Evo crashed killing taxi driver

Re: Evo crashed killing taxi driver

Rastaman;356048 said:
Have u guys recently observed at traffic lights these days thats there's a hell lot of drivers beating the red light including when turning ! and when its green for others to move off ....its so farking idiotic n dangerous n blatant disregard for other road users...i hope none of u guys do that, whats an additional 1 minute of waiting >??

I know u start braking to slow down even the light is green

R.I.P. to the poor driver. Very sorry to hear of such accidents. Good reminder to myself to drive safely too.

ryan;355709 said:
Despite how reckless taxi drivers can be, i don't think that this was the cause of the accident...if everyone stuck to their speed limits, vehicle impact shouldn't be that violent.
Absolutely agree.

fiercepink;355769 said:
Cabs are everywhere and they are extremely common in Singapore which increases the probability of you running into them, both reckless and careful ones. Say 40% of cabbies are reckless... I' m sure an equal percentage of drivers out are are equally reckless. Just my 2 cents...
Good comments FP. From my experiences, I find that most cab drivers are pretty good and safe drivers, i.e. they will signal, and their judgement is not bad. I'm sure many people will disagree with me, but that's my honest opinion.
Even the WRX, EVO drivers, most of them are drivers with good skills and do not endanger others.

To prove the above, there are cars everyday on the road that cut into lanes dangerously without signalling, comes out from small road at the wrong timing (i.e. due to poor judgement), these are the most common dangerous stunts I faced everyday on the road. And they are caused seldom by taxi drivers nor the WRX/EVO. But by normal drivers who drive normal cars.

That's my thinking.

Back to the accident, if that EVO 9 is really going anything above 80, it is certainly too fast on Somerset road, with the lighting conditions and the number of junctions. There may even be pedestrians crossing the road in the area, e.g. those watching midnight shows. Want to speed, he should at least do it somewhere else.

TripleM;356065 said:
I know u start braking to slow down even the light is green

i practise that too. in case the light turn to amber suddenly and also in case got some crazy guys beating the lights from the other side.

one more practise, when driving off from red lights, i will normally wait for 1 secs after the lights turn green. just in case someone try to beat the lights

hitmee;356103 said:
i practise that too. in case the light turn to amber suddenly and also in case got some crazy guys beating the lights from the other side.

one more practise, when driving off from red lights, i will normally wait for 1 secs after the lights turn green. just in case someone try to beat the lights

RIP to the deceased... may their deaths not be in vain

In many developing (and some third world) countries the lights have a countdown counter to indicate how long the green lights have remaining before the amber comes out, or how long the red light will last before it turns green.
This will prevent sudden light changes which catches people off guard.
Singapore is very slow to adopt some of these good practices (cost perhaps?)

Don't think raw speed is the problem... look at the autobahn (no speed limit in many sections but lowest death rates for any highway in the world). I have driven it couple of times myself and it is safe.
People who drive on the autobahn are all aware of the speed and what it means.
1) Two hands on the steering wheel at all times at speed. No stupid things like holding phone, ipod, lipstick, drink, cigarette.
2) Full concentration on road and road awareness.
3) No road hogging, overtake on fast lane and filter back to middle land immediately, until the next overtaking
4) Give way to faster car if it is possible
5) Slow down when signs call for it (no point having globally low speed limits if everyone thinks it is unreasonable... try driving at the speed limit on some roads, unrealistic and 99.99% of people are above it in normal driving) Better have realistic speed limits and people will slow down when you indicate so.
6) Better driver training... (weaving in and out of traffic, cutting across road divider/double white lines, no signal, never check blind spot etc... should all be punished).

Germany takes very very serious action against people who drive like idiots, not people who drive fast but safe on roads that allow it.

Contrary to what the TPs say, IMHO speed does not kill.... idiosy does.
They cannot look for people who drive link idiots so they think that if everyone drives at 10kmh no one will be injured... unrealistic

hitmee;356103 said:

Good habit
No wonder Terry says he can chiet you at traffic light.

Its sad to see 2 lifes gone in just minutes of time with the recklessness of such...

DRV;356138 said:
Don't think raw speed is the problem... look at the autobahn (no speed limit in many sections but lowest death rates for any highway in the world)

We're talking specifically about this incident and other related incidents, not about freeway incident/deaths per driven mile stats,etc.

