Gearbox Solenoid Change - Jerking Problem Solved - E90

Re: Gearbox Solenoid Change - Jerking Problem Solved - E90

mervinpo;1118551 said:
I went for servicing and the jerk problem disappeared. Occurring very very rarely now... no idea why servicing fixed it for me...

Your servicing got change ATF ? Could be that?

What's atF ?? I only change engine oil. And filter.. That's all. The basic kind. Not sure what else he did

Auto Transmission Fluid

mervinpo;1118564 said:
What's atF ?? I only change engine oil. And filter.. That's all. The basic kind. Not sure what else he did

Local workshop suggest a change of solenoid and the body together, cost around 2k+ to remove the jerk. Guess that would play it safe. At least to be sure the issue is tackled at all angles.

I probably go JB to do it. Anyone wants to go in? I'm going in with another bro from this forum too end of the month.

Money saved could be better use on something else thou it's necessary to pay if want it to be fixed. Just saying :)

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm going with someone else to change his absorber this week too

adagio;1118549 said:
guys, want to check. I asked a local workshop cost for changing gearbox solenoid. They told me mileage 120k normally change solenoid plus valve body or something. Changing solenoid along won't work. Doesn't solve the slight jerk when stopping issue. Is it true that you need to change more than just solenoid?

Not true for my case.
Please seek 2nd opinion else where.
I have changed my solenoid at mileage 180,000KM
my current mileage is 281,000KM.
Unless ur valve body is spoilt, else following my post and change solenoids should be good enough.

Aaron_BMW;1118841 said:
Not true for my case.
Please seek 2nd opinion else where.
I have changed my solenoid at mileage 180,000KM
my current mileage is 281,000KM.
Unless ur valve body is spoilt, else following my post and change solenoids should be good enough.
Thanks will seek second opinion

adagio;1118842 said:
Thanks will seek second opinion

View attachment 68301

For u!
I am a successful example of driving a BMW to almost 300,000 KM mileage and did not spend a lot of $$$ to maintain the car.
I did 2 valve seals changed at around 120,000KM each time and only 1 time solenoids change.
And did nothing else.

Ya you prove the otherwise when first thing people say was bmw maintenance high haha. Valve seal change? I just did my flywheel seal and crankshaft seal. Is it the same?

adagio;1118844 said:
Ya you prove the otherwise when first thing people say was bmw maintenance high haha. Valve seal change? I just did my flywheel seal and crankshaft seal. Is it the same?

Thanks.
The items u changed is not the same.
The fly wheel and crank shaft seals are just simple O Rings and not expensive

My E90 clocked 128k km at the moment and I started experiencing the car 'shaking' without being able to move at all. This will happen when I switch the transmission from 'D' to 'R' or more often from 'P' to 'D'. I noticed the problem comes when I gear shift it too fast when I tend to be in a hurry and I will shift it back to 'P' and wait for 4-5 sec before the 'shaking' stops before I attempt to drive again. But once it starts to drive well, the problem doesn't return throughout the journey.

Signs of some worn out transmission parts or electronics? Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

JT1977;1118977 said:
My E90 clocked 128k km at the moment and I started experiencing the car 'shaking' without being able to move at all. This will happen when I switch the transmission from 'D' to 'R' or more often from 'P' to 'D'. I noticed the problem comes when I gear shift it too fast when I tend to be in a hurry and I will shift it back to 'P' and wait for 4-5 sec before the 'shaking' stops before I attempt to drive again. But once it starts to drive well, the problem doesn't return throughout the journey.

Signs of some worn out transmission parts or electronics? Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

This is not the same as the problem I faced.
Anyone can please advise?

Guys recently noticed when stopped in D at a light the vibration seems to be loud. As if I've installed sports exhaust. Sometimes very quite with minimum vibrations. But the stopped in D vibration and noise seem to be getting more frequent.
Also the solenoid ?

Do you start your car and drive off without a waiting a while in the mornings?

I always have to let my car heat up before i can move off if not i get vibrations at traffic lights and car shakes like im having sex in it

mervinpo;1119139 said:
Do you start your car and drive off without a waiting a while in the mornings?

I always have to let my car heat up before i can move off if not i get vibrations at traffic lights and car shakes like im having sex in it
Mine makes no diff. Quite random I noticed. And it doesn't shake so much just some vibrations with humming...like a small small generator.

When are you going bro?
might wanna join.

adagio;1118603 said:
Local workshop suggest a change of solenoid and the body together, cost around 2k+ to remove the jerk. Guess that would play it safe. At least to be sure the issue is tackled at all angles.

I probably go JB to do it. Anyone wants to go in? I'm going in with another bro from this forum too end of the month.

Money saved could be better use on something else thou it's necessary to pay if want it to be fixed. Just saying :)

Aaron_BMW;1118999 said:
This is not the same as the problem I faced.
Anyone can please advise?

Hi Everyone, I'm a newbie here. I acquired a BMW E90 with 120,000 kms on the odo early this year. Two weeks after I got it, A jerking problem suddenly showed up so I brought it to the mechanic for a check up. They advised me to replace the oil and pan filter first. That didn't seem to solve the problem. I then came across this site because of Aaron's very informative post about this topic. I delayed doing repairs on my car because I eventually learned to deal with the jerking. However, over time, the clutch also started to slip and vibrations started coming up specially when going to reverse. I then brought it to another mechanic who took out the tranny and told me that I needed the gearbox repair kit. They did the repairs but a slight barely noticeable jerk still existed. I ordered the solenoids now and I hope this does the trick. I've read that putting off the solenoid replacement damages your tranny. We might have the same problem. I hope the solenoid replacement finally does the trick. Thanks everyone for all the info here!

Just an update, put the solenoids in today and the Jerking problem has been resolved! Also, no more lag when shifting to reverse whereas there was about a 1 second delay before. Shifting is a bit rough from 1st to 2nd gear now but it is indicated in the zf instructions that this will occur for the next 3-4 weeks or so. Hopefully I have got the problem licked. Thank you Aaron_BMW!

TopKart;1122648 said:
Just an update, put the solenoids in today and the Jerking problem has been resolved! Also, no more lag when shifting to reverse whereas there was about a 1 second delay before. Shifting is a bit rough from 1st to 2nd gear now but it is indicated in the zf instructions that this will occur for the next 3-4 weeks or so. Hopefully I have got the problem licked. Thank you Aaron_BMW!

Don't have to wait for a few weeks.

Did you reprogram the gearbox after solenoid change?

If not, can go look for codewerz to reprogram for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ww88network
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back