G30 owners please fall in!

I just scrape my wheels against the curb. But to my surprise the rims were well protected because of the way the tyres were constructed. See photo of tyre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bd35e62d50ac1c3a1d1ff6465b75d5f8.jpg

The rims seems to be recessed

Usually most tyres side wall give some protection. If you only brushed on low curb on not too much, you are protected but if you hit harder and higher, no chance.[emoji4]

Hi buddy,
Let me share alittle and see if it helps.
But let me indemnify to say:
1) that it's my opinion as it stands now, and it may change as we age.
2) I'm not a fully spec savvy person, as I leave the advise to my mech.
I mainly learnt from my earlier experiences and mechanics' advise, for my car specific.
3) It's not intended to offend, but to share my and my opinion only.

So here goes...
<Sharing>
1) Lower QA brands (not going to mention brands): I would not buy, as it takes only 1 failure.
Reason:
- current OEM caliper + OEM pad upgrade (that bites the hell out of your rotors), is more than good enough for street (life should be worth something).

2) OEM upgrades: I would not buy, due to norminal value gain to me (price vs results).
Reason:
- most buyers just get these slightly bigger calipers but did not pair it well (I'll share more in topic 3. And if any significant piston size difference, piston position, etc).

Compared with a higher spec caliper:
- Half the price, but is the performance half or less?

Compared to just adding a really good OEM brake pad upgrade, to current OEM calipers:
- This could bites the hell out of the OEM rotors and stops really quite well.
- But at the end of the day, if it's sufficient for street use? In almost all case, it's likely a yes (not all, but yes. it is reliable, as its OEM / OES after all.).
- What is the cost difference? Cheap as chips! But I'll let you judge.
- Or do we simply prefer to pay for the looks?

3) Higher QA brands: I would!
(a) model issued:
- it doesn't mean just buying any, and "wa-lah!".
what does that mean:
- it doesn't mean that all iPhones are perfect (set our expectations correct).
If we want a AI capable function in the iPhoneX, it doesn't means that buying a iPhone5, and we can use the AI function as well as the iPhoneX.
We have to compare Apple to Apple, for the products.
-> So get the correct model, that is a real upgrade from our current OEM.
The wrong model maybe a downgrade from our current OEM.
So do our homework and don't settle for less (high chances are, you will regret but learn to accept).
Don't buy it because it's cheap for "A_" or "B_____" brand and say it's not good. Of coz! We can't buy the low-end models, and expect the world.
(b) brand issues:
- some judge to say "B_____" brand BBK is not good. Or "A_" brand BBK is not good.
- Was it due to choosing a good QA brand but lower grade model caliper (small pistons, piston positions, brake pad fitment size / types, modulation angles, so many reasons).
- Or buying a higher grade model caliper with pairing to cheap rotors or cheap pads.
-> So don't be cheated by those "great deals".
(c) set-up issue: a specific setup or PN (that set your high expectations) in a Japanese car, may or may not perform up to your expectations in a European car.
Some play with Japanese cars due to lighter chassis and agile on circuit (for high speed stopping and acceleration), but European have cars could play a different game (displacement CC game).
- too many reasons. long story short, is car weight, character, etc.
braking distance, balance, modulation, many things would all change.
- front and rear have to balance, or it could get silly (let your imaginations run wild, on what would happen if the front reduce speed more than the rear, in a turn. during high speed or low traction grounds?). Weight shift, body flex, etc...
-> So study the 6-4potter combi or 8-4potter (each brand brakes alittle differently. some brands have early braking and some progressive modulated braking, due to caliper character.).
(d) don't even get started on so many other factors that would come in later.
- Master brake pump. Without a upgrade, can we really max out the performance of the BBK (if there even is a upgrade, for G30 at this moment).
Most OEM master brake pump is often more than enough to utilise a BBK, for street use.
- how about rim clearance, causing a rim size increase.
The rim size increase can cause handling changes (turning radius, sharpness of OEM turning changes, agility reduced, so many factors).
The wrong choice of rims may increase launch momentum but reduce high speed momentum (I'm told heavier weight rims carry the speed better, at hand than speeds. not sure, but I'm told this before.).
-> So is it all worth it? What is the real goal for the BBK (for looks, or for safety, or compounding issues thereafter).

