Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups

Fuel consumption on E90 320i

Re: Fuel consumption on E90 320i

im driving a 320i with sprint boosters and 18in ACtype5 rims.. im getting around 10.5km/l... before change rims was getting 11.3km/l...
my 2cts worth

racingaprilia, what petrol are you using? Is that an e90 or e46? agressive driving? I am slow driver but still can't better yours at all!

Hi bros,

Just pump 8000 last night and OBC registers 9.2km/l, a .1 diff over V Pwr. Same driving style, infact a tad more aggressive. Could feel it is smoother too. Anyone experienced the same? And why?
Cheers.

I find caltex platinum to give fairly poor fc. However, there is a discernible quietness in the engine. Just did manual compilation adn realised that my FC is 8.5 as opposed to 7.1 as indicated by the OBC...this is based on a manual calculation and average over the last 4 pumps. total distance travelled divided by the fuel utilised

Hi all,

I have the same queries on the fuel consumption.. I just got the car ( no modification done ) for about 1 month+ now and my mileage is about 2k. I have tried pumping shell 98, 95, V power, Esso 98( which seems smoother /slightly more powerful). Initially, I can clock about 8.5-9 km/l before 1k with 98 & with 95 though not as smooth but slightly better FC. For V power, it is definitely smoother & more powerful & u do not have to step so hard on the accelerator but FC is less about 8-8.5 km/l
Strangely, since 2-3 weeks back, after my mileage crosses 1k, the FC dropped quite badly I observed with v power it dropped to 6.5 -7 km/l and with 98 it dropped to 7-7.5 km /l !

I was told by the PML sales rep that BMW do not need engine run in and was told since it is a new car, unadvisable to pump 95. Is it true?
I thought should not the car clock better mileage after clocking over 1 km?
Do we really need to wait till the mileage cross 5 km before it can give better mileage?
My friend was telling me new BMW has some kind of engine tuning and so need to be sent back to PML for tuning according to the engine octane that u are driving. True?
Anyone has tried the turbonator that was advertised on this forum?

Any comments or any one whom has just got the car just like me has the same observation!
I am perplexed!!!!...

Thanks all fellow bro and sis out there first...

After reading this thread, I am beginning to worry. I am driving a 3 week old E90 323 and the OBC is reading 6.4km/l and I only got 410 km on my last full tank. This sounds really bad from the other numbers I have seen on this thread. Is there something wrong? I am not particularly heavy footed and got the sprint booster only for a week. Can anyone help explain why I am getting such a low reading? I mean it is even lower than my WRX Sti I was driving before this. Thanks.

Sting;145145 said:
After reading this thread, I am beginning to worry. I am driving a 3 week old E90 323 and the OBC is reading 6.4km/l and I only got 410 km on my last full tank. This sounds really bad from the other numbers I have seen on this thread. Is there something wrong? I am not particularly heavy footed and got the sprint booster only for a week. Can anyone help explain why I am getting such a low reading? I mean it is even lower than my WRX Sti I was driving before this. Thanks.

Me too driving e90 323 and the OBC reading is 7.1km/l. Running on 18' non run flat tyres. :whythis:

I'm driving an E90 320i, with Sprint Booster and K&N Filter installed, with Caltex Platinium, can get 10.2 km/l. Half tank already can clock about 350km. I drive to the airport quite often (via TPE), about 3 times a week but on the other days, I do go city driving as well.

Running on 18", Goodyear Eagle F1 tires. Had 9.6 km/l before I did my first oil change at 2500km.

tansiong;145182 said:
Me too driving e90 323 and the OBC reading is 7.1km/l. Running on 18' non run flat tyres. :whythis:
Hello again! So you got your car, congrats! Anyway, you get 7.1 and I have been driving for 3 weeks and it still says 6.4. Actually it was 6.2 then now it is 6.4. Any cause for concern?

Guys I am not sure if this could be the reason but check with other e90 drivers of same models eg 323 vs 323 for apple/apple comparison. I reckon it has something to do with the runflat rims and tyres than come standard on your cars. My 320i was on 16" RFTs (yeah only 16) and the FC was like 8+ km/l. I switched to 19" BBS rims and goodyear conventional tyres and this is a 3-up rim size increase. The FC remained same more or less depending how I drive.

Also I find the RFTs 16"(maybe bcos they are narrower) doesnt give that good a grip n one has tendency to ram the throttle harder for acceleration so FC goes up, as least in my case. With wider/lighter tyres, I need not be so heavy footed altho I still am :)

Hi Larry,

You mentioned the following in your above post. Did I read correctly?

