 3 week old 316. Also sent in today but not collected back yet. Will update when the car is returned.

dkws;1064404 said:
3 weeks old brand new from PML. The coolant reservoir was almost empty when checked. Already topped up with water to max on my own. My question is, this is a brand new car, how could the coolant dry up so fast? I'm sure PML would hv checked and made sure everything was topped up prior handed over to customer. I already sent the car in this morning, but the test report showed ok. Should I allow them to brush me off by telling me this is normal?
It is definitely not normal. It could be it is not filled to the max.

For peace of mind, get 3rd party to do pressure test. If no issue, ok loh. Got issue, go back & bang table.

Anyway, beside PML, U could always to to Munich Auto.

I m interested to know whether ur car is manufactured in Rosslyn or Munich.

Last edited by a moderator:

Red_Bean_Bun;1047870 said:
Not for me.......I top up every 6 months. Half a small bottle of NTUC distilled water.

But if it's already full of tap water then the distilled water thing does not matter when topping up.

When mixing the coolant with water, only use distilled water. Tap water may contain trace amounts of phosphate that can cause corrosion (phosphoric acid) years down the road. In an emergency, using tap water is better than nothing, but perform a coolant drain and fill as soon as possible.

Car back from PML. There said did pressure test etc and found nothing wrong. Said to monitor and come back if it happens again... lppl.

jetspeed88;1064696 said:
Car back from PML. There said did pressure test etc and found nothing wrong. Said to monitor and come back if it happens again... lppl.

Did they do a flush for you ?

I hope its not tap water inside ? And what about the proportion of coolant ?

jetspeed88;1064892 said:
Prob no flush... Did not ask my friend. Was not mentioned so probably not.

Red_Bean_Bun;1064904 said:
I hope its not tap water inside ? And what about the proportion of coolant ?

How wud he know if it is tap water or what the proportion of coolant is? PML let us inside the workshop to see?

Meek;1064968 said:
Think the SA will say... yes. Tap water!

Haiz... luckily not 100 plus...

now at ws diagnosing my issues... looks like my friend and me taking turns sending our bimmers in.

Yesterday, i saw a black color F30 with VRN 4468 being towed away at the junction of Central Blvd and Commerce St.

inferno nexus;1064689 said:
When mixing the coolant with water, only use distilled water. Tap water may contain trace amounts of phosphate that can cause corrosion (phosphoric acid) years down the road. In an emergency, using tap water is better than nothing, but perform a coolant drain and fill as soon as possible.

I forgot about nitrates, which can also contribute to corrosion. Anyway, this is what the Bentley service manual says:
BMW recommends coolant that is a 50/50
mixture of distilled water and
phosphate/nitrate free anti-freeze
containing ethylene glycol. Anti-freeze
raises the boiling point and lowers the
freezing point of the coolant. It also
contains additives that help prevent cooling
system corrosion.

The Bentley or the BMW WS manual is a must for preventive maintenance .....

inferno nexus;1065351 said:
I forgot about nitrates, which can also contribute to corrosion. Anyway, this is what the Bentley service manual says:

Zincman;942921 said:
bro,pm replied.hope u solve your coolant leaking problem

Hey bro... Can pm me too?

I need a benchmark, coz I sending my e90 for changing of pump only.
:)

hey guys

I have also encounter my coolant always need topup whenever the warning light comes out and found out a leak below the driver between the engine and gearbox, the mechanic tells me its the waterjacket leak which is not an easy excess to it. The water dripping alot thought earlier the water from the aircon condensation. So my last option is to use radiator seal leak, I try using the liquid moly, doesn't work at all. So a friend introduce this japan type radiator seal leak, so what the heck I just pour in the radiator for about 5mins, the water dripping slows down and could hardly see it dripping again after 20mins. The next days, I pour another bottle to ensure the leak is fully seal and it really works and I never thought it can seal a leak of that amount and I dont see anymore warning comes out but I tend to check the water level before I go to work which become a habit till now and Im now worries free:) I've attached the picture of the readiator sealer that really works for me
1975013_10152716993307564_1984493802_n.jpg

tanwzhang;1083625 said:
How much is that? And where to buy?

I bought for SGD8.20 and Im from Brunei, not sure if it available in your country. Don't buy liquid moly leak sealer, its not working at all and cost SGD15..expensive.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
777vinname

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back