Gearbox Kaput after 4 years?

Re: Gearbox Kaput after 4 years?

I think I am the latest victim for this stupid E60 lurching forward while coming to a complete stop. The SA claimed the version has been upgrade but to no avail and recommended me to change my gearbox for 8k... What should I do??? Feeling damn bloody lousy.. I just got my ride less than 2 weeks ago!!!!!!

:( Helpppppppppppppppp..............

Last edited by a moderator:

Dont go to PML?

James1500;578252 said:
I think I am the latest victim for this stupid E60 lurching forward while coming to a complete stop. The SA claimed the version has been upgrade but to no avail and recommended me to change my gearbox for 8k... What should I do??? Feeling damn bloody lousy.. I just got my ride less than 2 weeks ago!!!!!!

:( Helpppppppppppppppp..............

Hi
PM me your contact, maybe braking or slow down pattern can help to reduce the lurching
forward action which I am unable to express in words here.

Its an inherent problem on the E60. I have it too. Replaced transmission valve body (not at agent). From a moderate lurch forward to occasional and subtle lurch now.

My E90 had the same problems, just replaced my gearbox at PML last week, took a total of 6 days, they also replaced a whole bunch of other things. I'm wondering about the reliability of the whole car man.

Anyways now the car is really nice to drive when new, am considering whether to keep till car for the remaining life is 7 years. But the lifespan of the gearbox worries me as this is a big ticket item man. scary.

how much did it cost u?

Actually I also heard that my friend's 06 730i also have this problem, the SA also recommend gearbox change. And the surprising thing is that the car has not covered 50k yet! Any advice? Maybe a class action claim?

Actually to be fair, the gearbox should not have such a short lifespan due to design issues rather the problem lies with us driving in the city. In europe, ppl drive on autobahns or freeways which span for a rather large distance with minimal start stop traffic, of cos if you are working in the city, it will somewhat affect the lifespan of the gearbox too due to start stop conditions just like Singapore.

Have anyone noticed when U r accelerating along and just about to change up to the next higher gear, the car in front of U stops or slows down alot, U release the accelerator just as suddenly and the gearbox will change up with a jerk as the gearbox is confused. This is one of the major contributing factors to the short lifespan of the gearbox.

There are similar cases of gearbox failures just like us whether be it in the U.S or Europe, but if anyone notices a trend Geographically, then it would mostly happen to people who drives in the city areas very frequently where there are alot of stop start traffic.

There will however be another group of people who lives in the same countries but standby their cars and say, Nope, my car travelled 250,000 miles with not a single issue and no ATF change too! If you look at this particular group of peoples' location, you would notice that hey they are actually located more on the outskirts or the countryside where miles and miles of unobstructed roads are at their disposal.

When we talk about Jap cars, as the Japs are living in densely populated areas like tokyo and the likes, the designers design their gearboxes suited for start stop conditions therefore jap cars seem to have lesser problems with their gearboxes even though they have countryside with miles of unobstructed roads as well.

Of course I'm stating this from my own point of view and just purely my own tots and opinions. Key to this is to find the root cause of failures rather than pressurizing the manufacturer to keep replacing and replacing the gearbox under warranty. If we are able to submit some form of feedback to car manufacturers, hopefully they are able to identify issues with their cars in different countries and driving conditions and cater their systems to cope with these conditions. This will save manufacturer lotsa $$$ in the long run and we as the consumer will be happy as lesser problems, lesser downtime, the happier everyone is.

Just like the HPFP issue in the U.S for 335i, BMW keep replacing and replacing pumps but I do not know for sure did they study what was it that went wrong or someone along the line simply wasn't doing his/her work properly.....

delrosa81;598104 said:
Actually to be fair, the gearbox should not have such a short lifespan due to design issues rather the problem lies with us driving in the city. In europe, ppl drive on autobahns or freeways which span for a rather large distance with minimal start stop traffic, of cos if you are working in the city, it will somewhat affect the lifespan of the gearbox too due to start stop conditions just like Singapore.

Have anyone noticed when U r accelerating along and just about to change up to the next higher gear, the car in front of U stops or slows down alot, U release the accelerator just as suddenly and the gearbox will change up with a jerk as the gearbox is confused. This is one of the major contributing factors to the short lifespan of the gearbox.

There are similar cases of gearbox failures just like us whether be it in the U.S or Europe, but if anyone notices a trend Geographically, then it would mostly happen to people who drives in the city areas very frequently where there are alot of stop start traffic.

There will however be another group of people who lives in the same countries but standby their cars and say, Nope, my car travelled 250,000 miles with not a single issue and no ATF change too! If you look at this particular group of peoples' location, you would notice that hey they are actually located more on the outskirts or the countryside where miles and miles of unobstructed roads are at their disposal.

When we talk about Jap cars, as the Japs are living in densely populated areas like tokyo and the likes, the designers design their gearboxes suited for start stop conditions therefore jap cars seem to have lesser problems with their gearboxes even though they have countryside with miles of unobstructed roads as well.

