gearbox change experience up north

raymysterio

Hi bros,

Need to seek some advice.

I did the overhaul of my gearbox up north when the red rambutan warning came and the workshop advise on doing the overhaul with the replacement of the clutch plates and solenoids. Proceed to did the change and everything seems ok.

6 months down the road, the gearbox red warning came up again, this time i thought it may be due to the previous overhaul that was not done properly and went back to the workshop. The workshop told me need to change the valve body this time round.

It does not sound logical as I do not experience any jerking after the overhaul and isn't the overhaul and valve body change the same with the solenoids and clutch plate replacement?

For E90 ZF gearbox, the normal ZF overhaul kit comprises of the clutch plates (gear 1-6 plus reverse), various sorts of seals / gaskets, and also solenoids (7 pcs).

The valve body is a metal block (hanging below the transmission) that is exposed when the oil pan is removed. This valve body is a hydraulic unit that controls the clutches in your gearbox. They do not usually have heavy wear and tear but in some cases, repair or replacement of valve body is required.

Hence it can be true that your valve body could be in need or repair / replacement. Best to get a second opinion from another reputable WS before you do go ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: gearbox change experience up north

Suggestion: you may want to look for Codewerz to assist in diagnosing your car computer to see what the fault codes the gearbox is throwing out

Hi Canuck78,

Thanks for the information. I plan to get second opinion on this as the workshop initially wasnt sure what is the issue with the gearbox warning.

I do also understand if the valve body is the problem, i would have experience some jerks during the gear change or during stopping but did not encounter those, that was why i was hesitant.

Thanks

"up north" as in Johor?

My hiadees's 320i used to have this jerk whenever he starts moving off in 1st or 2nd gear. KNN it felt like 'turbo lag', or maybe 'launch control'. rpm goes up...1 second later then the car takes off.

He changed his valve body and since then I haven't heard him complaining.

Ahbengdriver;1084879 said:
My hiadees's 320i used to have this jerk whenever he starts moving off in 1st or 2nd gear. KNN it felt like 'turbo lag', or maybe 'launch control'. rpm goes up...1 second later then the car takes off.

He changed his valve body and since then I haven't heard him complaining.

Thanks for sharing. The funny thing for me is i do not encounter any jerk during gear change after my gearbox overhaul , so i was skeptical when the workshop told me is valve body problem when I do not encounter any jerk during gear change or stopping

oh no...r u one of those who went up with aaron? I heard the other cars all hv the same issues. end up rebuilding when u wanna save $....haiz. why dun u go up north and confront the workshop again?

totoseow;1084889 said:
oh no...r u one of those who went up with aaron? I heard the other cars all hv the same issues. end up rebuilding when u wanna save $....haiz. why dun u go up north and confront the workshop again?

i got the contact from Aaron but didnt went up with him. I went to the workshop yesterday to check on the overhaul, end up they told me now is the valve body issue, but i wasn't too convinced, so have a thought yesterday night and went to seek forum advise before deciding how to proceed

let me tell u something. in life...what u pay is what u get. there is a reason why all the malaysianc mechs come here to work. why the workshops buy parts from singland. all the mechs that come to sing to work are well trained here. workshops hire them cos they r cheaper than our local ITE/polu trained guys. while they can be trained....99% of them do not pocess certs. most of them are apprentice.

Agree with Toto ....

According to the manual -

Were the fault codes read ?

Were the solenoids tested to its ohm ratings ?

Validate correct solenoid kit ?

After the ATF was replaced - was oil level adjustment reset done ?

Mechatronic re calibration needed / done ?

Sleeves and seal adaptor replaced ?

Clutch fill and refill reset done ?

The list goes on ..... Mech needs to follow process one shot to avoid piecemeal replacements .......start with the fault codes.

Red_Bean_Bun;1084925 said:
Agree with Toto ....

According to the manual -

Were the fault codes read ?

Were the solenoids tested to its ohm ratings ?

Validate correct solenoid kit ?

After the ATF was replaced - was oil level adjustment reset done ?

Mechatronic re calibration needed / done ?

Sleeves and seal adaptor replaced ?

Clutch fill and refill reset done ?

The list goes on ..... Mech needs to follow process one shot to avoid piecemeal replacements .......start with the fault codes.

Thanks for the info...unfortunately i was not knowledgeable enough on all the above and didnt ask the mechanic when i was down there yesterday. Initially when i ask the mechanic, he told me the fault code read out was too generic, so he wasnt sure what is the problem yet after which late in the evening, he suddenly bomb out valve body error. Guess i need to try and get this code read out again from another workshop and see what is it before going donw to confront the malaysia workshop again.

Last edited by a moderator:

raymysterio;1084929 said:
Thanks for the info...unfortunately i was not knowledgeable enough on all the above and didnt ask the mechanic when i was down there yesterday. Initially when i ask the mechanic, he told me the fault code read out was too generic, so he wasnt sure what is the problem yet after which late in the evening, he suddenly bomb out valve body error. Guess i need to try and get this code read out again from another workshop and see what is it before going donw to confront the malaysia workshop again.

Hi bro, I just goggled and apparently there is also a ZF valve body rebuild kit. It consists of filter, various seals & o-rings as well as the 7 solenoids.

If there is no jerk, it's highly suspect that it should not be connected to the valve body.

Btw I did my engine overall previously and also more recently, the solenoid change up north with WCA as well. In my past experiences with them, the manager and all the workers are highly competent with bimmers.

I got Codewerz to reset and tune my gearbox so highly suggest you let them take a look first. You will then have more facts to decide on next course of action.

canuck78;1084950 said:
Hi bro, I just goggled and apparently there is also a ZF valve body rebuild kit. It consists of filter, various seals & o-rings as well as the 7 solenoids.

If there is no jerk, it's highly suspect that it should not be connected to the valve body.

Btw I did my engine overall previously and also more recently, the solenoid change up north with WCA as well. In my past experiences with them, the manager and all the workers are highly competent with bimmers.

I got Codewerz to reset and tune my gearbox so highly suggest you let them take a look first. You will then have more facts to decide on next course of action.

Hi bro, Thanks for the adivce. I went to WCA for the gearbox overhaul as I heard about their competencies with bimmers as well.

Well. guess I let the workshops in Singapore to check and then decide on the next course as per your suggestion.

Thanks in advance

raymysterio;1084953 said:
Hi bro, Thanks for the adivce. I went to WCA for the gearbox overhaul as I heard about their competencies with bimmers as well.

Well. guess I let the workshops in Singapore to check and then decide on the next course as per your suggestion.

Thanks in advance

If you gonna ask a Singapore ws to check and not let them tan, do you think they will entertain you on the same issue when you next visit them? Or any other new issues per say..... Seriously, what is the diff (n %) by doing here as compared to up North? I'm curious to know.

The Guardian;1084954 said:
If you gonna ask a Singapore ws to check and not let them tan, do you think they will entertain you on the same issue when you next visit them? Or any other new issues per say..... Seriously, what is the diff (n %) by doing here as compared to up North? I'm curious to know.

Well, the main difference is mainly on the labour cost, of course for simple works, there isn't much difference but if the repair is big scale, then the savings are more substantial.... and of course for some is the service as well.

Ok. If thats the case, I rather drive a low maintenance car to be serivce/repair locally than to drive across the border unless I'm a frequent traveller.

Ya otherwise where's the fun in ownership?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuebt788com

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back