G30 owners please fall in!

Hi everyone, i would like to start off this post by saying im not a diy kind of guy, i always try but my wife always looks at me and shakes her head and comments, why bother? Dun make it any more worse than it is!
I admit there were times when i try to save money and in the end i land up paying more for someone to fix the mess i created when there wasn't a big problem to start with. I hope my engine does not have any issues.......
Today's weekend warrior project was to change the engine oil on my G30 B58. I watched some youtube videos and it seemed simple enough. I then spent some money to get the tools needed. Lets say it may take 20 oil changes to recoup my losses :confused:. The mileage on the car was 2700kms, some may refer to it as the running in oil change. After this, i will be more confident to increase the revs but an oil change to the tranny is also good but im not capable to diy that. :(Maybe will do it at 10,000km

Why am i doing it? Hahaha..For fun i guess....

Purchase list
Car ramps (From US)
Oil drain pan (From US)
3/8 drive socket with 32 mm (for oil filter) (From US)
Creeper seat ) (From US)
3/8 drive Socket wrench set (for drain plug), actually i needed only 17mm but i bought the whole set anyway (Local)
3/8 drive socket wrench extension 150mm (to access the oil filter cap as it was in a difficult position)(Local)
3/8 drive Norbar 8-50Nm Torque wrench(Local)
Motul 8100 oil (used 6.5L)(Local)
Oil filter(Local)

Here are the tools/equipment

Items required.jpg

Here are the pics for those whose backside may be itchy too!

First and foremost, the car had to be raised so i could access the drain plug, the work was to be done during lunch time at work. There's a chemical section within the company which disposes of chemical waste, so the used oil would be passed to them for disposal

ramps.jpg

side view.jpg

The ramp comes in 2 parts, once the car was safely up, i applied the handbrake and used the 2nd half of the ramp as a wedge just in case. Note that i did not have a back up in the event the ramps failed. Some people use jack stands or bricks. The ramp height is 10 inches or around 250mm. Clearance was ok with my car with lowering springs. ACS Springs

Prior to going up the ramp, i warmed up the engine for around 5mins as understand that warm oil flows easier. Once up the ramp, the next step was to open the drain plug. I used the creeper seat to access the bottom and located the drain plug.

drain plug.jpg

I used a 17mm socket wrench to open the bolt. Note that there is a copper washer that you have to replace when ever the drain plug is opened. The copper washer came with the oil filter.

Its advisable to open the drain plug a little to ensure that the liquid coming out is oil and not tranny fluid. After the drain plug was open.....

unlocking the drain plug.jpg

flowing oil.png

I a plastic drain pan and another stainless steel tray to catch the oil. After the drain plug was open, i went onto remove the oil filter cap. There are 4 points that the plastic "twin power turbo cover" is being fasten to.... just lift either of the 4 corners and it pops right off. I think its called a grommet? correct me if i am wrong

removing twin power turbo.jpg

After the cover is removed, locate the oil filter housing, its located at the passenger side at the back of the engine bay. One pic is with the 32mm scoket and the other is without.

without 32mm.jpg

32mm.jpg

After the cover is removed, more oil would flow out.

Here are pics of the oil filter after i removed it, there were no signs of metal filings or metal pieces visible.

used oil filter and cap.jpg

Next was to fit the new oil filter back on. Note that the side with the non complete circle fits into the cap. There would be a "click" sound and it would not drop out when pushed in. also remember to lubricate the oil filter and oil filter gasket

This way into the cap.jpg

I then had to locate the old drain plug which was in the pool of engine oil. The oil was warm and oooooo so nice....hahahaha

looking for drain plug 1.jpg

Remember to fit the new rubber gasket onto the plastic oil cap. Screw it back using the same wrench. i was not able to find the torque values for this but noticed a considerable amount of turning torque at a certain point and stopped there. The drain plug was also screwed back after a while. A new copper washer was also used. The torque value i used was 20ft lbs or 27Nm for the drain plug. Kindly update me if i am a mistake on this and i will amend it in case others make the same mistake as me and cause some catastrophic failure on their engines! i will know in a few days :lol2:

After the drain plug and oil filter was fitted back came the best part! filling up the engine oil...., i filled up 6L of oil and had to start the engine and drive the car of the ramps and filled another 0.5L to 0.6L. I did this as the car was not flat on the ground while on the ramps. The car has an electronic brake and i don't know how to roll the car off the ramps without starting the engine.

filling her up.jpg

Thats the end of my virgin oil change for my run in oil change on my B58. I hope this would come in useful to some if not, thanks for reading!