Of course I'm stating this from my own point of view and just purely my own tots and opinions. Key to this is to find the root cause of failures rather than pressurizing the manufacturer to keep replacing and replacing the gearbox under warranty. If we are able to submit some form of feedback to car manufacturers, hopefully they are able to identify issues with their cars in different countries and driving conditions and cater their systems to cope with these conditions. This will save manufacturer lotsa $$$ in the long run and we as the consumer will be happy as lesser problems, lesser downtime, the happier everyone is.

Just like the HPFP issue in the U.S for 335i, BMW keep replacing and replacing pumps but I do not know for sure did they study what was it that went wrong or someone along the line simply wasn't doing his/her work properly.....

That's a very good explanation. The exact same one that was told to me at a pro BMW workshop listed here. I get a clearer picture of why a Japanese car works better here locally. But how do we send our feedbacks to BMW for them to consider rectifying the problem?

deioruomu;598861 said:
That's a very good explanation. The exact same one that was told to me at a pro BMW workshop listed here. I get a clearer picture of why a Japanese car works better here locally. But how do we send our feedbacks to BMW for them to consider rectifying the problem?

Honestly I tink there is nothing much we can do, the market in SG is too small unless we are china and the market is so huge, we make abit of noise, the manufacturer sure will make steps to resolve the problem.

With the costs in R&D and engineering to redesign the gearbox for such situation maybe a bit not cost effective from their perspective as every country is so much bigger than singapore. The no. of users here simply do not justify the additional R&D costs.

So my guess is to suck thumb and hope they design their gearboxes suited for such situations in future.

Europeans will be europeans, to them Asians are always 2nd class.......

From what I heard about Lexus, the engineers come to Singapore or to their intended markets to study traffic conditions, weather, temperure, etc and take samples of our petrol bring it back for analysis to ensure their engines are tuned to the fuel conditionsin Singapore. Well Im still like a BMW though compared to Lexus so I LL suck thumb too...haa haa cheers and happy motoring!

haha true that we are treated as second class, that's why this is my first BM and will be my last....

Get a second hand gearbox from E60s scrapped for half the cost.

If taxi use BMW sure kena curse like shit.....Look at the Hyundai Sonata used by our Cabs; all with auto-trans and driven like a workhorse...ZF sure make nice shifting gear-box that doesnt last.....

Soomeone told me the most reliable cars on the road today are the Korean's kimchis....and if you look at European marque, Porsche is rated much more reliable than Audi, BMW and Mercedes in US.

zorro;598957 said:
If taxi use BMW sure kena curse like shit.....Look at the Hyundai Sonata used by our Cabs; all with auto-trans and driven like a workhorse...ZF sure make nice shifting gear-box that doesnt last.....

Soomeone told me the most reliable cars on the road today are the Korean's kimchis....and if you look at European marque, Porsche is rated much more reliable than Audi, BMW and Mercedes in US.

Good point noted. Talking about Porsche's and comparing it to other brands like Audi, Bmw and Mercs, Audi, Bmw and Mercs are high and mass volume runners. The main priority of such manufacturers is to sell more the better. In other words its a pure profit kinda philosophy. The car I sell as long as its good enough to last 3 yrs within the warranty period its good enough. Why? Simply bcos the sooner U change and the more U buy, the better it is for me as a manufacturer. How bout cars more than 3 yrs old? Its non of my concern to give U after market support for reliability, but rather when the car gets more problems after the warranty period is better for me, why? Simply bcos you need to buy parts to replace worn out parts, isnt it?

As for Porsche, Im not that sure about their direction, it would seem to me Porsche is a driver's car, the design and manufacture philosophy is different perhaps. Of cos Porsche is profit driven as well and knowing they cannot achieve selling volumes like Audi, Bmw and Mercs, they work on their profit margins, when you move up the pricing ladder, you have to give more in terms of performance, branding, reliability perhaps, etc.

The above is just purely my own opinion and I seriously think this is the way things are going.

delrosa81;598935 said:
Honestly I tink there is nothing much we can do, the market in SG is too small unless we are china and the market is so huge, we make abit of noise, the manufacturer sure will make steps to resolve the problem.

With the costs in R&D and engineering to redesign the gearbox for such situation maybe a bit not cost effective from their perspective as every country is so much bigger than singapore. The no. of users here simply do not justify the additional R&D costs.

So my guess is to suck thumb and hope they design their gearboxes suited for such situations in future.

Europeans will be europeans, to them Asians are always 2nd class.......

From what I heard about Lexus, the engineers come to Singapore or to their intended markets to study traffic conditions, weather, temperure, etc and take samples of our petrol bring it back for analysis to ensure their engines are tuned to the fuel conditionsin Singapore. Well Im still like a BMW though compared to Lexus so I LL suck thumb too...haa haa cheers and happy motoring!
Most german car are designed for autobahn high speed cruising rather than city drive. So, there is a trade-off.

