F10 - Misfire on engine

Re: F10 - Misfire on engine

Arowana76;1013871 said:
Anyway I m still contemplating whether I should take out mine... Mine was a used one which I bought 2 month ago... So far ( touch wood n forest) no problem. But I dun really push the car. Only once in a while, rev it to clear some carbon...

just rev it..........................

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

To all bros, i went down to workshop today and seen it with my own eyes, piston ring cracked and confirmed gone case. changing the whole piston plus ecu.... NO MORE JUICE BOX for me! WTF. I keep telling myself nothing to do with the box,,,,,,, is it true? i am cheating myself!

So sorry to hear that... Din mind if i ask a insensitive ques... You r using juice box or ks module?

Kltan;1013730 said:
F10 520i
About 6month ago
Bought new

Thank you for the info. It will be helpful.

For your car, is it a case of misfiring caused by faulty coils/plugs or need engine overhaul?

ngalan;1013880 said:
To all bros, i went down to workshop today and seen it with my own eyes, piston ring cracked and confirmed gone case. changing the whole piston plus ecu.... NO MORE JUICE BOX for me! WTF. I keep telling myself nothing to do with the box,,,,,,, is it true? i am cheating myself!

Why is the changing of ECU necessary?

Till this point of time, there is still no concrete prove to pinpoint the cause to the piggyback.

Slow_poke_driver;1013701 said:
I read and read also still see TS confirmed it is.

Slow_poke_driver;1013768 said:
Meaning of it? Read the sentence before it, instead of selectively quoting.

So it is:

1. Workshop confirmed piston gone because of KS piggyback, workshop later said could not be KS piggyback cos car should goes into limp mode; OR
2. TS (himself) confirmed piston gone because of KS piggyback, workshop later said could not be KS piggyback cos car should goes into limp mode; OR
3. TS said that workshop confirmed piston gone because of KS piggyback, workshop later said could not be KS piggyback cos car should goes into limp mode

Which is which? Or the above is not what you are trying to say?

:thinking:

snowdog;1013954 said:
So it is:

1. Workshop confirmed piston gone because of KS piggyback, workshop later said could not be KS piggyback cos car should goes into limp mode; OR
2. TS (himself) confirmed piston gone because of KS piggyback, workshop later said could not be KS piggyback cos car should goes into limp mode; OR
3. TS said that workshop confirmed piston gone because of KS piggyback, workshop later said could not be KS piggyback cos car should goes into limp mode

Which is which? Or the above is not what you are trying to say?

:thinking:

TS (himself) confirmed piston gone because of KS piggyback. Others with similar problem jumped in.
Workshop that did that diagnosis of piston gone later said could not be KS piggyback cos car should goes into limp mode.

Honestly, instead of beating on this, maybe it might be better to focus on the actual issue.

If you read post #45, I agree that tuning box may not be the culprit. I must admit that I know very little and that I may be oversimplifying things. But imo, if there is any mis-firing, the knock sensors should have detected it, then the dme will drop the boost, pull the timing, and reduce power, isn't it?

Assuming it is just little knocks, when the dme detects those, it trys to reduce boost and power. Since a typical tuning box that also connects to the boost pressure sensor cheats the dme into think the boost is lower than it really is, the boost may still end up higher than the engine think it is. However, if knocking continues, the dme will further reduce boost and power. So end of the day, everything will still go back to a safe level, despite the boost and TMAP sensor readings not accurately reflected to the car.

Assuming it goes into limp mode, then it is probably even safer. I mean, anyone who has experienced it will know how little power the engine makes in limp mode, so little that there is probably no boost. Therefore, a typical tuning box that "cheats" the dme at the boost pressure sensor will probably have no effect at all...

I could be very wrong though.

Slow_poke_driver;1013971 said:
TS (himself) confirmed piston gone because of KS piggyback. Others with similar problem jumped in.
Workshop that did that diagnosis of piston gone later said could not be KS piggyback cos car should goes into limp mode.

Honestly, instead of beating on this, maybe it might be better to focus on the actual issue.

If you read post #45, I agree that tuning box may not be the culprit. I must admit that I know very little and that I may be oversimplifying things. But imo, if there is any mis-firing, the knock sensors should have detected it, then the dme will drop the boost, pull the timing, and reduce power, isn't it?

Assuming it is just little knocks, when the dme detects those, it trys to reduce boost and power. Since a typical tuning box that also connects to the boost pressure sensor cheats the dme into think the boost is lower than it really is, the boost may still end up higher than the engine think it is. However, if knocking continues, the dme will further reduce boost and power. So end of the day, everything will still go back to a safe level, despite the boost and TMAP sensor readings not accurately reflected to the car.

Assuming it goes into limp mode, then it is probably even safer. I mean, anyone who has experienced it will know how little power the engine makes in limp mode, so little that there is probably no boost. Therefore, a typical tuning box that "cheats" the dme at the boost pressure sensor will probably have no effect at all...

I could be very wrong though.

Thank you for the clarification. It is all clear now.

interestingly what may be the problem that causes the misfiring?
engine design problem? turbo...that leads to it?

jonleeck;1014041 said:

An engine cylinder misfiring can happen because if the spark, air filter or internal combustion are missing or occur at an incorrect time, the cylinder can misfire. The timing belt is also a part of of an internal combustion engine that controls the timing of the engine's valves.

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

jonleeck;1014041 said:

Walao, how many times you wanna ask?

Any engine, probable causes are: spark plugs/ignition coils, injectors, HPFP/LPFP, intake valves, vanos solenoid....

Watch this:

AskCOBB Episode 2 - BMW Misfire Diagnosis and Repair - YouTube

hahahaa.....KENN!
tonight face to face i ask u again!
still have many doubts....

Perhaps TS can tell us more details on his case.
I think details like how TS knows engine is misfiring and how much longer did he drive after knowing its misfiring.
Did workshop or TS remove module and test car in stock tune for misfiring before confirming the cause?
What other stuff did TS mod into his car other than KS module ?

Dun think its right to pinpoint the fault on KS module just because TS use it and the engine piangz.
Even if there are 3 users here using KS module with engine problem does not means its the cause.

If i try to load lots of mod into my car and squeeze out 2x the power then the engine blow, can i blame the mod parts manufacturer ?
I am just giving am example, not saying TS mod so heavily

Seems that still inconclusive if KS module is or is not the cause.
My KS module still seating at the workshop after removing to go back PML for some re-programming. Hanging on for a while before putting back.
Hope workshop can provide some resolution, and peace of mind for existing and future KS module customers.

Any update so far? Is KS module the cause?

Did any bros out there receive drivetrain message with piggyback installed?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
77betink

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back