Gearbox Solenoid Change - Jerking Problem Solved - E90

Re: Gearbox Solenoid Change - Jerking Problem Solved - E90

Dunno what to do sia..
My 2006 E90 has this solenoid problem, plus the engine oil leak problem, suspension fluid also leaking, the water for the windscreen also leaks very fast and to top it all off one of my rear door doesn't want to open anymore(not child lock). Before all this I've experienced engine shutting down on me... overheating..

Plan to fix it up in the recommended workshop in M'sia but am wondering if it's better to unload it and get something else.. But with COE prices so high and the host of problems that need to be fixed pior to selling.. I think I'll never touch a BMW in Singapore again after this. It's my experience- note:not opinion, that perhaps Bimmers are not exactly suited to our temperate and environment.. I mean.. c'mon, even the glue inside the car seems to have effectively melted to some extent(my ceiling's fabric cover is drooping).

Some may say it's just my luck, or a lack of servicing, or perhaps usage pattern causing wear and tear... But what I hope for is some helpful advice on what do do. My ride is falling apart lol.

Hope this helps you:

The good news is all these can be fixed, with new parts at competent workshop. Just buy the parts from eng soon, get it done in MY.

Bad news is repair costs may hit a high of 5-7k+ sgd, either now if not your first year owning this car. E90 quite high wear and tear, esp if previous owner(s) never maintained it properly.

Divide this by 2-3 years left PLUS 2-3k maint budget x each year. Roughly this is what you have to spend if you keep this car.

If you wanna sell, don't bother to fix it, just offload to dealer.

But generally speaking, if you buy a used car just be prepared to spend some $ to fix it up, be it conti or jap makes.

joshua182;1057453 said:
Dunno what to do sia..
My 2006 E90 has this solenoid problem, plus the engine oil leak problem, suspension fluid also leaking, the water for the windscreen also leaks very fast and to top it all off one of my rear door doesn't want to open anymore(not child lock). Before all this I've experienced engine shutting down on me... overheating..

Plan to fix it up in the recommended workshop in M'sia but am wondering if it's better to unload it and get something else.. But with COE prices so high and the host of problems that need to be fixed pior to selling.. I think I'll never touch a BMW in Singapore again after this. It's my experience- note:not opinion, that perhaps Bimmers are not exactly suited to our temperate and environment.. I mean.. c'mon, even the glue inside the car seems to have effectively melted to some extent(my ceiling's fabric cover is drooping).

Some may say it's just my luck, or a lack of servicing, or perhaps usage pattern causing wear and tear... But what I hope for is some helpful advice on what do do. My ride is falling apart lol.

Congrats! You are lucky, at least save yourself 3k not having to fix this as the previous owner(s) changed oil regularly.

easy;1057134 said:
Yup at ws now changing valve cover gasket & vacuum pump, to my great relief the top looks very clean no signs of sludge. Trying Mobil Gold 0W40.

I feel for you bro Joshua. Did you buy it secondhand? If so did you get it inspected by an experienced ws? Buying secondhand bimmers definitely more scary than buying Jap. When I bought mine, I knew it wasn't perfect and reckoned I could stomach the repairs needed but too many problems can be utterly demoralizing.

Hi , can direct me how to recalibrate? If not able do DYI, what is the process workshop do it?
I feel slight thump when from 2nd to 1st gear on D.
Cheers

Aaron_BMW;1056860 said:
Yes, the cheapest way and highest possible method to solve the problem instantly would be to re calibrate first.
Should this fail, then u spend $ to change the hard wares.

There are many cases where the car works fine for a long duration after re calibration and this pro long the usage and saves the $$$ till further damages.

Thhmarc;1057322 said:
Hi Aaron, can pm me contacts for stockist and Workshop.

Thanks.

Ok, PM u now......

joshua182;1057453 said:
Dunno what to do sia..

All the problems that u r facing can be solved easily and are not expensive.

I did my engine, gearbox and roof already. After that car is fine.

satomi;1058285 said:
Hi , can direct me how to recalibrate? If not able do DYI, what is the process workshop do it?
I feel slight thump when from 2nd to 1st gear on D.
Cheers

U need to get the any BMW workshop which uses the "auto logic" device to do so.

Thanks, any one would have part #s(part code #) of the solenoids and oil pan needed for the 320i?

Aaron_BMW;1058368 said:
U need to get the any BMW workshop which uses the "auto logic" device to do so.

If you have your vin number it can be traced ..... If you have questions let me know.

satomi;1058499 said:
Thanks, any one would have part #s(part code #) of the solenoids and oil pan needed for the 320i?

Hi bros

following advice here, especially one Aaron had, decided to try to do the reprogramming of the gear box before doing any major fix.

my 2005 e90 has clocked 44k km , bought it 2 months ago. felt slight jerking when coming to stop at traffic light etc.

so drove today to evo as recommended by other bros and was good to see mechanic taking for test drive to see for himself the issue. since he said not so bad, suggested to chg oil and oil filter (aft). also reprogramming.

I ended up doing only reprogramming to avoid having to spend on it again if need chg solenoid.

He did that, and took for drive again. Jerking stopped for now so he said ok to go. He did say it is temporary fix, but good enough for me.

Bro.last time round when i bought my car.i sent to ws to do alltge rectifications work on the engine oil leak.they also did a reprogramming for me on the gearbox issues but 2 weeks later comes back again.u still need to change the solenoird

satomi;1060610 said:
Hi bros

following advice here, especially one Aaron had, decided to try to do the reprogramming of the gear box before doing any major fix.

my 2005 e90 has clocked 44k km , bought it 2 months ago. felt slight jerking when coming to stop at traffic light etc.

so drove today to evo as recommended by other bros and was good to see mechanic taking for test drive to see for himself the issue. since he said not so bad, suggested to chg oil and oil filter (aft). also reprogramming.

I ended up doing only reprogramming to avoid having to spend on it again if need chg solenoid.

He did that, and took for drive again. Jerking stopped for now so he said ok to go. He did say it is temporary fix, but good enough for me.

Only 44K clocked for a 2005 car? That's more like a 2 years old car..

Might wanna check on the engine if it's so under utilised..

hear you, as it is plastic parts deteriorating over time...in thread read some cars ran for a while (20k) after reprogramming before mechanical surgery. so it was a 85$ bet.

hei, check what on engine? dealer is fixing leak oil by chg seals gaskets . what else should I bee looking at?
mileage seems real given all the old receipts from pml and then 3rd party different ws showing radial increase mileage

Cheers

vexxus;1060614 said:

Only 44K clocked for a 2005 car? That's more like a 2 years old car..

Might wanna check on the engine if it's so under utilised..

Last edited by a moderator:

satomi;1060610 said:
Hi bros

How did the previous owner managed to clock only 44Km in 8 years ???

Aaron_BMW;1061736 said:
How did the previous owner managed to clock only 44Km in 8 years ???

maybe speedo already did one round liao and 44k km is the new round mileage

MW;1061739 said:
maybe speedo already did one round liao and 44k km is the new round mileage

Possible???

44K KM for 8 years means the car only clock only 5500 KM per year.

My car is already 220,000 KM in mileage.

satomi;1060610 said:
Hi bros

Did you mean BVO workshop or evo?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmconsultant
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back