• Classifieds Rules

For Sellers - Item Listing Requirements:
    1. List your price. *
    2. Show/attach images/photos of item. *
    3. Provide clear contact instructions (List phone number, email or PM).

*Required.

4. Private Sales Only.
    5. Relevant items only.
    6. No Indirect Advertising / Promoting Of Other Services and Companies
    7. Only members with 20 posts and more can start new threads
    8. No Thread Hijacking. Start your own Topic.
    9. Post only 1 Topic per sale. No cross-posting in other forums. No bumping of Topics more than once a day.
    10. Close your Topic after sale has been completed. (Click 'Administrative' on top of your thread for closing options)

We will remove threads if they do not list the above requirements.

For Buyers:
    1. Caveat Emptor - Before buying from user, do your homework. Check out the person's posting history, number of posts etc.
    2. This is a service we provide free and for the members convenience - we're not responsible for any deals gone bad.

For everyone else:
    1. No OT. They will be deleted. If you continue despite us warning you, we will ban you from the classifieds completely.
    2. Report all suspicious sellers. If you've seen or come across them from other boards/forums - do report them immediately - it will help everyone here a great deal.

Report all bad experiences (for both sellers/buyers) on the Buyer/Sellers forum.

Eyeing On Tis Car 318is Coupe

Re: Eyeing On Tis Car 318is Coupe

Back to what this bro was asking, is it a good buy?

Been hankering after an E36 coupe - so rare in Singapore right ... i'd love to have a good one and would swap my 4-door in a heartbeat for the right one. So went to take a look and this is what I can share:

- Paperwork exists for a $5,000 full engine overhaul in 2005, plus various other work. This is a good thing. Indicated mileage is low at abt 170K - but condition belies the age and makes me suspicious.

- Engine bay looks grotty, not very clean. Mods K&N filter, AC strut brace and AC exhaust system.

- Front wings both sides seem mis-aligned, just where the top corner meets bonnet/windshield. Suggests some history? Brings into question the engine overhaul, and at only 160K? shouldn't be so ...

- Pillar-less windows drop 1/4inch and pop back up nicely when open/close both door.

- Had a poor respray from original BLACK color to WHITE color. But open the bonnet/boot/doors etc you can see all the black still there. Also the new paint is a bit rough, oxidised in places and peeled on near-side wing. Could just need a serious cut'n'wax, still worst of it hidden by the fact it's white color...and Real shame it's not original black.

- Has several 'tacky' aftermarket add-ons, cheap front spoiler, M3 mirror, REAL CRAPPY kick plates, white dials door handles and a GNARLY steering wheel! Also original exterior running strips with neat M/// logos gone for nasty aftermarket 'M Tech' ones - why? Would look to change all this ASAP and respray if I got this car.

- Interior is a bit rough, belies the low mileage of the car.

- Very nice looking ICE, huge amp in the boot.

- Owner overseas, car in consignment. Not bin drivin much lately.

- Sounds rough on cold start, settled into good enough idle once warmed up, see previous post explains these cars idle rough anyway.

- Took for a quick drive around the lot (can't go on road, no inspec/tax or something yet).
It's been lowered beyond standard, so probably lost it's original M-Tech suspension set up. Bottoms out on speed hump with a nasty clonk! Clutch has nice bite and gearbox feels tight.

CONCLUSIONS
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Difficult without full on road test, probably drives pretty nice. Seems mechanically sound I guess, wouldn't pass judgement without FULL inspection by BMW technician.

Assuming good mech, I'd STILL want a big chunk off the ask price (which is 28K) for new (black) paint, get all tacky bits of and replace with original, replace seams around windows, a few other things...

Personally, I'm not interested unless the price is significantly reduced so this car can be brought up to scratch. Don't get suckered just cus this ride is so rare. No one in with half a brain would touch this if it had 2 extra doors, there would be just too many better (4 door) examples. They ask almost 28K, and if this was for sale in my home country (UK), it wouldn't fetch more than 2.8K !!

Not all loss - I might even still have it myself if the deal is right, but I'm not too hopefull that's gonna happen with Manhatten.

I got my E36 325i from Manhatten - didn't have too much bother with them apart from when they tried adding back on 2K previously negotiated off the price as 'admin charges'. Yeah I don't trust them hugely but was OK in the end if you watch your dealings with them and lay it on the line. Also today they told me maybe my car could trade for 14K. WTF? I gave them 22K for it last November!!!!!

Hope this helps!