"Running on 18", Goodyear Eagle F1 tires. Had 9.6 km/l before I did my first oil change at 2500km."

I thought for E90 320i, the first servicing is 25000km???!!! why did you have your first oil change at 2500?

ALL, Please enlighten.

Thanks!

Like Larry, I also have K&N filter and sprint booster.......but with stock rim and RFT tires and using Esso 8000!!!

km/l only 9.8.......wtf

does anyone know why is the RFT tires so inefficient? I kept it stock thinking that it will be good for my FC....but think I am terribly wrong

Hi Remus,

Yes, you are right that the first servicing is done, based on your on board computer, at about 25,000km. Mine reads 29,000 currently.

However, I have read many threads here in this forum and was advised to do an initial oil change within the first 5,000km, basically, after running in the car. My rationale is that while running in, there are metal bits and stuff that's running through your oil system, and would you want these bits to be running through your engines for the next 1-2 years?

So, after speaking to a few of the other forum guys, I decided to do an oil change ahead of schedule, without resetting the OBC. Am using Super Titanium Plus oil, if you wanna know... Hope this answers your queries.

Eldwin, I think that the FC could be due to the additional weight of the RFT. Though this could be offset by the lack of the spare tyre... But I did find the RFT to be noiser and causes stiffer steering than my current setup.

Cheers,
Larry

Yes, yes, there is a difference of driving feel after I changed my RFTs to normal 18" tires. Feels much better eg feedback, grip. BUT my consumption is still in the 6s. Was 6.2 with 17" RFTs and now is 6.4 km/l. Still concerned about my consumption being in the 6s. Cheers!

Fuel consumption on any car cannot be discussed objectively without understanding why one's driving condition and pattern. One thing for sure, the car's consumption will not be better if you are always driving in a start -stop road condition. Another observation I made was that the waits in jams, traffic lights etc consume more fuel and made fuel consumption numbers worse off...sometimes not even enough to compensate for the highway cruising.
My BMW is not very fuel friendly in the above start-stop, waiting situations and hence my number varies between 7.7km per litre to 11.9km per litre.
You can imagine now how I achieve 7.7km...its all the weekend drives in the city with jams, traffic lights, stationary waiting etc...
11.9km - expressway without traffic lights...cruising between 80-100 kmph
Fret not....take a look at your drives and it may give you some insight into the numbers you have been achieving.

Thanks for the reply Nikleica. Come to think of it I have been stuck in stop-go traffic lately. Will wait to monitor longer. Thanks again and cheers!

almost after two months of driving and an upsizing of rims, change of tyres, i am pleased to say that i almost know what my range of fc will be for my 2.5l engine ranges from 7.0 to 11.5 km per litre..depending on road conditions (busy roads, expressway etc) , driving style (aggressive vs. neutral vs. fuel saving), load (driver only, full load) etc.

one thing that has been mentioned by other forumners that i can attest to is this; "bmws sip fuel while cruising...it gulps fuel when stalling on road traffic jams / traffic light start stops / idling whilst waiting etc.

no difference between 17-18 inches in terms of fc for me though.

hope this helps in your own analysis of fc for your car.

cheers

Sting;145195 said:
Hello again! So you got your car, congrats! Anyway, you get 7.1 and I have been driving for 3 weeks and it still says 6.4. Actually it was 6.2 then now it is 6.4. Any cause for concern?

Hi Sting, well my bloody car have alot of freaking problems and the csa at Alexandra all i can say is sucks. Find out my rear axle problem and ask me to wait for spare parts to arrive and must wait for 2 to 3 weeks and keep pushing blame on my ice on my ride and this and that. So now i can't mod my car and must wait for them to repair then can mod :furious: My steering wheels wobble and vibrate and i do not know its the problem because of the rims i change or its normal or its pml fault. How about urs? Hope everything is fine. And for your info, my fc still remains unchange and sometimes its even worst at 6.4km/l and using shell 98 and sometimes V-Power when i'm in malaysia. Cheers

Just to share my fuel consumption after more than 2 months of driving it.
Light footed with daily travel of 50/50 on expressway with full stock condition.
Initial 2K on the OBC registered around 10Km/l but was running in with less than 4K rpm with no hard acceleration.
Right after that was constantly doing around 9.2Km/l.
So much about getting better fuel consumption after running in. HeHe but I guess it's largely contributed by the increase of weight on my right foot.

I have got this habit of swiching to Neutral when going downhill or even when I have generated enough momentum with the car which help my FC slightly. But I am not sure if that would caused my gear box to blow earlier...............!

Any experience bro here can comment?

Back