gearbox change experience up north

Re: gearbox change experience up north

My car have been service & repair at WCA, nowadays this is the only ws I send my car in. Previously all along my car was serviced in local site sponsor ws but it is quite upsetting when I faced problem with my car, this ws told me to put car in the ws & wait. they are more keen to change parts & do this and that instead of trouble shooting my problem. Then I get to WCA, they spend time & effort to find out the problem & advise what is require to change. For that evaluation, they did not charge me a single cent. Overall which ws to go to is not about the saving but is the relationship & trust with the ws. I have encountered problem with my car in sg & the boss from WCA came in to sg to help out. This is the reason why I choose to stick with them. Very personal & gd service when u need help..

This is the gear selector lever that is spolit?! I think just need to remove and apply contact spray can ler.

Vansoh;1085469 said:
This is the gear selector lever that is spolit?! I think just need to remove and apply contact spray can ler.

Usually change of the part above should solve the problem.
Of course u should first seek the workshop for the correct diagnostic

canuck78;1085450 said:
So your problem resolved after mechatronic reset by Codewerz?

Monitor for a few days and looks ok, however the warning came back this evening, and even though the local workshops told me gear selector switch sensor is unlikely to spoil so easily..i will need to get the workshops to look into it again.

WCA boss have been very quiet after i feedback on the issue that the gearbox warning is not valve body but selector switch sensor from the readings done by Codewerkz...well...my previous experience have also been good with them...but this incident have made me lose confidence on them in some way...

Sometimes the fault is caused by a delay in signal with the selector ........

Was interesting to see the results of the tests done for the interlocks ..... which alludes to the gear selector.

I am not psychic ...... So could only rely on tests .... the rest is up to a good WS to trace out the fault in a cost effective and solid way ..... Haha !

In a way - it is a form of validation ...... Not really about being right or wrong.

Aaron_BMW;1085476 said:
I know u r taking about this

View attachment 61432

But few of our forum members actually change only this and solved the problem

View attachment 61433

Subject to workshop diagnostic

raymysterio;1085477 said:
Monitor for a few days and looks ok, however the warning came back this evening, and even though the local workshops told me gear selector switch sensor is unlikely to spoil so easily..i will need to get the workshops to look into it again.

WCA boss have been very quiet after i feedback on the issue that the gearbox warning is not valve body but selector switch sensor from the readings done by Codewerkz...well...my previous experience have also been good with them...but this incident have made me lose confidence on them in some way...

Happy that u found the problem and solution.
The selector switch is cheaper and fast to replace.
Please let us know the final outcome.

Wednesday I am going there to screw him for u.

WCA boss have been very quiet after i feedback on the issue that the gearbox warning is not valve body but selector switch sensor from the readings done by Codewerkz...

Regardless of whether they are local workshops or JB workshops, it is DISGUSTING that there are so many dishonest workshops out there who think that we BMW drivers are stupid or can be chopped. Or simply hoodwinked/smoked after their workshop did a half-f'ked job.

7e5uru9y.jpg

Aaron_BMW;1085480 said:
Happy that u found the problem and solution.
The selector switch is cheaper and fast to replace.
Please let us know the final outcome.

Wednesday I am going there to screw him for u.

Thanks Aaron.

Initially I was thinking it could be due to the overhaul of the gearbox after i done with them as my gear in neutral seems to be loose after the repair, so was hoping they could look into it. I was disappointed they didn't rectify the problem when my car was left there for almost a full day but instead trying to sell something else to me on the valve body which wasn't the issue.

It gives me an impression they are trying not to take responsibility on any new problems for the overhaul they have done on the gearbox. Seriously, i wasn't even sure whether the gear selector issue i am facing now is due to the overhaul they done or it could be a case of not doing up the assembly properly after the overhaul.

I didn't get answers for those when i was there and was contemplating whether to go down WCA 1 more time or just continue searching for a more reliable workshop around.

You may want to try R2D, he is good is sorting out stuff like these when you have gremlins under the hood.

raymysterio;1085495 said:
Thanks Aaron.

Initially I was thinking it could be due to the overhaul of the gearbox after i done with them as my gear in neutral seems to be loose after the repair, so was hoping they could look into it. I was disappointed they didn't rectify the problem when my car was left there for almost a full day but instead trying to sell something else to me on the valve body which wasn't the issue.

It gives me an impression they are trying not to take responsibility on any new problems for the overhaul they have done on the gearbox. Seriously, i wasn't even sure whether the gear selector issue i am facing now is due to the overhaul they done or it could be a case of not doing up the assembly properly after the overhaul.

I didn't get answers for those when i was there and was contemplating whether to go down WCA 1 more time or just continue searching for a more reliable workshop around.

Erm...
6 mths ago you overhaul GB with the replacement of the clutch plates and solenoids.
Q1) why did you overhaul previously?
Q2) during this 6mth, anything went wrong with the gearbox?

btw, is the valve body the same as solenoids and clutch plate replacement?

I think I read somewhere that one of the site sponsor workshop gives 6months warranty on the parts they change. in this case, the new problem don't seem to be the parts changed.

The moment the trust between a client and WS is lost, I think its time for you to move on and look for a new WS. just like any relationship.

raymysterio;1085495 said:
Thanks Aaron.

Ya might as well go again. Since your threshold for bullshit seems to be quite high.

Oilman;1085514 said:
Ya might as well go again. Since your threshold for bullshit seems to be quite high.

Not my threshold for bullshit is high. Just that i want to look for answers, i went down again doesn't mean i believe any shit they say

Vansoh;1085497 said:
Erm...
6 mths ago you overhaul GB with the replacement of the clutch plates and solenoids.

I think I read somewhere that one of the site sponsor workshop gives 6months warranty on the parts they change. in this case, the new problem don't seem to be the parts changed.

The moment the trust between a client and WS is lost, I think its time for you to move on and look for a new WS. just like any relationship.

As posted in my gear box thread,
I repaired my gear box solenoid problem in jan 2013.

All I did was only replace the solenoids and gear oil and gear oil pan and retune the gear box.

Took me only half a day
The mileage was 180,000KM
today my mileage is 240,000KM

So far I have not face any problems or break downs.

I only share what was the problem I faced and what is the solution to solve the problem. It's meant to be a sharing of experience for the car so others know what to expect should they face the same jerking problem.

Forum members are free to choose to go any workshop they prefer.

Answer Q1 - did not overhaul gearbox
Answer Q2 - nothing went wrong so far

I additionally wanna add that we may be driving the same car or brand but all wear and tear and break downs are subjective.

Please feel free to call me if needed to.

Aaron

Last edited by a moderator:

Vansoh;1085497 said:
Erm...

Ohh. Sorry

Just realized the questions are not for me.
Oops!!!

Arron, glad to hear that 240kkm your gb is still working great.

Am curious, usually when will gb problem starts to appear for most ppl?

BMW AG says their gearbox is lifetime maintenance free but their lifetime apparently is 100k miles (ie 160k km).

Most ZF gearbox on older BMW fail between 100k to 160k km, hearsay GM ones are better.

If you maintain it well, eg change ATF fluid at fixed intervals, replace the solenoids when gearbox jerky etc your gearbox should last for a long time

nicholasl;1086426 said:
Arron, glad to hear that 240kkm your gb is still working great.

Am curious, usually when will gb problem starts to appear for most ppl?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ncfun88

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back