Come and take a look at mine:
HTML:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/singapore_walker/sets/72157594526051271/

Oh and all this about old cars? Don't care how much money I have, when new BMW's cost what they do here. Right, my 16yr old 325i starts everytime, drives like a dream and sounds awesome with it's straight 6. Can you seriously tell me your brand new 320i is $120,000 better? Better maybe, better dynamics, refinement and that. But $120,000 better? NOPE.:juggle:

thanks for the write up on the coupe..saves the rest of us some trouble to go check it out.
haha i've a feelin i know who you are dude...
yours is a black 325i?

and yup u're right bout manhattan...don't trust them much either..

jason3s;201995 said:
thanks for the write up on the coupe..saves the rest of us some trouble to go check it out.
haha i've a feelin i know who you are dude...
yours is a black 325i?

and yup u're right bout manhattan...don't trust them much either..

Hrm....the dunno about manhattan but I dont trust the car sales company that starts with an Ig_ _ _ _ r z. Also tried to add back macam macam "admin" and gst charges into the price. What a con job. If can start my BMW ownership experience again, I will buy direct from owner ah. Nuff said.

haha oops....wrong person then!!

for those who are interested in buying E36, do take note that the mileage on the odometer is easily adjusted. I have discover many dealers doing it. One of them is a black IsCoupe with 300,000++ km on it and a week later, I saw it with 160,000++km including a new paint job.

Beware beware. you could be buying a 15 yr old car with a 30 yr old engine!!!

30yr old engine?

One way is swapping the instrumental panel.
When I bought the car it is 151k km. Can anyone explain when I do a test on all the gauge on the instrumental panel by turning key and press the reset button, mileage shown is 364+k km which is different from mileage display on panel. :screwedu: but log book shows 5 yrs done only 80k km recorded by PML. So after 10 yrs done only 151k ? is that possible?

the 364k km did not change from day 1 when I bought the car. So what is this mileage ?:screwedu:

That's the first 3 digit the next time you go Q up for 4-D.. the final digit you have to sort it out yourself. If you really run out of idea, you may ask the counter auntie.. "ah.. today is how many days after your last period ah?" for some numeral inspiration.. kekekeke..

Mockngbrd;202791 said:
30yr old engine?

What is meant was that it may have done so many miles, it's equivalent 30 yrs of mileage.

20,000 X 30 yrs= 600,000km

JadedM3;199501 said:
Buy it man! :lol2:

You're only paying like $17K+ for a 15 yr old body with a questionable engine and interior... the E36 Coupe is a nice ride, but for that kind of price it had better be in perfect condition! Otherwise, doing it up properly could easily exceed the amount you've spent paying for the body excluding its papervalue.

If you buy it, unless already done in last 2 years, immediately change the entire cooling system - top & bottom hoses, thermostat, radiator assembly, radiator cap (if not included in raditator assembly). About $450 in parts. Buy from well-known parts trader in Serangoon Road.

Cooling system is most likely to fail in a disastrous (and very expensive) fashion. Others will fail more slowly - i.e. you will notice.

When you test drive the car, any problems should be reasonably apparent - strange engine noises, oil seepage, weird vibrations, knocking noises from suspension, etc.

I took one car to the AAS for an inspection - was not very impressed. They couldn't even tell me it'd been crashed (as I later discovered - lucky I didn't buy it).

Expect to spend money on an older car - its normal. But you would never need to spend as much as the poster above suggests. Maybe a few grand at the most - if you're very picky & like to have a well-sorted ride.

GTV6;200791 said:
Quite some critique on the M42 plant...give my version. The 16V unit is a highly dependable workhorse that provides power on the tap. With careful mtce, the engine can be a real gem. Mines going very strong at 290k, no oil consumption. Compared to the M40 8v unit, the 16v has forged internals...fully counterweighted forged crankshaft and con rod, plus oil jets shooting at the piston skirts for lubrication and cooling!! All these for effortless 200kmh on the highway...as with all high performance engines; you need to watch out for negligence and abuse. Run the radiator dry and you lose the cyl head for certain. Check for oil leaks at the gaskets, sure signs of blow-by that the engine is tired. Listen for any rattling, chain and tensioner may be going or may be a lazy tappet....good luck and have fun!

Agree - mine is high mileage also but seems strong as the day it was made. Cold start, no weird noises - no piston slap, no tappet noise, nothing.

Since the last oil change nearly 5000kms ago, it has used virually no oil at all. Colour is still quite clear. Seems a solid motor.

rosswalker;201978 said:
Back to what this bro was asking, is it a good buy?

