Fuel consumption on E90 320i

Re: Fuel consumption on E90 320i

nisteroo;151045 said:
I have got this habit of swiching to Neutral when going downhill or even when I have generated enough momentum with the car which help my FC slightly. But I am not sure if that would caused my gear box to blow earlier...............!

Any experience bro here can comment?

theres a thread somewhere saying dat is bad for ur gearbox. Its better to just leave it a D.

My experience,

Switch back from 17" to stock size, FC went up from 6.5 to 7.5 km/l. Use 95 instaed of 98, FC better. Normal sg driving , 7.5 km/l, best ever FC during trip to Penang, 10.2 km/l. I should add my ride is a 1991 e34 with M50 engine, done 334000km. Wife's IS 250 gets stuck in traffic all the time yet manages mostly 11km/l, on 17" all round. The difference in cost between 6
7,5 and 11 is significant over long term. And yes, leave selector in D is best, and coasting in N is not good.

FC aside, it is extremely dangerous to disengage your gear whilst cruising / driving. You may switch to neutral when you are stuck in a traffic jam though.

For your safety and those of others, please leave it in drive when the car is on the roll.

It will also save your auto gearbox from a massive bill for the little savings in FC.

FC can be reduced through smarter driving like 1) accelerating smoothly and gently, 2) slowing down further away and not use brakes at the last minute, 3) use aircon wisely etc.

Hope you will find some better way to save fuel.

Happy Deepavali!

nikleica;148345 said:
almost after two months of driving and an upsizing of rims, change of tyres, i am pleased to say that i almost know what my range of fc will be for my 2.5l engine ranges from 7.0 to 11.5 km per litre..depending on road conditions (busy roads, expressway etc) , driving style (aggressive vs. neutral vs. fuel saving), load (driver only, full load) etc.

one thing that has been mentioned by other forumners that i can attest to is this; "bmws sip fuel while cruising...it gulps fuel when stalling on road traffic jams / traffic light start stops / idling whilst waiting etc.
I drove a old car but I agreed with nikleica. My FC for 70 city/30 highway driving is 8.0km/l, but once I go long distance on highway (i.e. 30 city/70 highway), it improved to 10.5km/l. So to me that's the main difference. Go go stop stop kind of driving drinks the most fuels.

nisteroo;151045 said:
I have got this habit of swiching to Neutral when going downhill or even when I have generated enough momentum with the car which help my FC slightly. But I am not sure if that would caused my gear box to blow earlier...............!

Any experience bro here can comment?

don't do that, not recommended even at a short traffic light stop. switching from D to N repeatedly will kill the clutch plates and bands in your gearbox.

from my experience in nippon cars, larger rims = wider tyres, which certainly leads to lower fc. also, do a tyre size calcuation to see if it is larger/smaller than stock. larger tyre always give you bad fc (heavier + less distance recorded on odo)

fuel wise i'm still trying out various brands. i used to run 95 shell on my old latio and it worked pretty ok, but FC was ~12.5km/l with quite a fair bit of hway driving. some folks at the latio forum claim 14-16km/l... i wonder how they did it. maybe CVT, i dunno..

any bros here not using RFTs on stock 16"? I'm thinking of switching out to Bridgestone GR-90s when my CSC runs botak.

Gentlemen,

FC varies greatly from car to car. Many variables and factors contribute to FC.
Example: Driving style, % on highway, load, wheel/tyre choices, tyre pressures, road conditions, total mileage, and any mods on the car.
Hence the FC figure shown on ur computer is merely for curiosity and should not serve as a de facto to determine if engine is in trouble, unless it drops to a ridiculos level, which i'm sure you as the avid car owner will pick it up.

For info: my 4 yrs old 320 E90. FC 9.4km/l, on 19' non RFT. 70% highway. Average driving style, light load.

detach8;568671 said:
don't do that, not recommended even at a short traffic light stop. switching from D to N repeatedly will kill the clutch plates and bands in your gearbox.

from my experience in nippon cars, larger rims = wider tyres, which certainly leads to lower fc. also, do a tyre size calcuation to see if it is larger/smaller than stock. larger tyre always give you bad fc (heavier + less distance recorded on odo)

fuel wise i'm still trying out various brands. i used to run 95 shell on my old latio and it worked pretty ok, but FC was ~12.5km/l with quite a fair bit of hway driving. some folks at the latio forum claim 14-16km/l... i wonder how they did it. maybe CVT, i dunno..

any bros here not using RFTs on stock 16"? I'm thinking of switching out to Bridgestone GR-90s when my CSC runs botak.

My car is 08 320i. I'm using stock rims, GR90 and running on 95 octane. My FC is 10.5km/L as shown on OBC.

