Gearbox Kaput after 4 years?

Re: Gearbox Kaput after 4 years?

I change my oil pan at 40k too but only use 6 litres of ATF oil...those in the torque converter cannot be flushed... Make sure use the ZF oil pan as there are taiwan make sold by Eng Soon too.

Thanks bro. Can share who/ where did you go to ; to change the ATF + ZF pan oil filter? Thanks

cheers
WL

simple job can go to any mechanics

OK. I will try my regular machanic in this case. Any advice what brand and type of ATF to use? Now that I know that the pan must use ZF brand. Thanks

regards
WL

I use the original ZF Lifeguard 6 speed oil ..you can get from Eng Soon...

Last edited by a moderator:

One last query. The oil filter pan is really expensive. Sgd180/- . Is it neccessary to change it at only 40,000km? Or is it good practises to change AFT + oil pan altogether. Everything new & fresh ; )

regards
WILLIAM

LastI time I paid $200..price drop due to Euro...choice is yours..there is a built-in filter

Alas.... Since I intend to drive it for at least 5 years. Just change everything new for Peace of Mind lah ; )

thanks bro for all the infor.

Regards
WL

Just a word of advise that the oil pan for the pre-facelift e90 is different for dec2008 model from the standard P/N : 24117571217 used. I was told that I need a gasket + filter instead of the oil pan. Good news for me coz it actually cost alot less overall now : )

The best thing to do is to provide the last 2 alphabets and 5 digits of your car chassis and you will have no problems getting the right parts from Eng Soon.

Cheers
WL

That should be the way,,,,Bloody BMW design have the filter molded into the oil Pan...Guess they improve their design in the later version...not sure the oil pan can fit the earlier model so next time can just change filter and gasket only..

that is justone of the lousy design..another lousy design will be the stupid cigrate lighter plug....place inside that bloody handrest box..pui

What a discovery today when my e90 completed the ATF changed. It only used 4.5 litres of oil !! So all in all, the cost of ATF change only cost me less than sgd250/- including labour. That's reasonable for a BMW ; )

So now I still have two new bottles ZF @ 26/- each to sell & give away the 0.5l left over. Just PM me ok?

BTW. I was surprised that BVO quoted me that it will need abt 8-9 litres of oil?!!! I thot this is a BMW sgforum recommended workshop ?

Regards
WL

Some people will try to flush those ATF in the torque converter by running the engine/gearbox i.e the old oil in the torque converter will mix with the rest and drain again so will take another 3-4 litres...Your case is just renewing the ATF in the sump only...How much is your filter and gasket cost? BTW you can return the unopened bottle of ATF or exchange with other parts if you got them from Eng Soon.

flush is obviously better.
old oil mix with new oil = 1/3 old already huh

zorro;559600 said:
Some people will try to flush those ATF in the torque converter by running the engine/gearbox i.e the old oil in the torque converter will mix with the rest and drain again so will take another 3-4 litres...Your case is just renewing the ATF in the sump only...How much is your filter and gasket cost? BTW you can return the unopened bottle of ATF or exchange with other parts if you got them from Eng Soon.

Our gearbox cannot flushed using the machine unlike the E39.. There is no place fill the ATF or check the ATF level from the top unlike E39 or Jap car.

They have to pump the ATF into a hole at the lower bottom of the gear-box until the oil flow out ..

wt_know;559666 said:
flush is obviously better.
old oil mix with new oil = 1/3 old already huh

overflowing is one way to use new oil to push the old oil out
that's why additional few liters are required :D

zorro;559669 said:
Our gearbox cannot flushed using the machine unlike the E39.. There is no place fill the ATF or check the ATF level from the top unlike E39 or Jap car.

They have to pump the ATF into a hole at the lower bottom of the gear-box until the oil flow out ..

Wow..... This is too complicated for me man. I guess I will just have to change the ATF every 30,000km from now onwards to keep the average oil condition fresh to avoid potential gearbox issues ( at least until my car is 5 years old ) :cool:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theforestavn

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back