Been hankering after an E36 coupe - so rare in Singapore right ... i'd love to have a good one and would swap my 4-door in a heartbeat for the right one. So went to take a look and this is what I can share:

- Paperwork exists for a $5,000 full engine overhaul in 2005, plus various other work. This is a good thing. Indicated mileage is low at abt 170K - but condition belies the age and makes me suspicious.

- Engine bay looks grotty, not very clean. Mods K&N filter, AC strut brace and AC exhaust system.

- Front wings both sides seem mis-aligned, just where the top corner meets bonnet/windshield. Suggests some history? Brings into question the engine overhaul, and at only 160K? shouldn't be so ...

- Pillar-less windows drop 1/4inch and pop back up nicely when open/close both door.

- Had a poor respray from original BLACK color to WHITE color. But open the bonnet/boot/doors etc you can see all the black still there. Also the new paint is a bit rough, oxidised in places and peeled on near-side wing. Could just need a serious cut'n'wax, still worst of it hidden by the fact it's white color...and Real shame it's not original black.

- Has several 'tacky' aftermarket add-ons, cheap front spoiler, M3 mirror, REAL CRAPPY kick plates, white dials door handles and a GNARLY steering wheel! Also original exterior running strips with neat M/// logos gone for nasty aftermarket 'M Tech' ones - why? Would look to change all this ASAP and respray if I got this car.

- Interior is a bit rough, belies the low mileage of the car.

- Very nice looking ICE, huge amp in the boot.

- Owner overseas, car in consignment. Not bin drivin much lately.

- Sounds rough on cold start, settled into good enough idle once warmed up, see previous post explains these cars idle rough anyway.

- Took for a quick drive around the lot (can't go on road, no inspec/tax or something yet).
It's been lowered beyond standard, so probably lost it's original M-Tech suspension set up. Bottoms out on speed hump with a nasty clonk! Clutch has nice bite and gearbox feels tight.

CONCLUSIONS
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Difficult without full on road test, probably drives pretty nice. Seems mechanically sound I guess, wouldn't pass judgement without FULL inspection by BMW technician.

Assuming good mech, I'd STILL want a big chunk off the ask price (which is 28K) for new (black) paint, get all tacky bits of and replace with original, replace seams around windows, a few other things...

Personally, I'm not interested unless the price is significantly reduced so this car can be brought up to scratch. Don't get suckered just cus this ride is so rare. No one in with half a brain would touch this if it had 2 extra doors, there would be just too many better (4 door) examples. They ask almost 28K, and if this was for sale in my home country (UK), it wouldn't fetch more than 2.8K !!

Not all loss - I might even still have it myself if the deal is right, but I'm not too hopefull that's gonna happen with Manhatten.

I got my E36 325i from Manhatten - didn't have too much bother with them apart from when they tried adding back on 2K previously negotiated off the price as 'admin charges'. Yeah I don't trust them hugely but was OK in the end if you watch your dealings with them and lay it on the line. Also today they told me maybe my car could trade for 14K. WTF? I gave them 22K for it last November!!!!!

Hope this helps!

Come and take a look at mine:
HTML:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/singapore_walker/sets/72157594526051271/

Oh and all this about old cars? Don't care how much money I have, when new BMW's cost what they do here. Right, my 16yr old 325i starts everytime, drives like a dream and sounds awesome with it's straight 6. Can you seriously tell me your brand new 320i is $120,000 better? Better maybe, better dynamics, refinement and that. But $120,000 better? NOPE.:juggle:

The eternal debate - buy old & cheap, or new & expensive.

My first car - a 1969 Fiat 124 coupe - cost me AUD$900 when I was 16, and I'm still buying (and loving) older cars - so you could say I'm a sucker for punishment!

"black IsCoupe with 300,000++ km on it and a week later, I saw it with 160,000++km including a new paint job."

was the new paint job white? then it must be this car we're discussing!

Throttle;202723 said:
for those who are interested in buying E36, do take note that the mileage on the odometer is easily adjusted. I have discover many dealers doing it. One of them is a black IsCoupe with 300,000++ km on it and a week later, I saw it with 160,000++km including a new paint job.

Beware beware. you could be buying a 15 yr old car with a 30 yr old engine!!!

Always felt that this was a real possibility......The above statement just nailed it....
Another low sales tactic.....!

rosswalker;203376 said:
"black IsCoupe with 300,000++ km on it and a week later, I saw it with 160,000++km including a new paint job."

was the new paint job white? then it must be this car we're discussing!

nope paint job was black still. but i memorised the licence plate. SCG ........

anone wnats to know the full licence plate can PM me.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OneTab
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back