ERP up up and away~!!!

Re: ERP up up and away~!!!

wt_know;586242 said:
back to erp thingy, is it good or worthwhile to invest in satelitte erp and abolish current erp gantries ? if government really doing an excellent job, we could have 3 roads - 1 flyover, 1 above, 1 underground and super efficient and space saving carpark, etc. if that really happen, why still need ERP ???

When that happens, then whichever scholar who spearheads the project will surely be the next PM. And us drivers will be screwed the moment you crank your engine.

ACS6 said:
That system is for old birds. Now new birds smarter, they want more info. That is why we have electronic road sign boards at almost all expressway exits telling us now the time taken to travel from point A to B or if there is a jam along CTE. IMO, the electronic signboards can go fcuk themselves coz CTE is ALWAYS JAM. The messages should change from "CTE jam after AMK Ave 5" to "WHATS NEW?" or "No jam....you wait long long!"
KNN when I am on CTE, tell me CTE jammed kum lan? I also lan lan...... value add information indeed.....

C3P0 said:
My favourite electronic signboard is the one from Chin Swee into the CTE tunnel (towards SLE). Its always lighted up and it says something like "To CTE Tunnel". Very useful indeed. Might as well hang a normal signboard with the same wordings.
Meant for foreigners, yeah, to impress.

Soon there will be a sign telling the foreigners "To FLOOD Areas" or "To Enhanced ERP Charges Area".....

wt_know said:
i think these are 2 reasons why they change to led display with 'wordings'

1. when they don't want to pick up customer, they off the light but when people see no passenger and taxi light is off, they complain

2. they put a On Call display card on the windscreen with light on, when people flag and taxi light is on, people complain the taxi refuse to pick up

3. gone are the days of using card and paper. change for the sake of change (just to show got improvement)
Now I see HIRED but no customer, I can also complain.... LPPL....

wt_know said:
back to erp thingy, is it good or worthwhile to invest in satelitte erp and abolish current erp gantries ? if government really doing an excellent job, we could have 3 roads - 1 flyover, 1 above, 1 underground and super efficient and space saving carpark, etc. if that really happen, why still need ERP ???
I suggested this here before. Also, time the entrance onto ERP-roads and the exits. Road hoggers pay a lot more.....

haha ... then all cars come with sprint booster race as stock :naughty:

travelling speed does not contribute to road congestion, at least not directly. it's car population and poor road design that create choke points. i believe government has a very good understanding on the choke points. they should cure the choke points instead of merely raising erp that does not solve congestion

kenntona;586251 said:
I suggested this here before. Also, time the entrance onto ERP-roads and the exits. Road hoggers pay a lot more.....

Last edited by a moderator:

wt_know;586255 said:
haha ... then all cars come with sprint booster race as stock :naughty:

travelling speed does not contribute to road congestion, at least not directly. it's car population and poor road design that create choke points. i believe government has a very good understanding on the choke points. they should cure the choke points instead of merely raising erp that does not solve congestion
I disagree with you partially. A lot of times, road congestion is contributed by road hogger that resulted in phantom jam (There is a bideo on phantom jam in MCF). In addition, it is also contributed by lousy driver who anyhow jam brake. I agree with Kenn suggestion. In that case, it will eliminate road hoggers as every1 will chiong to pay less. Anyway, it will not implemented cause scholar scare golden rice bowl will be broken.

i accept the fact that road hogger is ought to be shot for causing congestion especially lane 1 is empty or > 4 cars length ahead is empty.
when all lanes are jammed at peak hour, whether there is road hogger or not ... that does not matter and cars try to squeeze into lane 4 to exit from lane 1/2 !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

kenntona;586151 said:
Same, as with CTE northbound near Jalan Bahagia, with left two lanes clogged up for PIE (Changi) exit....

Or the gantry outside Fullerton. Traffic lights ahead, plus left 2-3 lanes clogged up by cars stopping at Hitachi Towers to pick up passengers (there is a taxi stand there too) or cars entering Battery Road......

Where are the brains?

It just shows that the reason for increasing ERP charges is just another bs,

wt_know;586271 said:
i accept the fact that road hogger is ought to be shot for causing congestion especially lane 1 is empty or > 4 cars length ahead is empty.
when all lanes are jammed at peak hour, whether there is road hogger or not ... that does not matter and cars try to squeeze into lane 4 to exit from lane 1/2 !!!
U can only see up to 1km away. Anything further is out of your range.

Just drop yr vote into the hammer box next time...hiadees.

I know some 'scholars' inside ELLTEEAA and what are their plans. >>>:shakebon::errrrrrr::bullshit::stfu:

OT..

ABD,

"I Hate 2 kind of DRIVERS, TAXI drivers and ........."

I like your sig remarks.......

LOL...didn't notice ABD's sig remark....tua kee....hahaha....but limp all the time. Kenn tell me one.