<Conclusion>
1) Purpose:
- to greatly improve safety & braking (how: firm and more modulation).
2) Quantify braking performance:
- Subjective. Diffeeent strokes for different folks (hard braking, progressive modulated braking, high speed on NSHW & require emergency braking to avoid accidents, etc).
- You won't feel a huge difference during upgrade (but it's there), but you will feel it when you revert to stock (just like a iPhoneX reverting to iPhone5).
- All it takes is that 1 time that saved you from a accident (may or may not happen, but the option to save you and your family is there), and it's all worth it.
3) Opinion:
- Since you don't track, check the correct model bad rotor pairing, for option2.
At least the depreciation of the brakes, serve a additional purpose of more than just looks. don't be overly concerned about the colours ("B_____" has a character of its own, in its GT caliper Colours).
- later on, you might want to consider the option2 brand for the rear.

That's just my opinion, and I maybe wrong.
But just sharing, if it helps.
Once again, it's not intended to offend anyone.
If my comments is wrong or offensive to anyone, I will gladly delete these comments shared above.

Woah....thanks for the details K...i did not consider the issue of pairing and distribution of braking between the front and rear. Would have assumed that front was always more important and back was just there to assist.

From your post,i suppose its not advisable to mix rotors to existing calipers. So option 2 may be out. I believe the major brands, AP,Alcon,Brembo should do all their work well provided the kit was set up for our car and you were right to say that i did not feel significant difference when changing from OEM to brembo GT kit but did feel significant difference when i dekitted the brakes back to OEM before selling the car.The total damage back then was close to 10k and was thinking that it was a bit of a waste of money and wanted to avoid it.

Theres another option which was proposed but its gonna cost even more. Thats to also purchase a set which is meant for another car and custom make a braket to fit the rear caliper but now that u mentioned it,im concern on brake distribution between the front and rear.

My take away from your post is that 1 mistake and all possible areas would be blamed if a fatal incident occurs. Best to stick to something that was tried and tested and not "kaki lai" by mixing calipers,rotors and pads.

Thanks bro! It was not a direct reply but i think i got the message. Good advice for anyone wanting to upgrade their brakes.

I'll see how it goes and if i do change the brakes,will let u guys know..

It's not a sure fatal situation.
- But if BBK sellers use locally fabricated brackets or low QA rotors, the risk is high.
- Maybe it's just me, but the G30 seems alittle tail happy.

1) Its very rare that 1 Mechanic, is Pro for Every Part of the car.
So it's good that we share the issues, and learn from each other.
Let each owner decide for themselves.

2) the sellers of BBK may pair with alternative brands, due to fitment and price.
Such as brackets from different factories (you will received non-gen customised brackets, etc. they usually just tell you the material).
Or for rotors, they just tell you size (they pair cheaper options to meet our budget. but it's not a discount off their GP, but a downgrade in brand / or even sometimes a downgrade in quality.).

<Some examples>
(a) AP 5000+ gen calipers: note the piston size and what rotors to pair (note the PN too)?
https://www.apracing.com/product_de.../9/10/11s7l-210mm_centres-25mm_thick_pad.aspx

https://www.apracing.com/products/race_car/brake_calipers/pro_5000_range.aspx

(b) AP gen rotors: note the rotor & pad types.
https://www.apracing.com/products/race_car.aspx

(c) Brembo GT-R gen calipers: note the piston size and what rotors to pair (note the PN too)?
http://www.brembo.com/en/car/sporting-use/gt-r-braking-system

www.brembo.com/it/Varie/Brembo_GT-GTR-TURISMO-RACING%20PACK%20Application%20list_EUR_June%202017.pdf

(d) Brembo gen rotors: note the rotor & pad types.
http://www.brembo.com/en/car/sporting-use/pads

www.brembo.com/en/Varie/Brembo_SportAutoPadsCatalogue.pdf

http://www.brembo.com/en/car/racing-professionals

(e) How to read Brembo PN for dimensions:
https://www.lpiracing.com/Brembo-Caliper-Guide-c9150.htm

3) It is expensive, but if done correctly, it's depreciated over many years (the caliper is for a good 7-8yrs before piston issues. Only replace pads and rotors during the usage years.).
Most importantly, enjoy the ride! ;-)

Best regards.