To the landfill.jpg

Attachments

• Clearance for a lowered car 1.jpg
    Clearance for a lowered car 1.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 658
  • side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 370
Hi All,

I’m currently driving the F10 528i and considering the G30 530i M Sport. I read a few pages and noticed that some of you encountered some electronic glitches and some had other mechanical issues like squeaky brakes.

I have test driven the G30 and I find it more significantly quieter and more comfortable than the F10. The engine although same seems smoother and quieter too.

Are you guys enjoying the ride?

I’m contemplating getting the Carbon Black with Cognac Interior. Currently no ex-stock, and the cars are slated for February production and should ETA Singapore by March.

Will give a look around before making the decision. Hope to join you guys, the G30 group soon :)

Last edited:
Hi All,

I’m currently driving the F10 528i and considering the G30 530i M Sport. I read a few pages and noticed that some of you encountered some electronic glitches and some had other mechanical issues like squeaky brakes.

I have test driven the G30 and I find it more significantly quieter and more comfortable than the F10. The engine although same seems smoother and quieter too.

Are you guys enjoying the ride?

I’m contemplating getting the Carbon Black with Cognac Interior. Currently no ex-stock, and the cars are slated for February production and should ETA Singapore by March.

Will give a look around before making the decision. Hope to join you guys, the G30 group soon :)

Hi Derosal81,

G30 is a wonderful car, most of us comments a bit here and there our little unhappiness but overall must say it’s definitely a much more refine car than F10. Most owners here are similar to me upgraded from F10 (various model) and I would say all can agree that G30 is a much better car....it’s much lighter so it’s more agile but some find it a bit “tail happy”[emoji4]. (Depending how hard you push it) We have a very large numbers of owners here that willingly discuss and support each other on issues that “pop-up”. We are also readily trying to “poison” each other on mods...looking forward to welcome you! Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi. Anybody facing issues with wireless charging tray? Intermittent charging even on the same phone or display key...

Hi Derosal81,

G30 is a wonderful car, most of us comments a bit here and there our little unhappiness but overall must say it’s definitely a much more refine car than F10. Most owners here are similar to me upgraded from F10 (various model) and I would say all can agree that G30 is a much better car....it’s much lighter so it’s more agile but some find it a bit “tail happy”[emoji4]. (Depending how hard you push it) We have a very large numbers of owners here that willingly discuss and support each other on issues that “pop-up”. We are also readily trying to “poison” each other on mods...looking forward to welcome you! Cheers.

Hi Silly 5,

Thanks for the prompt response as well as the sharing of your personal experience with the car. I finally made the decision and booked the car yesterday and loan was approved today morning.
I went for the 530i M Sport, Carbon Black with Cognac Interior. The car is scheduled for February 2018 Production so I assume it should be in loose bits & pieces now before being assembled together by end of February 2018. The car should ETA Singapore shores by end March 2018.

Delivery I assume shld between Mid to End of Apr 2018. Seems such an awfully long wait.........

Hi Silly 5,

Thanks for the prompt response as well as the sharing of your personal experience with the car. I finally made the decision and booked the car yesterday and loan was approved today morning.
I went for the 530i M Sport, Carbon Black with Cognac Interior. The car is scheduled for February 2018 Production so I assume it should be in loose bits & pieces now before being assembled together by end of February 2018. The car should ETA Singapore shores by end March 2018.

Delivery I assume shld between Mid to End of Apr 2018. Seems such an awfully long wait.........

Congratulations! Most of us have similar experienced, the excitement of waiting was one process that make the purchase interesting. While waiting we all start planning the type of wheels, BBK, body kits....etc. once you collect you ride, we welcome you to join our exclusive G30 SG WhatsApp chat group and meet up[emoji4]. All the best!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi everyone, i would like to start off this post by saying im not a diy kind of guy, i always try but my wife always looks at me and shakes her head and comments, why bother? Dun make it any more worse than it is!

Respect bro! I wish I could do that...!

Respect bro! I wish I could do that...!
thanks for the nice words..heres a more reliable version...

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...air-manuals/11-engine/11-00-engine/1VnYQ4EP6M

and this is my next project-changing tranny oil....but i do anticipate some problems. may or may do it...

1)measuring temp of oil
2)when to stop topping up(i can use the same amount that has come out to go back in)
3)space constraints as not below a hoist and using ramps. oil has to be pump in through filler plug which is horizontal.
4)locating a bmw tool for opening the drain plug of the tranny(heard normal socket wrenches may be difficult to access the area)

if any experts have done it in their younger days or have moved on to bigger projects but not convenient to share,i will always welcome a PM

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...n/24-11-transmission-case-oil-sump/1VnYxiE5Ub

thanks.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...air-manuals/11-engine/11-00-engine/1VnYQ4EP6M

and this is my next project-changing tranny oil....but i do anticipate some problems. may or may do it...