The type fault we seen here is considered mild already. Got time, go to BMWCLUBMALAYSIA & check out problem wif F10 in MY. F10 was not designed for the road condition in MY resulted in all kinds of problem that German nvr encountered. BMW is in the midst of searching for the problems.

The reason Lexus send an engineer here is to ascertain whether our petrol is suitable for DI. Currently, BMW don't sell DI engine outside of EU.

atec1267;598938 said:
haha true that we are treated as second class, that's why this is my first BM and will be my last....

Yeah true in a way but this is the way of life. Im actually not very bothered whether Im treated 2nd class or not but rather my preference and feel of cars.

Current car is my first bmw and if finances permit in future, it will not be my last. Life is short, buy what U like and enjoy it. My next car maybe an Alfa Romeo which 99% of people I spoke to said, wah reliability sucks, etc. Buy already sure regret and the best thing, my dad had an Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 Cloverleaf in the late 80s and early 90s and the problems the car gave was amazing but the driving experience according to my dad was nothing short of phenomenal, except for the reliability. getting stuck in Jams, aircon blows hot air, engine start to overheat, etc. Stalling at the lights for no reason, etc. In this scenario, everyone in the world is worst than 2nd class isnt it?

I love cars since my early teens and I follow my philosophy that if finances permit, buy what I would love and enjoy. Don't let the manufacturer or distributors issues stop U from enjoying your car. Problems are part and parcel of life, which is not only limited to cars isnt it? Women are also a problematic lot, but we still cannot live without women isnt it? haa haa. Cars are much more reliable in this aspect if we look at things from this perspective isnt it?

Cheers TGIF and have a great weekend! :)

davidtch;598961 said:
Most german car are designed for autobahn high speed cruising rather than city drive. So, there is a trade-off.

The type fault we seen here is considered mild already. Got time, go to BMWCLUBMALAYSIA & check out problem wif F10 in MY. F10 was not designed for the road condition in MY resulted in all kinds of problem that German nvr encountered. BMW is in the midst of searching for the problems.

The reason Lexus send an engineer here is to ascertain whether our petrol is suitable for DI. Currently, BMW don't sell DI engine outside of EU.

Yes I agree on the type of roads and traffic conditions where the design is based on.

Yup we are considered lucky already as most of our roads here are pretty well made.

Oic, no wonder. If only BMW sells DI engines other than the 335 here, it would be great! BTW I tot Singapore Petrol quality should be pretty alright even for DI applications, why haven BMW bring in their DI engines here yet...hmmmm clearing their non DI engine parts????

I'm not a mehanical engineer. But I'm just wondering, why is the Agent always recommending gearbox be replaced? I'm quite sure 'plug and play' doesn't apply to items that cost thousands of dollars.

Is there no expertise outside that can help the agent to repair, recond the "damaged" gearbox?Big business opportunity isn't it? In that case, shouldn't BMW manufacture a gearbox that can be repaired? Or for that matter, all manufacturers.

My personal opinion is we are generating lots of wastage by changing just because of a slight problem with the gears. Also I wonder, how much does BMW recover from the gearbox that they changeout? Shouldn't we get value for the old gearbox?

crombie_sg;598983 said:
I'm not a mehanical engineer. But I'm just wondering, why is the Agent always recommending gearbox be replaced? I'm quite sure 'plug and play' doesn't apply to items that cost thousands of dollars.

Is there no expertise outside that can help the agent to repair, recond the "damaged" gearbox?Big business opportunity isn't it? In that case, shouldn't BMW manufacture a gearbox that can be repaired? Or for that matter, all manufacturers.

My personal opinion is we are generating lots of wastage by changing just because of a slight problem with the gears. Also I wonder, how much does BMW recover from the gearbox that they changeout? Shouldn't we get value for the old gearbox?

I would say this is recommended out of Convenience sake. The gearbox is pretty complicated and the downtime required to pinpoint the source of the problem would be quite inefficient from their point of view. Futhermore it may not solve the problem the user is having, so replace the whole gearbox. I am of the view the defective parts are actually re con and overhauled in the factory and repackaged as recon parts for PUMA cases. This cuts costs from the manufacturer's point of view and greatly reduces the repercussion effects on the authorised distributor should a repair job gone wrong. If a replaced gearbox has further issues, its easier for the distributor to just reflect this feedback to the factory and schedule another replacement.

This eases the downtime required for repairs in the big picture. This is not entirely anyone's fault but rather whenever something goes wrong after a supposedly successful repair job it affects their reputation and customer's faith in their products. Therefore a full replacement is almost always recommended in most cases.

But the costs of transferring the costs of a design issue to the consumer which affects reliability for use in our traffic conditions doesnt seem very fair but then again the gearbox is not designed by BMW but rather sourced from a 3rd party transmissions supplier. There are so many after market parts like turbos, rebuilt engines, etc, how come nobody sell aftermarket gearboxes as a performance upgrade? If there is, I would opt to change it to manual and have lesser headaches thereafter....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theforestavn

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back