Last edited:
Yes bro.
I don't want to advise anyone, as I'm not a Pro.
No 1 Mechanic, is Pro for Every Part of the car.
So just lay out the issues, and let each owner decide.

I've tried all the brands you mentioned and more.
What I also want to say is, the sellers of BBK may not always pair the same brand for you.
They may pair with alternative brands, due to fitment and price.
So doesn't mean buying car specifics from them, means it's all same brand and original from same factory (even down to brackets are customised and may not be original. they just tell you the material.).

But I will still go for a new complete kit for the G30 and 997, after my Wife settles into the G30.
It is expensive, but if done correctly, it's depreciated over many years (the caliper is for a good 7-8yrs before piston issues. Only replace pads and rotors.).
I'm curious to see your setup, if you installed before the next meeting?

If you want, I can taxi you in both the rides.
You'll probably get a different image.
Meanwhile, I'll delete this post and my earlier post in abit. I don't really feel good to share it.
Best regards.
Your sharing is great. Would be a pity if u delete it.

Thank you for your kind words.
Issues is that many would have their own opinions, and I wouldn't want to worry about any potential issues ;-)
We should be enjoying our cars, the way we like it.
Hope you guys understand.

Merry Christmas!

Your sharing is great. Would be a pity if u delete it.

Issues is that many would have their own opinions, and I wouldn't want to worry about any potential issues ;-)
We should be enjoying our cars, the way we like it.
Hope you guys understand.

Merry Christmas!

Your advise is very helpful for people who not sure of what they want, like me[emoji4]. These are truly important things to consider and definitely great sharing! Thanks.

Don't say that buddy.
You are the first amongst us, to start venturing in BBK for our G30.
I'm learning too, as every car's characteristics is very different.

My BBK model on my earlier E60 is similar to what I used in my earlier Jap car for track.
Was perfect for track, but can't even stop half as well on my E60.
But on the contrary, my smaller BBK of a different brand worked fine on my earlier E90.
It got me all thinking, and learnt through my mech.
Now with the G30, I wouldn't make the same mistakes.

Would need to learn from you too, as you've already installed my fav brand BBK.
Taxi me around, during the next meet up, if you have the time.
Would love to feel how the brake holds.

Merry Christmas buddy!

Your advise is very helpful for people who not sure of what they want, like me[emoji4]. These are truly important things to consider and definitely great sharing! Thanks.

@1st gear ,@Silly 5,@TezzaRed ,@REND and anyone else intrested.

These seem to be the brakes for our car. If im to get the set,i would plan to get the front only and paint the calipers blue with either "brembo" in white or have M logo and then retain the rear. Current estimate is approx $7k with delivery and GST to Singapore, without alignment or installation. Let me know if others have other pricing or models to share. Im after a new set.

http://www.racetechnologies.com/products/brakekits/gt-1n-9539a?vehicle=10791

Thanks in advance bros.

These seem to be the brakes for our car. If im to get the set,i would plan to get the front only and paint the calipers blue with either "brembo" in white or have M logo and then retain the rear. Current estimate is approx $7k with delivery and GST to Singapore, without alignment or installation. Let me know if others have other pricing or models to share. Im after a new set.

Thanks in advance bros.

Thanks for the information! Unfortunately already installed mine as you know, this is really awesome looking BBK. [emoji1303]

Thanks in advance bros.
When are your rims arriving? Do put it up for us to see. Tks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

When are your rims arriving? Do put it up for us to see. Tks.

Im hoping by mid January 2018 man! Hopefully brakes will also reach by mid Jan. Good news is that my springs have already arrived so intend to have the brakes, springs alignment and virgin oil change done before CNY 2018! In case you wondering, my mileage when i change should still be less than 2k kms.

