F30 Build Quality

Re: F30 Build Quality

davidtch;941908 said:
Well, i would not say that MKII IS is an glorified Toyota as there is no duplicate lineup in Toyota. In addition, Toyota Tahara Plant is highly regarded in term of product quality.

Lastly, at least Lexus has a halo car call LFA. I will wait till neck long long still have not see any replacement for E26 M1 or E31.

Toyota duplicate or not, you missed my main pt, IS is due for new cycle soon in MY2014. Test mule is all over the place. No point buying the old IS now.

Maybe can wait half year for the new IS, see how it fares against F30 and other competitor.

Last edited by a moderator:

tortoise;942043 said:
I dun think there's any problem with F30 engine stuff. My only complain is on the wind noise and occasional suspension knock noise but otherwise everything's fine.

I second that, bloody noises, but the wind noise is still lower than my 135 though... engine wise, only time will tell, lets just hope the N54 HPFP saga won't repeat again. The N55 fared pretty well in term of power and reliability, N20/26 so far no problem yet. I think BMW has done well in improving their turbo engine reliability.

davidtch;942011 said:
Mark X is not Toyota equivalent. If Mark X is the Toyota equivalent, that would include Toyota GS. Mark X has a long line heritage that starts from Mark II in the 60s. While IS/Altezza is new product line. IS/Altezza is benchmark against E36. That's why both IS/Altezza & E36 has IL-6 (which was the last in Toyota lineup). My fav is Altezza RS with 210hp.

Toyota Altezza = Lexus IS
Toyota Aristo = Lexus GS
Toyota Celsior = Lexus LS

i add one more: Toyota Windom = Lexus ES300 :laughlik:
but i really used to thk IS 250 is Mark X. the same engine, the same FR layout.

davidtch;942011 said:
My fav is Altezza RS with 210hp.

Hot rod, highly tuned 4 pot with + and - button built in the steering wheel.
Was salivating over it when i was at the PI with my dad but he chosen the camry cos same price but bigger

eiffel76;942113 said:

Mark X have IS250 engine and layout but GS wheelbase.
Suppose its a model on its own.

wkwlb said:
Why buy a glorified toyota?

Is Lotus a glorified Toyota?

wkwlb;942067 said:
Toyota duplicate or not, you missed my main pt, IS is due for new cycle soon in MY2014. Test mule is all over the place. No point buying the old IS now.

Maybe can wait half year for the new IS, see how it fares against F30 and other competitor.
I beg to differ. Car that is at the tail end of product cycle is always the most reliable one.

eiffel76;942113 said:
Mark X, IS & GS is developed from the same chassis.

kenntona;942148 said:
Is Lotus a glorified Toyota?

No, it's a glorified Proton...

F30 Build Quality

tortoise;942043 said:
I dun think there's any problem with F30 engine stuff. My only complain is on the wind noise and occasional suspension knock noise but otherwise everything's fine.

Agree totally bro . Actually for me N55 damm good but like you only problems with wind and suspension noises lor. Other than that the car is shiokest : )

davidtch;942161 said:
I beg to differ. Car that is at the tail end of product cycle is always the most reliable one.

Reliability wise, true. Financially not wise though, imagine the deprecation on your car once new model hits, when your car is only a couple months old, it is already obsolete. It is more obvious given the context in Singapore, the yearly dep is huge and you spend big money buying technology that is years old.

I will never do that unless it is real classic or exotic...

wkwlb;942070 said:
I second that, bloody noises, but the wind noise is still lower than my 135 though... engine wise, only time will tell, lets just hope the N54 HPFP saga won't repeat again. The N55 fared pretty well in term of power and reliability, N20/26 so far no problem yet. I think BMW has done well in improving their turbo engine reliability.

Hi bro.. when u say N55.. is this engine used by all F30s or just the 335i?

Wad about the 316i? isit the same reliable engine?

wkwlb;942070 said:

Wad about the 316i? isit the same reliable engine-N55?

prasanth1;942452 said:

Wad about the 316i? isit the same reliable engine?
What's the point of buying 316 with current COE price? Why not 320?

ya man.. was considering road tax but it wont be significant anymore comparing it with the current COE

prasanth1;942457 said:
ya man.. Was considering road tax but it wont be significant anymore comparing it with the current coe
1.6l: $743
2l: $1,343

Can probably save $100/mth petrol as well. Haha

Cat A and B used to be almost par.

F30 320 and 328 has the N20 engine (2L turbo, 4 cylinders)

F30 335 has the N55 engine (3L turbo, 6 cylinders)

Not sure abt the F30 316 though...

prasanth1;942453 said:

Wad about the 316i? isit the same reliable engine-N55?

Not all 3 series are made in south africa.

many people here with 3 series have chassis numbers pointing to Germany...

my F30 came from the Munich plant.

prasanth1;941459 said:
hi guys..

All 3 series are built in South Africa. I just called and spoke directly to a Sales Person and thats what he mentioned.

I am intending to get the 316i & have never owned a BMW..

any advice on reliabilty or engine issues?

best regards,
Shan

scubawun;942508 said:
F30 320 and 328 has the N20 engine (2L turbo, 4 cylinders)

F30 335 has the N55 engine (3L turbo, 6 cylinders)

Not sure abt the F30 316 though...

Last time I checked, it will come with same 2.0L engine with lower tune. Therefore road tax wise it's the same.

However, BMW said the new 1.5L 3pot will apply to all series below 5 series, I guess the 316i will use that plant in next model year.

scubawun;942511 said:
Not all 3 series are made in south africa.

many people here with 3 series have chassis numbers pointing to Germany...

my F30 came from the Munich plant.

You are lucky...

wkwlb;942543 said:
Last time I checked, it will come with same 2.0L engine with lower tune. Therefore road tax wise it's the same.

However, BMW said the new 1.5L 3pot will apply to all series below 5 series, I guess the 316i will use that plant in next model year.

You are lucky...

316 will come with turbo charged 1.6L engine codename N13, not 2L N20

New 3 cyl 1.5L engine codename B38 will be used for FWD BMW, not sure if it will goes into F30.

The first few months supply of F30 are from Germany, some lucky, some not (like rusty seat etc)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789clubgamee
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back