ACS6;586515 said:
LOL...didn't notice ABD's sig remark....tua kee....hahaha....but limp all the time. Kenn tell me one.

Kenn into Ang Moh these days? :whatthe: KNN I also dont want to give way to Kenn on the road liao.

How come Kenn knows its TUA KEE and NOT SWAY KEE ?:silenced:

Is he making sense?

ERP gantries in strange places

Thursday, 09 December 2010
Singapore Democrats

The recent increase in the ERP rates make absolutely no sense. Deterring motorists from using expressways only results in shunting vehicles to feeder roads, increasing more traveling time and greater consumption of petrol. The PAP is taking the lazy and easy way out of solving our traffic situation by simply penalising road users.

Without effective opposition in Parliament Minister for Transport Mr Raymond Lim has become callous in his implementation of the ERP system. Apart from the rates, Mr Lim has been erecting ERP gantries at the strangest of places.

Take, for example, the one at Bras Basah Road. The gantry is placed at the junction just before the turn into Selegie Road (circled in the picture on the right).

This means that motorists wanting to get out of the downtown area and who do not add to the congestion in the Central Business District also have to pay for the ERP.

A simple solution to this problem is to place the gantry after the traffic junction (red bar) which would allow vehicles turning into Prinsep Street avoid paying the ERP penalty while still catching those continuing along Bras Basah Road.

Is this callousness on the part of the Transport Ministry or was the gantry deliberately placed there for the sake of collecting more revenue.

Another example is the Bendemeer Road gantry. Placed at the junction shown below, the ERP catches vehicles going into the city from the MacPherson and Paya Lebar areas.

But it also penalises motorists who do not want to get into the city by taking the U-turn on Whampoa North and going towards Toa Payoh or Potong Pasir.

Similarly the gantry catches motorists turning into Geylang Bahru and not adding to the congestion downtown.

On the other hand, motorists joining the traffic on Bendemeer Road from Geylang Bahru do not pay the ERP even though they are adding to the congestion.

The placement of the gantry just a few hundred feet from its present (circled) location to the new one (red bar) would solve the problem. Again, is the Transport Ministry using the ERP as a cash cow?

This is where the opposition comes in. It needs to watch out and speak up on matters like this and keep the Minister on his toes. SDP parliamentarians will not be silent on such issues. If in parliament, we will press Mr Raymond Lim to rectify the problem.

Generally agree, aside to the politics stuffs.

I drive thru Bendemeer Road daily for >10yrs, there hv never been jams that jsutify a gantry. There are also gantries that were put up to surround the Kallang area which puzzles me till today.

kenntona;597435 said:
I
Take, for example, the one at Bras Basah Road. The gantry is placed at the junction just before the turn into Selegie Road (circled in the picture on the right).

This means that motorists wanting to get out of the downtown area and who do not add to the congestion in the Central Business District also have to pay for the ERP.

A simple solution to this problem is to place the gantry after the traffic junction (red bar) which would allow vehicles turning into Prinsep Street avoid paying the ERP penalty while still catching those continuing along Bras Basah Road.

there is a right turn at handy rd to avoid that ERP gantry. case closed unfortunately for him, but i salute his effort. yes maybe can b improved by moving gantry to the red bar, but think it wont make much diffcemce

hoks;597459 said:
Generally agree, aside to the politics stuffs.

I drive thru Bendemeer Road daily for >10yrs, there hv never been jams that jsutify a gantry. There are also gantries that were put up to surround the Kallang area which puzzles me till today.
I live on Upper Boon Keng Rd. KNN, it is a bloody ERP Island in the morning. Can only use bicycle.
Drive towards Boon Keng/Bendemeer. ERP starts from 8:30am
Drive towards Kallang Bahru. ERP starts from 8am.
Drive towards the city. It is even better. ERP in front of Riverine starts from 8:30am. If go towards Republic Boulevard, ERP in front of Crawford Underpass starts from 8am.
Drive on PIE towards Jurong. ERP starts from 7:30am.

Knn, everything going up except my salary....next year inflation 2.9% some more. Think I better start jogging coz even bicycles will soon be fitted with IUs.

davidtch;597496 said:
I live on Upper Boon Keng Rd. KNN, it is a bloody ERP Island in the morning. Can only use bicycle.
Drive towards Boon Keng/Bendemeer. ERP starts from 8:30am
Drive towards Kallang Bahru. ERP starts from 8am.
Drive towards the city. It is even better. ERP in front of Riverine starts from 8:30am. If go towards Republic Boulevard, ERP in front of Crawford Underpass starts from 8am.
Drive on PIE towards Jurong. ERP starts from 7:30am.

Exactly, and whats the purpose of all this when there is no jam to begin with?:furious:

ERP up up and away...wait, what's that in the sky? it's a bird...no, it's a plane...no, it's the satellite for GPS pricing...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
77betink

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back