Garmin GPS

Re: Garmin GPS

jaskin;180343 said:
660 the only real advantage the 660 has seems to be the Euro maps that come with it. We can't use the majority of the extra features it has over the 610

The 660 has lots more internal memory. 2GB if I recall. :)

Someone on Mycarforum saying that he can get the 660 for $930 dunno with Garmin Maps anot... That's a good price.

jaskin;180444 said:
Someone on Mycarforum saying that he can get the 660 for $930 dunno with Garmin Maps anot... That's a good price.

Jaskin, do consider buying one with the Garmin maps or you may regret big time for not being able to get a good search result with malsing maps (like searching for hdb blk no and landed ppty no accurately).

Yes I agree. It's very frustrating to use when you can't use the core function of a GPS properly...

Thanks for the tip guys, I"m actually looking at the 660 but I'm not really in a big rush to get it. Probably try the N95's GPS if its good enough first.

Have been playing with the Garmin nuvi 6xx with the bundled maps for over a week. Don't get me wrong I like the device but I find that its not very accurate.

Example:
1) When going home it tells me that home is on the left but it's really on the right.
2) When input my address it takes me away from my street. As in I should turn right at the lane but it tells me to turn left.
3) It tells you turn left in say 300m. Then goes silent. Then when the turn comes up and you just pass it, it goes turn left turn left. But how missed the turn already.

Maybe I got a faulty device? What do you guys think?

Nuvi 310 with TTS/MAP/bluetooth S$830
Nuvi 310 with TTS/No map/bluetooth S$630
Nuvi 310 with TTS/No map/no bluetooth S$530

Price was quoted about 2 weeks ago.

The 310 can do what you are hoping for.

Allbright is another shop at textile centre. I think they are the main importer which PW gets its stock from (correct me if i am wrong)

VenomX2;182160 said:
1) When going home it tells me that home is on the left but it's really on the right.

I suggest you display your home poi on the map to see if it has been marked at the right side of the road, this usually is the cause.

I'm not impressed with the garmin map and the path it chooses (I got a nuvi 610). For some reason, my software/map/unit generally refuses to use the highways to get to most destinations. In fact it has this annoying habit of picking roads with the most traffic lights. Only when I ignore its direction and get on the expressway, it then recalculates the path.

I've recently downloaded the free malsing map and am now testing it. Hopefully there's an improvement.

Personally, I find the garmin not very consistent in its performance. Some days it picks up satellite signals pretty quick, sometimes it takes as long as 10-15mins. Often, it chooses the longer route but sometimes it amazes me with the shortcut it finds. Kinda frustrating!

Anyone has these problems? Or did I get a lemon?

Cheers,
B

bleachberu;233220 said:
I'm not impressed with the garmin map and the path it chooses (I got a nuvi 610). For some reason, my software/map/unit generally refuses to use the highways to get to most destinations. In fact it has this annoying habit of picking roads with the most traffic lights. Only when I ignore its direction and get on the expressway, it then recalculates the path.

I've recently downloaded the free malsing map and am now testing it. Hopefully there's an improvement.

Personally, I find the garmin not very consistent in its performance. Some days it picks up satellite signals pretty quick, sometimes it takes as long as 10-15mins. Often, it chooses the longer route but sometimes it amazes me with the shortcut it finds. Kinda frustrating!

Anyone has these problems? Or did I get a lemon?

Cheers,
B

Did you check your routing preference? Sounds like it has been set to "Shorter Distance" as the prefered routing option. If you prefer to go via expressway, choose "Faster Time"

alexia;232898 said:
Which is better?
To use the malsing map or the orginal Garmin mapping ?
Any pros and cons between these 2?

Quick points.

Garmin map allows you to use address search, like 10 Orchid Drive, for e.g. But update is less frequent.

Malsing is more updated, new expressway exit/entrace are added regularly. But you cannot search by address. For example, if you look for something along Yio Chu Kang Road, it will be a challenge as it is a long road. So, you will need to have some ideas where you are looking. HDB search works very well though especially after they have added many alley leading to car parks. I have been using Malsing for a long time, I have learnt to balance its pros/cons, no complains as well.

Foods POI is also a great reference if you are looking for something to eat but wasn't sure what is available around the area you are in.

I am not sure if Garmin official maps has red light camera and speed trap alerts, Malsing maps has them. Indispensable tools.

My 2 cents

Hi all

I recently bought a GPS too, thought I'd share the experience.

I took the path less travelled -- didn't know better -- and bought a Packard Bell. See:

GPS > GPS Compasseo > GPS COMPASSEO 600

Overall, the GPS was a god-send since I have poor navigation skills, and bad memory for road names. Now I don't have to curse at road directories, or annoy friends asking them where on earth we are going to meet. Am quite happy with the purchase, so if you are looking for a GPS that's a little cheaper than the usual brands, you might want to consider this as well.

What I liked:
1. Price: SGD788, cheaper than Garmin
2. Physical look: Slick design; looks good on my E90. I like it better than Garmin's looks
3. Bright screen, clear voice
4. Complete Singapore map, Johor and KL maps
5. Good search function, esp by postcode
6. Good traffic info: ERP, speed cameras, etc.
7. Additional useful features: petrol stations, restaurants, churches/mosques/temples
8. Very quick route re-calculation if you deviate from suggestion

What I am ok with:
1. Signal acquisition time: usually about 3-5 min
2. Reasonably accurate positioning
3. Route planning: sometimes very efficient; other times rather silly with convoluted routes

What I disliked:
1. Ugly software interface: interface designed by local company with zero aesthetic sense. Perfectly usable; just not nice to look at
2. The voice command sometimes confuses between left and right turns (graphics showed right turn, voice said left turn)
3. SG and MY maps are separate; if you travel up north, you have to switch maps. Sure it is a 1 min job, but a little annoying
4. User friendliness can be improved upon

Cheers.

Looking for a GPS too.

Just to share if anyone is looking to use their LCD screen, GARMIN has a "black box" retailing at $890. Needs to be installed outside and plugged into ur AV-in..you won't get the touchscreen features and can use the remote provided to key in address. also from perfect watch.

However, shop owner said the GARMIN touchscreen features are not lost on this Panasonic double din unit : CQ-VD6503-W3.

And thank you to the rest for sharing the prices. Good reference.

Nuke;234019 said:
Looking for a GPS too.

Just to share if anyone is looking to use their LCD screen, GARMIN has a "black box" retailing at $890. Needs to be installed outside and plugged into ur AV-in..you won't get the touchscreen features and can use the remote provided to key in address. also from perfect watch.

However, shop owner said the GARMIN touchscreen features are not lost on this Panasonic double din unit : CQ-VD6503-W3.

And thank you to the rest for sharing the prices. Good reference.

Hey Nuke, does that mean we can integrate the GPS into our iDrive LCD screen, but need to use remote to key in the address? :)

BM5er;234349 said:
Hey Nuke, does that mean we can integrate the GPS into our iDrive LCD screen, but need to use remote to key in the address? :)

Wow, that would be so cool.hahaha...

I'm unfamiliar with the setup for the iDrive and screen, maybe Ferd can shed some light on this. I only asked abt aftermarket units.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fun88141
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back