Gearbox Kaput after 4 years?

Re: Gearbox Kaput after 4 years?

delrosa81;599024 said:
If there is, I would opt to change it to manual and have lesser headaches thereafter....
There are a lot of hi mileage & >10 yr old BMW converts to Manual overseas. For E39, there are some ppl convert to 6 spd unit from Getrag (same as ///M5).

davidtch;599031 said:
There are a lot of hi mileage & >10 yr old BMW converts to Manual overseas. For E39, there are some ppl convert to 6 spd unit from Getrag (same as ///M5).

Yup there is but in local context, it doesnt seem to be very cost friendly as compared to overseas. Also the expertise here from what I see and hear among car enthusiasts doesnt rate very highly for such converts. Also the issues after swapping seems to be quite a headache as there isnt much of anyone with a focused expertise on such swaps.

If swapping gearboxes are as common as swapping rims, I may go for it as its so common, the techs working on it would be very well versed due to the experience and the cost would be much cheaper as well.

Anyways thanks for the headsup Davidtch :)

For me looking at coe prices and the amount of outstanding I have, I guess I have to service my gearbox religiously and try to be as gentle as possible before I have the opportunity to change my ride a few years down the road. sighs....

I've just had the experience with the jerk-stop when the car comes to a traffic light. Car about to turn 5 years (E60 523). Had the software upgrade at PML and the problem went away for 3 days and then recurred. Since then, was fortunate to reacquaint myself with an old friend who now has moved his workshop to Ubi - 5 minute re-program and the problem is gone. Its been a week. The shop is called 2277 at Paya Ubi Industrial Park and his name is Calvin. Tel: 68442277

Am skeptical of claims to change gearbox!

Cheers, Jetman

Jetman,

That's only a quick fix... the issue is that the solenoids in the gearbox is already having problem. Re-programming it merely "suppress" the issues for the time being. End of the day, it might burn an even bigger hole. I know Calvin, previously from Boss. Well, good luck to you.

Many thanks, and you're right - appears that the solenoids require service. Problem returned after a week. Trust the problem will go away after the solenoid service. Please advise if this is not the way to go - appreciate it.

Cheers

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jsjl444

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back