Look at the context and all the circumstantial evidence. You just can't cause that level of damage and motion (flipping, etc) if you're travelling anywhere close to the speed limit at that location. Hopefully there are credible eye witnesses that will come forward.

this evo must have been going really really fast. given the normal reaction response from most drivers, the instinct would be to brake before a collision. seeing that the taxi flipped a few times, and that the impact speed would have (presumably) been retarded just before impact, the guy must have been going at crazy speeds just before...

in all my years doing accident claims, this is one of the most serious high-speed/small road collisions i have ever seen.

RIP...

cheers

Shaun;356174 said:
We're talking specifically about this incident and other related incidents, not about freeway incident/deaths per driven mile stats,etc.

Look at the context and all the circumstantial evidence. You just can't cause that level of damage and motion (flipping, etc) if you're travelling anywhere close to the speed limit at that location. Hopefully there are credible eye witnesses that will come forward.

Agreed... that's where the speed is PART OF the idiosy...
150 kmh on 60-70kmh road is crazy... and that part of road is not exactly the smoothest around.

As discussed, I would gladly welcome a separation of licenses like what we have for motorcycles ( class 2B, 2A and 2), with the condition that insurance premiums come down if commensurate ability is demonstrated.

Or why can't we just limit youngsters to cars with a reasonable bhp cap? For example we could restrict drivers who are below 30 years old to cars with < 200 bhp. It is a universal fact that risk appetite goes down as you age.

i've gone back to the other forum posted, and it seems more hearsay is popping up, with regards to the incident..

and now it's not the evo that was speeding down somerset but the taxi?

but i agree about capping new drivers to lower powered cars, since it seems the insurance premiums don't seem to deter a lot of them from getting such cars.. and end up the other drivers who appreciate the cars have to pay more as a result of others actions...

Remus325;356254 said:
Or why can't we just limit youngsters to cars with a reasonable bhp cap? For example we could restrict drivers who are below 30 years old to cars with < 200 bhp. It is a universal fact that risk appetite goes down as you age.
it is up to the insurance industry whether they choose to insure these guys or not. Government bars usually do not age well. The insurance people have the data and the mechanisms required.

centurion;356260 said:
it is up to the insurance industry whether they choose to insure these guys or not. Government bars usually do not age well. The insurance people have the data and the mechanisms required.

Many of these cars are bought under the names of their parents so as to secure the lower insurance premiums and ncd. Hence the insurance industry argument does not fly. The govt needs to bar kids from driving such high powered cars. But i don't think they will act until some minister's daughter or son gets killed by another rashful kid in a souped up bhp monster rounding orchard gudang.

insurance industry can enforce a NAMED DRIVER policy for certain high risk cars, eg. Porsche Turbo, Evo, STI, Golf GTI, R32, etc.

Is that not already the practice now?

In any case, the insurance industry can only penalize unnamed drivers if they are involved in an accident, otherwise how will the insurer know who is driving in the first place. Hence the penalty to an unnamed driver is low in expected terms.

Even if people do not exploit loop holes in the insurance policy there will always be young folks who can afford the high insurance premiums thx to mum and dad. It is not like a couple of accidents like this is going to cause premiums for evos to increase to 100k per annum.

C3P0;356096 said:
R.I.P. to the poor driver. Very sorry to hear of such accidents. Good reminder to myself to drive safely too.

Absolutely agree.

Good comments FP. From my experiences, I find that most cab drivers are pretty good and safe drivers, i.e. they will signal, and their judgement is not bad. I'm sure many people will disagree with me, but that's my honest opinion.
Even the WRX, EVO drivers, most of them are drivers with good skills and do not endanger others.

To prove the above, there are cars everyday on the road that cut into lanes dangerously without signalling, comes out from small road at the wrong timing (i.e. due to poor judgement), these are the most common dangerous stunts I faced everyday on the road. And they are caused seldom by taxi drivers nor the WRX/EVO. But by normal drivers who drive normal cars.

That's my thinking.

Back to the accident, if that EVO 9 is really going anything above 80, it is certainly too fast on Somerset road, with the lighting conditions and the number of junctions. There may even be pedestrians crossing the road in the area, e.g. those watching midnight shows. Want to speed, he should at least do it somewhere else.

well said....

Crufty Dusty;356215 said:
As discussed, I would gladly welcome a separation of licenses like what we have for motorcycles ( class 2B, 2A and 2), with the condition that insurance premiums come down if commensurate ability is demonstrated.

some years back i heard abt this rumour...

Remus325;356254 said:

Oi Remus! don't like that lah...

Pls la Yason, pp know you under 30 with >200hp , dunt have to be so obvious one. :rolleyes:

axl;356300 said:
Pls la Yason, pp know you under 30 with >200hp , dunt have to be so obvious one. :rolleyes:

i tot u are one of them... oops

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwinyoga

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back