Let me know if you want the part number for the springs, just note that damper life may shorten if you change the springs but im gonna give it a go and see how things go.

Thanks in advance bros.
Thanks for offer bro - but not looking to get this set. Appreciate your kind consideration!

Im hoping by mid January 2018 man! Hopefully brakes will also reach by mid Jan. Good news is that my springs have already arrived so intend to have the brakes, springs alignment and virgin oil change done before CNY 2018! In case you wondering, my mileage when i change should still be less than 2k kms.

Let me know if you want the part number for the springs, just note that damper life may shorten if you change the springs but im gonna give it a go and see how things go.
No thanks bro . Have a few instances my car just manage to clear the kerb. Show us when u got it. Tks

Thanks in advance bros.
Bro, thanks for helping us. I had confirmed AP Radical and will be going for the change this coming Friday unless there is any last min changes. Am now waiting for exhaust.

Hi All, just received my ride 2 weeks ago. Its a PI car, Ride experience is fantastic; but I am confused by all the tech that are built into the car. My car comes with the park assist plus with 360 cam, comfort access, apple car play, bmw connected drive services. Appreciate some expert advice on the following:

1) Driver assist (the green button next to the hazard light). Is it true that the g30 comes standard with anti collision and pedestrian warning? For anti collision, was able to see a range setting of "early", "late" or something during demo. But now I cannot find this setting when I pressed on the green button. I tested the function by tailgating a car, but no warning came. Setting was at "All on"

2) When i received the car, the gps comes with 3d building view. Now its showing normal view like what you see in the google map. Went through the menu, "3d" setting was checked.

3) BMW connected drive as i understand has limited function if it is a PI unit. Was only able to see weather and news. My car was a UK unit. Is there anyway i can activate the other function? I was told i needed a UK address to "register" the car, but I could not even "add this vehicle". I am however able to see the fuel level and the total range. Will the feature remote view be available?

4) Apple car play, seem like i can only get limited apps on the menu. How do get it to run "waze" or "google map"?

On a note, the car initially has a "USB error" and they were not able to load the Sgp & Malaysia map. A new head unit has to be replaced before delivery. Could it be the new head unit not uploaded with the right software package?

Would really appreciate some good advices here before i take it up with the dealer.

Oh by the way....mine is 530i in Sophisto Grey.

Thank you.
Michael

Hi All, just received my ride 2 weeks ago. Its a PI car, Ride experience is fantastic; but I am confused by all the tech that are built into the car. My car comes with the park assist plus with 360 cam, comfort access, apple car play, bmw connected drive services. Appreciate some expert advice on the following:

1) Driver assist (the green button next to the hazard light). Is it true that the g30 comes standard with anti collision and pedestrian warning? For anti collision, was able to see a range setting of "early", "late" or something during demo. But now I cannot find this setting when I pressed on the green button. I tested the function by tailgating a car, but no warning came. Setting was at "All on"

Oh by the way....mine is 530i in Sophisto Grey.

Thank you.
Michael

Hi Michael, Congrats on your new car, im only able to share some info on S/N 1 on Driver Assistance Systems. My car is also from PI. I'm generalizing here but only PI and management units from PML have the "intelligent Safety Button". For our car, Collision Warning consist of

1. Frontal Collision warning with city collision warning mitigation
2. Daytime Pedestrian protection Features

These are optional functions but i guess the PI spec it for you or was part of the package when he bought it. You should have a KAFAS camera when you have this option

The system warns the driver in situations where a collision is imminent. Or when a pedestrian is close to the car. The early warning is a visual signal, the 2nd signal is a acoustic sound. Personally, i did not hear the acoustic sound when tailgating, i managed to get it to activate when i brake late for Frontal Collision warning

To access the settings,
Press the Intelligent Safety Button once - its the button next to the hazard light button
Use the I drive to scroll to individual and select individual.
All the settings for the various safety systems will be displayed and you can adjust the early or late settings as you deem fit.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclubvietnam
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back