Engine oil top up in between service

Jefftay71

I had my oil change at PML at 45k km. I check the engine oil level in the idrive, it was at max mark.

Now my car is 51k km, and the engine oil level is a 1/4 abv min mark.

Is this normal?

Use the dip stick and physically check the level ...

I did not rev hard at all and yes, the dipstick is at a quarter mark down. I check the engine cover but no sign of oil leak etc.

This car will burn some oil right? So for u guys in between service the oil from max will drop to what level when it’s time for next service around 10k km later ? Or is it still at max level after 10k km??

I had same problem it was turbo oil seal worn out and need to replace the whole turbo. check sooth in exhaust is visible sign its bit wet/oily black sooth layer means turbo oil seal worn out. Mai cause of oil consumption

I had same problem it was turbo oil seal worn out and need to replace the whole turbo. check sooth in exhaust is visible sign its bit wet/oily black sooth layer means turbo oil seal worn out. Mai cause of oil consumption

Turbo oil seal worn need to change whole turbo???

Anyway my car is 5 years extended warranty, I shd be able to claim PML warranty for this right?

PML should be able to troubleshoot and replace it if its covered under warranty. My case replace whole turbo as its lot of work and difficulty to replace seal and assembly back the turbo mostly replace dam sure will not leak repairs 50% chance

PML should be able to troubleshoot and replace it if its covered under warranty. My case replace whole turbo as its lot of work and difficulty to replace seal and assembly back the turbo mostly replace dam sure will not leak repairs 50% chance

Thanks! I will send in to PML.

For most bimmers - the EO consumption stays the same from cycle to cycle.

I would check the crankcase pressure next ...

Yes. Loss of engine oil is not normal.

Either gasket leaking at 3 usual locations
- Oil filter housing
- Valve cover gasket
- Oil pan

Or Pcv valve clog issue
Or else engine valve seals

Frankly mine is 84,000km no missing engine oil. 325 e90 n52 engine 6 cylinder

If no visible oil leaks around the engine bay area (usually black clumpy oil with dust), the seals or leaking on floor after overnight parking, then its usually internal leaks.

1 way to find out whether it is internal leaking (and burning internally) is to start the car after overnight parking, idle for about 10min, rev the accelerator hard at P or N and observe the exhaust.
If lots of WHITE fumes, then confirm internal leaks.

Happened to me and the usual culprit is worn VALVE SEALS. cheap spare parts but a little bit on the labour. I bought the seals from ES and went to one of the site sponsor to change them as warranty already over. No problem after that.

Since it will involve opening up of the engine, I took the opportunity to change ALL the valve cover gaskets, and oil pan.

Hope it helps

Check your crankshaft seal. Look from the top down below the crankshaft to see if there is oil stains.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ultracelvn

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back