1)measuring temp of oil
2)when to stop topping up(i can use the same amount that has come out to go back in)
3)space constraints as not below a hoist and using ramps. oil has to be pump in through filler plug which is horizontal.
4)locating a bmw tool for opening the drain plug of the tranny(heard normal socket wrenches may be difficult to access the area)

if any experts have done it in their younger days or have moved on to bigger projects but not convenient to share,i will always welcome a PM

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...n/24-11-transmission-case-oil-sump/1VnYxiE5Ub

thanks.
Keep it up. It's good to learn all things new. !!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

thanks.

If you don't mind, when you are doing this, chio me?
I hope to see the process and learn it.
Plan to change my tranny oil myself too!

Tranny oil change are the big ticket items.
To be able to do on our own, would be a really good thing!

If you don't mind, when you are doing this, chio me?
I hope to see the process and learn it.
Plan to change my tranny oil myself too!

Tranny oil change are the big ticket items.
To be able to do on our own, would be a really good thing!
im really keen on trying as its not that complicated but need to obtain a tool that i can't seem to find online..the tool is used to open the fill hole and profile of normal socket wrenches may not be able to access the fill hole....i could be wrong...once im ready,will buzz everyone again.

Thanks and happy CNY everyone!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180208-231138-740x360.png
    Screenshot_20180208-231138-740x360.png
    162.7 KB · Views: 636
Have been waiting for this day for quite some time. The springs and brakes go on tomolo. The approx measurements on my car,with adaptive suspension are below. The measurements are prior to changing the springs,which i will do tomolo.
FL -715mm
RL -715
FR - 710
RR - 705
i will update the measurements after fitting the springs. Fitting springs may hurt the dampers and shorten damper life and may also affect the handling but i giving it a go,i'll be using AC Schnitzer Springs.

Also going on would be my brakes. They are a 6 pot 405mm set for the front only. They are a GT set which come in black,yellow,red and sliver from the factory. Theres another GTR set which is more expensive and has a chrome like finish but its past my budget besides, i intended to have them sprayed it in blue to match my rear calipers. This may affect resale and cause ppl to judge me for not being original but again,im going ahead with it. Hope the colour is able to last.

Attached are photos of what i took today.
Hi, just to update everyone of the height after my springs were fitted.

FL - 690mm
FR - 680mm
RL - 700mm
RR - 690mm

So far,i have not scratched the car yet except for 1 time when i was at Sim Lim but that was a very light scratch and i was going a little faster than normal. The car now does not seem to have a difference between sport or comfort modes which may not be a good thing to some.

Personally i feel its still comfortable.

@Xiaochew,hope this info is able to help u and look forward to seeing your end result after lowering.

Attachments

• front left after acs springs.jpg
    front left after acs springs.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 308
  • front right after acs springs.jpg
    front right after acs springs.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 344
  • rear left after acs springs.jpg
    rear left after acs springs.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 333
  • rear right after acs springs.jpg
    rear right after acs springs.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 333
Hi, just to update everyone of the height after my springs were fitted.

FL - 690mm
FR - 680mm
RL - 700mm
RR - 690mm

So far,i have not scratched the car yet except for 1 time when i was at Sim Lim but that was a very light scratch and i was going a little faster than normal. The car now does not seem to have a difference between sport or comfort modes which may not be a good thing to some.

Personally i feel its still comfortable.

@Xiaochew,hope this info is able to help u and look forward to seeing your end result after lowering.

When I free I go measure mine[emoji28].

c1185f3c148df26cac09f486f94cbcb5.jpg

These are front and back right
RR 700
RF 690

All sides are 10mm higher than yours[emoji24]...hope this make you happy.

All we need is a M sport and we have completed the experiment and then we can compare whose dampers will leak 1st..:silenced:

Anyone knows if the G30 rear trunk has a good drainage system. I accidentally spilled a pail of water and the water just disappear underneath the carpet. Does the water drain out by itself or do I need to open up the carpet to drain it out?

Anyone knows if the G30 rear trunk has a good drainage system. I accidentally spilled a pail of water and the water just disappear underneath the carpet. Does the water drain out by itself or do I need to open up the carpet to drain it out?

Sorry to hear about your incident. Unfortunately I don’t know sorry. @hohlim, u know?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88onlineclub
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back