Fuel consumption on E90 320i

daveths

Hi guys, what level is your fuel consumption rate for your E90 320i?

I've changed the unit of display to km/L and it's showing 7.6 km/L. Is this low? By the way, just collected car 2 weeks ago and the milege is only ~700km. Will the fuel consumption improve after run-in?

Also, is there anything to improve the fuel consumption? Like pivot voltage stabiliser, broquet, grounding, air filter, etc

Re: Fuel consumption on E90 320i

can i add on to dave's query by ask if choosing 95 over 98 would reduce FC as indicated in brochure? many tks

Relax, your car is still new that's why the FC is so high.... travel longer distance and gradually push the throttle on the expressway to enjoy your new car! After a few months, I think FC should go up to around 9-10 km/l for stock tyres with RFs and lower to around 8-9 km/l for 17 inches. Again these depends on how light footed you drive and your urban/highway driving mix.

gadgets said:
can i add on to dave's query by ask if choosing 95 over 98 would reduce FC as indicated in brochure? many tks

The E90 is tuned to run on 98, so if you use 95, the car will not be at its best. The sensor will sense the octane/ron level and retard the ignition timing.

althaus said:
Relax, your car is still new that's why the FC is so high.... travel longer distance and gradually push the throttle on the expressway to enjoy your new car! After a few months, I think FC should go up to around 9-10 km/l for stock tyres with RFs and lower to around 8-9 km/l for 17 inches. Again these depends on how light footed you drive and your urban/highway driving mix.

Wah bro, like that since I'll be changing to 18' rims liao lah! Seriously, my SE was telling me he is also running on 18's and he did not suffer that much in FC, perhaps a 3 to 5% increase!? But take off will be slightly retarded, or so he said. Well, I was also told by someone our stock alloys plus RFTs are very heavy. Anyone can comment further? TIA

I do not think the E90 is tune to 98 or 95. It can run perfectly on either one. But you will realised that you will get a better milage and a slight more power if you use 98. Of course you will pay more if you use 98. Am I correct? :singsing:

If I am not wrong, E90 is actually able to take in fuels as low as 92 octane level rating... dunno if I read wrongly from manual or not...Anyways I think 95 or 98 is just fine for E90, but whether lower octane increases FC, I am not sure.

And a larger rim size will definitely make the car slower in starting. This makes me more prone to pushing the throttle harder, and thus higher fuel consumption for me... makes sense?

US octane ratings are not the same as the RON ratings over here in singapore.

RON means Research Octane Number. This is the octane number from a lab only burn.
MON is the Motor Octane Number. This is the octane number from testing the fuel in a car.

The US uses AKI. the Anti Knock Index is calculated by the average of RON and MON and this is the Octane number that's refered to in your car's manual.

in summary: locally, RON 95 is as low as you should go. our RON98 is the equivalent of 93 Octane over in the US.

tks louis for the insight. i have tried 95 & 98 on my jap ride and each time 95 gets better mileage. i suppose the bimmer is diff so looks like it will be 98 then.

like beng and murphys, i'm curious too how we could switch meter to read km/ltr instead. tia

err hmm lets side track a bit....just came back from shell with a full tank..kekekeke:lol2:

At the station, I did my bi-weekly diligent tyre pressure check. When I say check, I simply mean i set the pressure up and shaft it in the wheel nozzle.......hence if the pressure was still sufficient, normally not a lot of new air is added. I find that usually the pressure lost in the e90 stock rim/tyre is very very little...good!

Tonight I decided to try something in view of my 'virgin-2006' trip to malaysia soon. Upon checking the air pressure guide sticker on the drivers side, which reads 200/220 psA for front/rear stock tyres for up to 4 adults carrying load[this is usually what i pump], I also noticed another reading of 220/240 or something like that if u put on extra load.

Then i walk a few steps to teh side n view my tyre....dont like its shape :screwedu: The guy at the station told me can increase the pressure a bit more. So i pump 205/225 :) ......

ar hah.....the drive seems to be better n feels lighter overall !!! :woowooo: Was is a fluke? Let me monitor the FC for next few days since I ve been told tyre pressure insufficient can affect FC

Beng,

Enjoy yr ride up north :) . I have driven mine up to Kedah this year which I usually do every year and found that they have quite a number of e90s up there already.
Maintain constant 110-130 shld be quite comfortable. I think FC avg about 11.7 km/l on NS (16 stock tires). Now my FC dropped to 9.5 km/l (18" on 60% hway).

Henry1515 said:
I do not think the E90 is tune to 98 or 95. It can run perfectly on either one. But you will realised that you will get a better milage and a slight more power if you use 98. Of course you will pay more if you use 98. Am I correct? :singsing:

Extracted from the E90 brochure.....

"The petrol engines are designed for RON 98 fuel. They may be run on RON 95 or RON 91 fuel with a decrease in engine power and in increase in fuel consumption."

What is RON 98 in our local context? (See Louis' post above)

Dear Achtung

Which page number does it appear? I am very keen? Thanks.:nehnehhh:

[QUOTE

like beng and murphys, i'm curious too how we could switch meter to read km/ltr instead. tia[/QUOTE]

Go to MENU>CONFIG>CONSUME

Then choose between L/100km or km/l or mpg by turning the right knob to select

After you have finalised, press on the right knob to confirm.

Then back to home by pressing AUDIO

Thats it!

Henry1515 said:
Dear Achtung

Which page number does it appear? I am very keen? Thanks.:nehnehhh:

Its a footnote :lol2: on the page that has the car measurements. (i.e. one of the last few pages)

My Bimmer always gives better FC on 95. After chipping still the same , 95 better FC. Could'nt believe it at first. About 50km diff per tank. Wife's IS 250 avg FC 11km/l, or 9.2 l/100km, not bad for 1.6 tonnes and 208ps. Friend's car( same as wife's) and stock standard g-teched 0-60mph @ 7.8secs.

sorry for multiple posts. something went wrong with mouse.........

Hi Bro

Has anyone fitted "Broquet " in their E90 320i? It claimed to save fuel and offer more "horses". Is it true? Can someone comment on this?:laughlik:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
11sin88com
Back