Just there and back from KL. FC is 10.3 km/l. Wheels 18", 225/40R18 front & 265/35R18 rear.

whymehor;601863 said:
mine 10 flat no matter how i drive...like hang already..:shoot:

reset it

i figured the most fuel efficient speed is around 90-100kph. anything above the efficiency starts going down abit. i have ever achieve 10.4km/l on my current 17" (stock 17" taken off a E90 coupe, now on my E90 saloon)

07 e90 320 staggered 19" on non-rft. Standard 10.2km/l. 95/98 same though I recommend 98 cause a mech told me there was knocking in the engine when I'm running a tank of 95. Generally driving at speed above 80 km whenever possible. 50/50 Hway and city. Also on sprint booster.

09 e90 320 18" staggered...

obc states 8.9l/100km... manual calc over 10km/l... v power only... 70/30 highway/city driving...

Hey There....

Ok I'm new here... my previous cars was all 4 wheel drive 2L turbo moster for the past 12 years and i realised age is catching up. Right, time for a change and I gotten myself of a 08' E90 320i.

Opened my fuel cap and excited to see I could pump a different level of octane fuel. Happily pumped in RON95 (all my old previous car will take nothing buy RON98) and happily drove off. I started to play with all the electronic gauges, stereo, cruise control... etc etc... then bumped onto the Km/Litre fuel consumption real time display (WOW COOL so I quickly reset it). When curising I was getting 15km/L and mix 50% Highway + 50% CIty to about 8.5km/L reading. First thing came into my mine.... 8.5km/L????? That's excatly the same as my old EVO9 consumption :yikess:!!! And it a 300bhp machine against 165bhp 320i?? :wtf: came straight into my mind.

Ok... cut the story short. I'm on my 2nd tank and again i pump in RON95 for testing (yes i know RON98 give better mileage, I just wish to try). I used my first tank mileage divided by the Litre I pumped in. The result was 435km / 50.7L = 8.6km/L. Yes i concluded that the dash meter is damn bloodie correct, and yes I'm damn bloodie disappointed :(

Let me try again and see if i can have any improvement....

P.S. my first 300km was on stock 16:" RFT and after that i changed to 225/40/18" breyton.

Hi.

I'm driving an E90 2005 320i. So far I monitored my driving and realised that I hit 9-10km/litre

I running on 16" stock tires and probably my boot is cleared, thats why it's getting less FC.

DayDreaming;838975 said:
I driving a 2007 E90, my average is 8.6km/l.. y mine so little.. mi on 19"

My friend said that a huge part is to do with the way you move off when stationary ......

I also recently got my 07 e90 320i.. on the 3rd tank now..

My boot is empty too and the on board computer also say 8.6km/L. I tried a few tanks already and the best was about 180km when I finish the first quarter.. then I got into the city and run errands and used the 2nd quarter and hit 262km.. This is my best so far in 3 tanks of Ron98 Esso..

I realize initially when I move off from stationary, I tend to accelerate and the rpm goes 3k to 4k then auto change gear.. I never control and I see the fuel meter at 20L/100km. I think the car heavy.. I hit 460km with 57L with my first tank.

Then I start to accelerate and when the RPM hit 2.5k rpm, let go the pedal and slightly accelerate again, the fuel meter drops to around 8L/100km and slowly goes up..

Do the let go at 2.5k rpm and accelerate again, I find the acceleration smooth and I hit 80km/h very fast too! No need to floor and high rev..

I think flooring and high rev necessary when overtaking and changing lane when there is this ignorant bugger who dun want to give way is on the other lane!

Maybe can try?? I will monitor and see how much I hit with my 3rd tank.

End of day, like what many bros here say, drive BMW = wanna enjoy ride, if wanna save petrol, take MRT better.. but then if can enjoy the ride and dun WASTE petrol, that's the best! That's what I think you are trying to achieve.

Cheers!!

The cost of petrol is so high now that whether 92 or 95 or 98 I use, it's burns my pocket instead of in the combustion chamber.

So don't calculate FC, pump full tank, pay Nets (no shocking monthly total bill) and enjoy the ride.

Life is too short to worry about prices.

MapleLeaf;839095 said:
The cost of petrol is so high now that whether 92 or 95 or 98 I use, it's burns my pocket instead of in the combustion chamber.

So don't calculate FC, pump full tank, pay Nets (no shocking monthly total bill) and enjoy the ride.

Life is too short to worry about prices.

True enough.. I just pump, dun calculate wun be heart pain.. As a bro is say, the FC is close to a evo, this seems pretty bad.. but overall, i enjoy the ride so it is ok la..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuwinbet
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back